FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2020 3:37 AM  #1

Carburetors - What is your favorite brand and why

I know everyone has different opinions on this topic and that's cool, but I am curious on what is your favorite brand of carburetor and why it is your favorite brand.
I have only had experience with Autolite and Stromberg and based on that, the Autolite beats Stromberg for me. My reason is that when the Autolite is tuned correctly, it is such a smooth running carburetor and well matched to the engine. Only negatives I can think of for the Autolite is that they are no longer made, you have to rely on your carburetor being rebuilt and maybe they are not as common as the other brands (most people I talk to have not heard of Autolite).

Last edited by Toploader (11/20/2020 3:38 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/20/2020 6:46 AM  #2

Re: Carburetors - What is your favorite brand and why

Edelbrock hands down.  I've tuned, modified, and rebuilt Holleys, Q-Jets, Autolites, Mikunis, and probably a half dozen other brands whose names I can't recall and wouldn't mean anything if I could. 

My reasoning is simple: the Edelbock is a simple design that is easy to tune.  Parts for it are easy to come by, especially in the various tuning kits they offer.  It is also easy to work on.  Metering rods/springs/jets can be changed in 5 minutes without removing the carb or draining the fuel.  For off road applications the center hung floats are much less susceptible to problems from the vehicle climbing steep hills or bouncing around.  I've yet to have one come out of the box that didn't bolt on the engine and run half decent.  You need to tune them for the application like any carb, but at least you have a half decent starting point out of the box.  Cost wise they are reasonable for a brand new, American made carb.  I also like their variety of options for each size.  Different secondary actuation, choke options, etc.  I'm more old school and prefer a mechanical secondary carb on a vehicle with a manual trans.

I'm going to let you know that these types of polls rarely build consensus, and what you're really seeing isn't necessarily which carb is better or worse than another (that may not even be possible to quantify, and would be based on the discernment criteria if it could be).  What you're seeing is who is more comfortable with which design, and which design makes the most sense to them.  I'm betting most of the discussion here will center around Edelbrock vs. Holey vs. Autolite because this is a Ford forum.  Were we among GM guys you'd get Q-Jets and Carters in there with zero discussion of the Autolite, because part of it also has to do with what carbs the vehicles came with from the factory. 

11/20/2020 8:31 AM  #3

Winfield... "Winner of the Field"
Very simple design, screw-adjustable needle/seat jets for Idle, Intermediate, High Speed, and Accelerator Pump.
And, they were on every Indy winner from 1926 to 1947, or so.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/20/2020 10:45 AM  #4

Eddy for all the above reasons.
I absolutely hate the way my painted intake manifold would 'shed-its-skin' when you HAD to dump gas out of the bowls on a Holly carb(to change jets) Don't happen with Eddys!
There are PAGES of how-to-tune-your-Holley-carb on the internet and it can still be un-nerving. Eddy carbs are explained in just a coupla pages(simple & effective)
An Eddy can be virtually be re-built still bolted to the intake (not a lot of pieces) Holly need to be totally dis-assembled and soaked in cleaning solution (which is now so politically-correct it doesn't work!) sometimes over night!
The only issue I can think of with an Eddy carb is.........they look outta place on a Ford engine.  They are more of a Shivel-lay style carb. Butt.....the only time you 'SEE' the Eddy is when the air cleaner/filter is off (which is rare ...unlike a Holley)
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/20/2020 10:45 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2020 11:47 AM  #5

I guess I am too set in my ways to change, Holley or Autolite. The kSummit street and strip 4100. copy looks good to me as well, although I have no experience with them, they has great reviews.
As for Eddys, put them on engines with the distributor on the wrong end of an engine.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/20/2020 12:19 PM  #6

I like Holley.
Probably the biggest reason is nostalgia.  They came on every real muscle car with very few exceptions.  I am willing to go through a little extra pain to have “the look”.
It has to have the cathedral type bowls, too. None of that single inlet stuff.

Once dialed in, they make great power and drivability.

Edelbrock makes a great carb, no doubt, but they look like they belong on a Chevy.  I have one on my truck, just because it was a great deal on a used working carb.  But it looks like it is missing half the carb.  Looking for 3x2 setup to replace it eventually.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/20/2020 1:11 PM  #7

I have to agree on the look of the Edelbrock, I had one and it performed well, just looked wrong.

I have had great luck with the Summit Racing Carb, that is based on the Holley 4010 that didn't make it. It has a lot of the redeeming features of the Autolite 4100, the biggest for me is no gaskets below the fuel level so no leaks. I think it looks right as well.

If you can find a good one for less than an arm and leg, the Autolite 4100 is awesome. The 2100 was a great carb as well. 

11/20/2020 1:21 PM  #8

Injector Dynamics, oh wait

11/20/2020 2:04 PM  #9

Raymond_B wrote:

Injector Dynamics, oh wait

I like the fuel rails.

11/20/2020 2:42 PM  #10

MS wrote:

I like Holley.
Probably the biggest reason is nostalgia. They came on every real muscle car with very few exceptions. I am willing to go through a little extra pain to have “the look”.
It has to have the cathedral type bowls, too. None of that single inlet stuff.

Once dialed in, they make great power and drivability.

Edelbrock makes a great carb, no doubt, but they look like they belong on a Chevy. I have one on my truck, just because it was a great deal on a used working carb. But it looks like it is missing half the carb. Looking for 3x2 setup to replace it eventually.

3X2?! come on man, take your own advice: 8 stack all the way!

11/20/2020 2:48 PM  #11

I just don't care enough about the aesthetics being different with an Edelbrock to put myself through Holey tuning hell.  My time is just worth too much.  Every "real" musclecar came with bias ply tires too, but we've abandoned those.  All right, all right, I should know not to poke the bear by now.  Its another fan debate.  Let's talk about something less divisive: politics

Or maybe religion...

11/20/2020 3:11 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

Let's talk about something less divisive: politics

Come on ,Man........sez the guy from Delaware!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2020 3:36 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Let's talk about something less divisive: politics

Come on ,Man........sez the guy from Delaware!!
6s6

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!!!!!

The things I could tell you.  Not in a public forum.  I have tact, something that...uhoh, almost fell into it.  No, I'm going to take the high road.  PM me if you want my opinion.

11/20/2020 4:15 PM  #14

I switched to a Summit Racing Carburetor last year and it works really well.  

Steve69

11/20/2020 5:37 PM  #15

Demon
Flows really well and easy to tune

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

11/20/2020 6:13 PM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm going to let you know that these types of polls rarely build consensus, and what you're really seeing isn't necessarily which carb is better or worse than another (that may not even be possible to quantify, and would be based on the discernment criteria if it could be).  What you're seeing is who is more comfortable with which design, and which design makes the most sense to them.  I'm betting most of the discussion here will center around Edelbrock vs. Holey vs. Autolite because this is a Ford forum. 

That's fine... This topic doesn't have to be a fan debate. Personally I am happy to hear people's personal experiences with their favorite carburetor. I think it is interesting to hear and it's still educational.

Last edited by Toploader (11/20/2020 6:15 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/20/2020 7:32 PM  #17

Ever since I started fooling with cars I've overhauled a lot of different carbs from lawn mowers to Morris's and MG's, Fords, Chebbies, and MoPars. All the brands including Marvel Scheiblers (for airplanes). It was never a big deal because you took it apart cleaned it and put it back together and did a few adjustments. Just R&R work, no experimenting, not much learnin. I had never done a Holey or an Eddie. When I started this project I was told the Eddie was the simplest. In my estimation there is nothing simpler than an S.U. It's been educational playing with the Eddie but I think I'm ready for EFI.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/20/2020 7:45 PM  #18

I too perfer Edlebrooks. I started with them long before eldebrooks and they were then AFBs or Carters. I had a Holley Q j on my riv and didn't do anything to it other than idle. On my ZZ4 they said 800 QJ and it was ok but could not get it to run well with my velocity stack air cleaner so I ditched it for a 650 elde and it runs great. Put a Holly 480 I think on my inline 230 six and it to ran good but had to tune it to work right. Eldebrooks are for me. Easy to tune and run well after setting all winter

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/20/2020 7:56 PM  #19

Edelbrock. Easy to tune. No LEAKS. Don't care what it looks like as long as it performs. All the above reasons.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/20/2020 7:56 PM  #20

Quick fuel easily a holly but with more tunability,  Holly's are not that hard.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/20/2020 9:50 PM  #21

My Holley is actually a Quick Fuel version. It has adjustable vacuum advance with the turn of a screw. Big improvement over Holley originals that require a spring change.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2020 7:53 AM  #22

Its a great carb! Biggest thing with Holly's is a good fuel filter

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/21/2020 8:44 AM  #23

I had a Quickfuel and it was my first experience with a mechanical secondary carb. It performed awesome with great kick when you opened it up. But it wouldn’t stay turned, every time the weather changed it acted different. It seemed it never idled the same. I was always tinkering with it.

The Autolite, Eldebrock, and Summit Carb I pulled out of the box, cleaned it, bolted it on and set the idle and forgot about.

11/21/2020 9:25 AM  #24

Started out with no experience at all back in early nineties,
Stock 2100, Holley 1850, then Edelbrock 1406.

The past 20+ years of magazine articles, tv shows, internet, and tech forums I believe that I have a better understanding of carbs...not an expert by any means.

Learning more about distributor tuning at same time has made a difference too.

I had the Edelbrock on the longest.
Perhaps it allowed me to drive and still learn.
This summer working on Holley truck avenger on wife’s truck, I wasn’t apprehensive to pull things apart and make repairs and adjustments.
I was quite surprised at throttle response after my repairs on the truck.
Previous owner definitely had it running rich.

Besides, they all look the same with the hood down at 70mph.😁

11/21/2020 10:10 PM  #25

I like Edelbrock.  They have never failed me.  Bolt on and go.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.