FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2020 10:25 PM  #1

78 granada 302, and a T5

I have a 78 (I think it is) 302w with a t10 in it. one of my winter projects is to put my t5 in  my 64 Falcon. I have been collecting Mustang Steve's parts for some time, clutch cable, the quadrant that welds onto the original clutch peddle, and the transmission brace.   I have the 89 mustang t5 bell housing that i'm going to use .   
 which starter can I use? the one for the t5, or the one for the 302. It is my under standing that with the 302 the balance is different, therefore   I can not use the fly wheel for the 5.0 and the clutch/pressure plate won't work either because the 302 is 10 1/2" while the 5.0 is 11"     any other suggestions or points to consider?                           

11/22/2020 7:42 AM  #2

Re: 78 granada 302, and a T5

If its a '78 engine it uses the old 28 oz. imbalance, not the 5.0 style 50 oz imbalance.  You need a flywheel that's 28 oz imbalance for a two piece rear main seal that takes an 11" clutch. 

Starter wise you can use an automatic starter for a classic V8 Mustang (I just reused the one on my '67 that was a 289/C4 car originally). 

Give serious thought to having a new drivehshaft made.  The stock one may fit, but its really old, likely damaged from corrosion and thus out of balance.  I had a new one made for $260 at a local shop.  A good drivehsaft will reduce a ton of annoying vibration, especially at highway speed. 

11/22/2020 11:02 AM  #3

Old 289/302, including your 1978 version used 10” clutch and had 28 oz.  5.0 used 10.5”.

To use the 10.5” clutch, you need 157 tooth, 28 oz. flywheel for 10.5” diaphragm clutch and automatic starter from a classic or any starter from a 5.0.  Be sure to use the correct block plate for the 5.0 with T5.  Best flywheel is Ford Racing billet in that configuration.

Or, you can use a stock 65-78 flywheel having 157 teeth and a 10” diaphragm clutch and utilize the old starter for a manual transmission. Use the 5.0/T5 block plate.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/22/2020 11:38 AM  #4

Long time ago ..'when-I-was-in-band-camp'......
no seriously when I first installed a T-5 in my 66 (had original 3 speed) I needed to use an A/T starter to  make it work right
They may have changed the starters now to work with either tranny. The "nose" on the starter needs to have a larger opening around the bendix/starter gear to prevent the flywheel from grinding on the starter.
Something to check
6sal6.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/22/2020 1:43 PM  #5

just to be clear, I can use the 78 engine along with the t5 bell housing, and spacer plate, and the 5.0 starter. I am also considering just putting ALL of the 89, 5.0, engine and t5 trans in the car. my last 5.0 didn't run as strong as this 302w, therefore I am conflicted.

11/22/2020 3:51 PM  #6

Yes, that's correct.  If you are going to buy a starter the late 5.0 starters were lightweight gear reduction units that are a nice upgrade.  Just buy a starter for a '92 5.0 Mustang.

If the engine you have runs well then I would use it.  IMO if you had a 5.0 that didn't run strong there was something wrong with it.  My last one still ran strong on 7 cylinders.

11/22/2020 4:50 PM  #7

when I pulled the engine out of the car, I fired it up setting in the garage floor, not exactly a good test but it did run, didn't miss, I could give it a little bit of gas but, there I was just holding onto a running engine sitting in the floor trying my best not to  "over test it".

11/22/2020 5:05 PM  #8

Unless there is a lot done to the '78 engine I would choose the 5.0 hands down.  Even stock it has higher compression, a better cam (roller), and better heads.

11/22/2020 5:29 PM  #9

I am seriously leaning that way, I have all the parts just waiting, engine is sealed up, need to pull the spark pugs and make sure it will still turn over.

11/22/2020 6:27 PM  #10

I put the 5.0/T5 from my 92 and went overboard and included the factory efi setup as well.
The engine was running well before the swap which was important to me before starting the swap project.

I even experimented with porting heads for the first time.
Long winters here, so I had time before summer.
Primarily knocked thermactor bumps down and gasket matched.
Still runs, so i didn’t mess up too bad for a street engine.

No complaints...ok one....need longer summers up here.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/22/2020 6:39 PM)

11/22/2020 8:31 PM  #11

I had ported the original 302 heads that are currently on the car, luanti cam, t 10, headers, aluminum intake,  600 cfm eldelbrock. engine runs pretty strong. been refreshed a couple of times got to be close to 200k miles since I first rebuilt it close to 30 years ago.

11/23/2020 7:43 AM  #12

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 different starters ever used on the SBF. There is the short nose with the drive gear that is recessed inside the case and the long nose with the drive gear exposed. The short nose starter is used with the 164 tooth flywheel and is called the "manual" starter in the parts stores' computers. The long nose starter is used with the 157 tooth flywheel, the 157 tooth flexplate and the 164 tooth flexplate and is called the "automatic" starter in the computers.
Both versions of the starter were originally direct drive. Newer versions are PMGR but they still have the same long or short nose and will interchange with the direct drive.
I have an ancient Lakewood scattershield on the 302 in my '65 and it requires the larger 164 tooth flywheel. I am using a short nose PMGR starter off of a 90's Bronco with a 351W and manual transmission.

11/23/2020 9:03 AM  #13

Texas! wrote:

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 different starters ever used on the SBF. There is the short nose with the drive gear that is recessed inside the case and the long nose with the drive gear exposed. The short nose starter is used with the 164 tooth flywheel and is called the "manual" starter in the parts stores' computers. The long nose starter is used with the 157 tooth flywheel, the 157 tooth flexplate and the 164 tooth flexplate and is called the "automatic" starter in the computers.
Both versions of the starter were originally direct drive. Newer versions are PMGR but they still have the same long or short nose and will interchange with the direct drive.
I have an ancient Lakewood scattershield on the 302 in my '65 and it requires the larger 164 tooth flywheel. I am using a short nose PMGR starter off of a 90's Bronco with a 351W and manual transmission.

Partially correct.

When the 5.0 came out, Ford repositioned the ring gear so all starters are same. Basically the same design as all earlier automatic starters then fits the automatics or the manual transmissions.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.