FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2020 9:30 PM  #1

Installation of standard interior door panel using magnets

Goals:
    -   Have a clean door that does not need water shield goop
    -   Improve the new door panel by strengthening the low quality fiberboard and making it water resistant so to eliminate a separate water shield
    -   Eliminate the clips as a mounting system.  Use neodymium magnets instead

Begin by prepping the door.  After removing the old door panel and water shield, clean the door completely of the goop used to attach the old water shield.  I ended up using a small container of diesel fuel and a small brush to do the initial cleaning.  This melted away the old goop pretty quickly.  Next, I wiped the door with WD40 which easily removed the residue left behind by the diesel fuel cleaning.  Last, I degreased the door completely. 
The first thing I installed on the door was a border of neoprene foam weather stripping.  I used 1/4" wide by 1/8” thick.  Here’s a photo of the door with the weather stripping:    

Next, because my magnets were 1.25 inches diameter, I had to install a 1 inch washer under the magnet.  I was then able to install the magnets.  I used 3M grey molding tape to install these to enable me to remove them in the future if I ever need to.(For the passenger door, I have ordered 1 inch by 1/8 inch thick magnets so that I will not need the washers.)  Here are two photos showing first the washers attached, then the magnets attached. 

Preparation of the door panel:
To strengthen and seal the door panel, I first applied a coat of fiberglass resin directly to the door panel fiber board.  This first coat took just over 2 ounces of resin.  Below you can see the passenger panel without resin and the driver’s side panel with the first coat of resin dry. 

Next I applied the fiberglass tape:

Then I applied the second layer of resin to the door panel.  This coat required almost 5 ounces of resin.  Note:  The panel is stronger now but still flexes if you lift it only from the middle.

Next, I attached strips of sheet metal to the panel to enable the magnets to be used as the mounting system.  I happened to have some old roofing sheet metal so I used it.  I found 5 minute Epoxy glue worked best for gluing the metal to the fiberglass.  I chose JB Weld Clearweld as the glue I used.
Here is the door panel after gluing all the necessary strips:

Now the panel is waterproof, so installing it is simply to place it on the door.  Notice that the magnets hold so securely that vinyl is stretched over the metal mounting points for the arm rest.  This also demonstrates that the strengthened door panel is rigid enough to lay flat even before the arm rest is installed.

Here is a shot of the completed installation:  (Yes,I prefer the ’67 window crank handles over the ’68 style.)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/12/2020 4:56 AM  #2

Re: Installation of standard interior door panel using magnets

Nice write up!  This is on my to do list.  I hadn't considered eliminating the water shields, but I like the idea a lot.

10/12/2020 9:13 AM  #3

NICE!!!..........Love these step-by-step posts.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/12/2020 10:11 AM  #4

Thanks for this great step by step post, I've been wanting to eliminate those spring clips.
And a nice clean work area, wish I could find one!

Last edited by BobE (10/12/2020 10:23 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/23/2020 8:11 PM  #5

Rufus68 wrote:

Goals:
    -   Improve the new door panel by strengthening the low quality fiberboard and making it water resistant so to eliminate a separate water shield

Begin by prepping the door.  After removing the old door panel and water shield, clean the door completely of the goop used to attach the old water shield.  I ended up using a small container of diesel fuel and a small brush to do the initial cleaning.  This melted away the old goop pretty quickly.  Next, I wiped the door with WD40 which easily removed the residue left behind by the diesel fuel cleaning.  Last, I degreased the door completely. 
The first thing I installed on the door was a border of neoprene foam weather stripping.  I used 1/4" wide by 1/8” thick.  Here’s a photo of the door with the weather stripping:    

Next, because my magnets were 1.25 inches diameter, I had to install a 1 inch washer under the magnet.  I was then able to install the magnets.  I used 3M grey molding tape to install these to enable me to remove them in the future if I ever need to.(For the passenger door, I have ordered 1 inch by 1/8 inch thick magnets so that I will not need the washers.)  Here are two photos showing first the washers attached, then the magnets attached. 

To strengthen and seal the door panel, I first applied a coat of fiberglass resin directly to the door panel fiber board.  This first coat took just over 2 ounces of resin.  Below you can see the passenger panel without resin and the driver’s side panel with the first coat of resin dry. 

Then I applied the second layer of resin to the door panel.  This coat required almost 5 ounces of resin.  Note:  The panel is stronger now but still flexes if you lift it only from the middle.

Next, I attached strips of sheet metal to the panel to enable the magnets to be used as the mounting system.  I happened to have some old roofing sheet metal so I used it.  I found 5 minute Epoxy glue worked best for gluing the metal to the fiberglass.  I chose JB Weld Clearweld as the glue I used.

Now the panel is waterproof, so installing it is simply to place it on the door.  Notice that the magnets hold so securely that vinyl is stretched over the metal mounting points for the arm rest.  This also demonstrates that the strengthened door panel is rigid enough to lay flat even before the arm rest is installed.

Here is a shot of the completed installation:  (Yes,I prefer the ’67 window crank handles over the ’68 style.)

I am thinking of stealing your idea and using magnets to mount my door panels too.

Quick question though, why did you install foam weatherstripping around the edge of the door? 

11/23/2020 9:20 PM  #6

Very nice, informative write-up, and excellent work also. I love this forum.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/24/2020 8:48 AM  #7

I installed the foam insulation around the perimeter to seal the interior from the moisture that makes its way inside the door.  Now that the door panel is coated with epoxy, it has become my water shield. 

By the way, it has been over a month since I finished this and it is working great.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/24/2020 10:08 AM  #8

Excellent. Thanks!

11/24/2020 1:00 PM  #9

Great write-up with plenty of details and pictures. I recommend adding your post to the Tips and How-To's category of the forum.

1966 Coupe, 1965 Fastback, 1968 Cougar

11/24/2020 3:37 PM  #10

This is brilliant!

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

11/24/2020 4:22 PM  #11

Where did you source the magnets?

Also, Mochaman did a similar install and his are working out great too. I may now have a winter project on the FB.

11/24/2020 4:51 PM  #12

I searched both Amazon and eBay for them.  I happened to find the best deal at the time from an eBay seller.  I just checked that listing and that seller is out of the magnets I bought.

11/24/2020 5:31 PM  #13

I was looking for the magnets too and had a hard time finding any 1 inchers on Amazon, but I found them here complete with the 3M adhesive. 

https://www.custom-magnets.com/neodymium-magnets-with-adhesive-1-in-round.html

11/24/2020 11:40 PM  #14

Two things are less than ideal with that listing for magnets.  First, 80 mil is a little thin if you are going to put them into the recesses where the original clip holes are.  1/8th inch (125 mil) would be about ideal.  And the second concern is that the listing does not indicate the strength of these magnets.  The neodymium magnets come in different strengths.  If these are the weaker N35 magnets, I would look for a different magnet.  Since the magnet grade is not listed, I'd have to assume they are the weaker and cheaper N35 grade.

11/25/2020 7:14 AM  #15

Thanks, just read in another thread that you used the N52 magnets.

After some searching, it seems the only place I can find them is eBay.  So I guess that is where I will be ordering from.

11/25/2020 7:16 AM  #16

The N52 are crazy strong.  I really think N45 or even N42 would be strong enough in case you find a better deal on these.

1/31/2022 12:17 PM  #17

This was my write up on sealing the doors after I did the Magnet install. The green slime barrier keeps any of the moisture inside the door from getting into the crappy barely better than cardboard door panels. 

FYI FORD MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum » Door Panel Solution (boardhost.com)

1/31/2022 12:19 PM  #18

This is the write up on the magnets I used on a 1965 door panel. I did this 9 years ago and have taken the panels off numerous times Zero damage at any level. Between the magnets and the door handles nothing moves and easily comes off once you remove the door handles and pulls. There is a link in this write up on the magnets that were very strong and very thin. 
FYI FORD MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum » Door Panels and an idea I want to see if anyone else has tried. (boardhost.com)

3/30/2022 5:23 PM  #19

Well, I am finally getting around to starting on this project. Just ordered the magnets the other nigh and now I need to order the door panels, maybe that will get done next month. LOL!

3/31/2022 8:39 AM  #20

I love this innovation. I will do this on my car next time door panels get replaced.
Great ideas.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2022 10:58 AM  #21

This is great!  Those clips can be a PIA to install in the door sometimes. 

5/08/2022 7:16 AM  #22

Rufus68 wrote:

Goals:

I finally have my magnets and door panels and will try to get this later today or next weekend. But as I was thinking about this, another question came to mind.

Is there a reason you didn't lay the metal strips right on the door panel and go over them with the resin and fiberglass tape? 

Doing it that way would save a step and eliminate the risk of the metal separating from the glue. I would think the magnets would plenty strong to hold the panel on even with the thin layer of resin and tape on top of the metal strips.

5/08/2022 11:10 AM  #23

It would be fine putting the metal under the glass since the magnets are so strong.  When I did it, I didn't want the metal covered to enable a stronger magnetic hold. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.