FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2020 2:15 PM  #1

remove fuel pump eccentric dowel pin on camshaft

I have a 97 Explorer 5.0L engine. So when I put it in the mustang I installed a Electric fuel pump because engine was original a Fuel injected. I installed a carb. The fuel pump has failed in short order so I wanted to use a mechanical fuel pump. My problem is I can not get original short dowel pin out of camshaft. I need to replace pin with a longer one. I have tried vise grips. no go. any help on how to get pin out short of removing cam?

11/23/2020 4:36 PM  #2

Re: remove fuel pump eccentric dowel pin on camshaft

The best thing to use is a slide hammer, but you need one that can grip it.  I have one I welded a set of needle nose vice grips too that works great of stuff like this.  Alternately you could weld something to the pin and use that to slide hammer it out. 

11/23/2020 4:46 PM  #3

This should work

https://lmr.com/item/PE1059/79-93-Mustang-50L-Camshaft-Dowel-Pin

ON EDIT: OK wow I fail on comprehension, I thought you were trying to find one... Yikes I'll go stand in the corner now.

Last edited by Raymond_B (11/23/2020 5:44 PM)

11/23/2020 5:36 PM  #4

couldn't you just drill it out and install the new one? mine on my 289 I had to replace because it went in to far and the centrix wouldn't grab.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/24/2020 5:57 PM  #5

Cut a 3/8” bolt 1” long by cutting it under the head.  Protect all cam lobes and bearing surfaces with masking tape or something adequate to protect from weld splatter. 

Weld the bolt to the stud, so as to make the stud longer.  Place a 3/8 drive socket or a steel tube over the bolt threads, leaving about 3/8” threads exposed.  Place a washer and nut on the bolt.  Tighten the nut until it pulls out the stud. 

To install the new stud, freeze it, then drive it in place with a small hammer.

And quit screwing around with electric fuel pumps!!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/24/2020 9:54 PM  #6

MS wrote:

And quit screwing around with electric fuel pumps!!!!

Now ya tell me! Put mine in before I found this place

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/25/2020 1:55 PM  #7

We should send MS an electric fuel pump for Christmas...

11/25/2020 4:55 PM  #8

what am I missing on this post. perhaps i'm not reading it correctly, I thought the fuel injected engines didn't have the centrix so why the dowel pin at all? i am preparing to go down a path kind of like this on a 89 5.0, so i'd like to know if the front of the cas has the hole in it or not, and if it doesen't what options i have, as i too don't want an electric fuel pump.

Last edited by val fulesday (11/25/2020 4:58 PM)

11/25/2020 5:29 PM  #9

Here is a 86 fuel injected 5.0 out of my 86 mustang. Still has the fuel pump eccentric even though it was fuel injected and a pump in the tank. I don't know when they dropped the extra parts.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

11/25/2020 5:38 PM  #10

This is from my ‘92 which is now in the ‘65.
Just a washer.

If I want to run a carb with my current setup, I would add a low pressure regulator and bypass back to tank.

11/25/2020 6:28 PM  #11

val fulesday wrote:

what am I missing on this post. perhaps i'm not reading it correctly, I thought the fuel injected engines didn't have the centrix so why the dowel pin at all? i am preparing to go down a path kind of like this on a 89 5.0, so i'd like to know if the front of the cas has the hole in it or not, and if it doesen't what options i have, as i too don't want an electric fuel pump.

The front of the cam has the dowel hole. I'm running a 90 foxbody 5.0 in my coupe with an E303 cam and mech fuel pump. The Fastback has an Explorer 5.0, foxbody GT cam, mech fuel pump.

11/25/2020 9:49 PM  #12

The dowel’s main job is to connect the camshaft to the timing chain sprocket so they rotate in unison.  Secondary function is to drive the fuel pump eccentric. Two different length dowels were used depending on whether it had a one piece eccentric (longer dowel) or a two piece eccentric (shorter dowel).  Early efi engines had just the center piece of the two piece eccentric, which will fail rapidly if you try to drive a fuel pump with it.  Then the eccentric went away and an oil slinger was installed.  All of the options required a dowel pin.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/26/2020 8:54 AM  #13

Pulled the cam. Put 3/8 bolt in end of camshaft and clamped Dowel pin in vise. Hit head of 3/8 bolt and Dowel pin slipped off of vise. Still firmly in Camshaft.

Sending Cam to Delta Cams to remove pin and install longer Dowel for Eccentric and they are going to reprofile camshaft for a little more torque/HP while still retaining my original GT40 heads/Parts.
Just looking for a reliable Daily Driver.

Thanks for everyones input
Happy THANKSGIVING

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.