FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2020 5:18 PM  #1

Spark plugs

I have not touched them for a couple of years.
Anyone here bead blast them, regap them and screw them back in.
Back in the day any auto shop worth it’s weight in salt had a plug blaster , or I could just put the new set that’s on the shelf in.
I have been running them at .060”, wonder if I should try .040”
Crane ignition with  LX 91 H/O blaster coil.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/26/2020 6:39 PM  #2

Re: Spark plugs

Duraspark distributor/Jacobs ignition and Ultra Coil/69 Windsor heads, I set at .050”

Even stock Duraspark for 78 Granada 302 was .050” federal/ .060” California

92 Mustang stock 5.0 EEC-IV is .054”

As dad usta tell me over and over and over,

“If it works don’t fix it..Dan!!”

So apparently this doesn’t apply to you Rudi.
Just a small wire brush and degreaser/carb cleaner/small screwdriver for cleanup.
Maybe some day a plug cleaner.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/26/2020 6:42 PM)

11/26/2020 6:58 PM  #3

Mine have been in the car 10 years. I drive it a lot. Tune it every spring along with an oil change and fuel filter change.
it runs very strong.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/26/2020 7:32 PM  #4

Sorta related ... has anyone had experience with the HF style plug blaster? I can get the same style here, but not at HF prices, and the reviews are not consistently good or bad.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/26/2020 7:37 PM  #5

If and when I remove them, I hit them carb cleaner, then the wire wheel and check gap.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/26/2020 8:51 PM  #6

Just wondering if bead blasting harms the glaze on the porcelain?

11/27/2020 11:31 AM  #7

It would depend on what the electrode looked like.  Once the tip starts to round off on it they really should just be replaced.  Cleaning them and reusing them if they are otherwise in good shape should be fine.  I've done that on a ton of fouled out plugs for 2 strokes over the years.  Usually I just blast them with a good carb cleaner like 2+2 and then wire brush them and blast with cleaner again.  Never tried the blasters, seems like you would need to do a lot of plugs to make that worthwhile.  Modern engines burn so clean that by the time you have plug issues the plugs are just shot.  Typically they are designed to go 100k or more without issue thanks to platinum electrodes. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/28/2020 7:54 AM)

11/28/2020 7:45 AM  #8

Rudi wrote:

Just wondering if bead blasting harms the glaze on the porcelain?

From what I understand, the bead blasting does harm the glaze on the porcelain.  
Interesting, my father had a spark plug blaster, I haven't seen one in years. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/28/2020 8:40 PM  #9

Used a spark plug cleaner last spring. A buddies worked great just insure you get all the blasting media out of them.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/28/2020 10:05 PM  #10

bearcat wrote:

Used a spark plug cleaner last spring. A buddies worked great just insure you get all the blasting media out of them.

I have a blast cabinet and anticipate using glass beads for media to clean up the plugs.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.