FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2020 1:21 AM  #26

Re: I have decided to change my custom wiring harness around. 1966 289 cou

I've seen the racers panel. Neat lil product I've  heard from a couple guys that it works nice along with their coded wire. For my fuse box I found a lil simple one on Amazon.com. It looks like it would work pretty decent. Looks similar to  a mid 80s G cough M panel only difference no firewall connector.. It even uses the same open barrel connectors. For the price I'm thinking about using this instead kinda nice the circuits are labeled...   I might even save some space by using this 🤔.  I also have my panel set up now under the glove box... BULLET BoBs  Made Famous Intermittent wishie Washie wipers mod, is also gonna happen pretty soon... Is there anything  I need to know about getting a mid 80s ford pick up intermittent wiper module to work in my 1965 Mustang v8 coupe. Funny I noticed when I had to change my switch on my  1987 f:350 Crew Cab  that the wiper switch looked really similar to the early mustang. I was wondering about any problems with the mod.. I remember reading that on 1960s f series trucks that doing this mod eliminates  the washer fluid function. I dunno if thats true or if I'd have to worry about that or not with this application being for my Mustang.  Here is the link to the fuse box I found. 18 circuit with provisions for flasher and hazard flasher built in. 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VP9GDR9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MQB1FbB84Q96C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

Last edited by True74yamaha (12/13/2020 1:34 AM)

12/13/2020 10:14 AM  #27

Washer function:  The switch I have seems to have no provision for the washer motor.  So, I added a momentary push button in the cluster just above the wiper switch.  It's not TOO ugly and will work just fine.  Otherwise the late seventies wipers with the intermittent module is the way to go.  
True:  I'm not sure the simple addition of the module will work with the 65 wiper motor.  I installed the late (67 +) motor also since my 66 motor had given up on parking correctly.  You may want to make sure.  Incidently, the later motor install is NOT a drop in...takes a bit of re-engineering.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (12/13/2020 10:15 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/14/2020 9:06 AM  #28

This is how far I've gotten.  Another nice thing about the replacement Vintage A/C glovebox is that you can install it through the glovebox opening. 
If one is only looking for just a fuse panel, I suggest looking at the the "Blue Sea" line of fuse block products.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/14/2020 9:53 PM  #29

very clean Bob, but no room for my tunes. I will work on this for a while more  thanks for the pic

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

12/18/2020 2:24 AM  #30

BobE wrote:

This is how far I've gotten.  Another nice thing about the replacement Vintage A/C glovebox is that you can install it through the glovebox opening. 
If one is only looking for just a fuse panel, I suggest looking at the the "Blue Sea" line of fuse block products.

That fuse block does look like an awesome product. What type of material is that glove box made out of thats awesome.

12/19/2020 12:25 AM  #31

You get the box, ABS i think when you buy a Vintage Air system. But I believe bob has plans on how to build one that is better.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

12/19/2020 8:45 AM  #32

True74yamaha wrote:

BobE wrote:

That fuse block does look like an awesome product. What type of material is that glove box made out of thats awesome.

It is ABS plastic, about 1/16" thick, quite study, I believe it is available separately from Vintage Air.

12/20/2020 12:12 PM  #33

Bob, have you thought on how you will be routing the wires in? It seams to me that when I did my Ron francis one back 20 years ago in my C10 behind the seat, I had so many wires i didn't realize how many there actually were. I wouldnt need all the relays I have cause I dont have thouse extras. Glad I labled them, I dont even know what there all for now, but still it seams to be a lot of wires.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (12/20/2020 12:27 PM)

12/20/2020 4:16 PM  #34

Well, it is a work-in-progress.  I have generally scoped out. Not shown in the glove box picture are two holes I drilled in each corner of the glove box for wire entry.  With the battery in the trunk, I ran a #10 wire to power the new fuse panel through the rocker panel, under the sill plate on the passenger side.  This wire will be fused, 40amp mega-fuse, mounted in the trunk.
The main power , #1AWG, will run under the car along the frame rail to the starter solenoid, which will be relocated closer to the starter.  The negative cable will also be run under the car and terminate at the starter mounting bolt, and the frame.
Most of the existing wiring in under the dash already, so splicing will be in order.  The old fuse panel will be removed.
This new fuse panel does not include a headlight relay, but I already have relays for the high and low beams installed in the engine compartment.  Power for the headlights, cooling fan, MSD and A/C will tap off the starter solenoid.
I may also make use the original #37 "power" that was attached to the starter solenoid, to feed the engine compartment from the new fuse panel.
My current scheme doesn't not require any additional holes for wiring in the firewall.  In fact, with the addition of the Vintage A/C system, I have the two wires from the old blower motor available for use.

Well, that's the plan right now ... we'll se how many 'design changes' there will be!

12/26/2020 5:05 PM  #35

Ive made some progress I was able to finish up my engine harness. engine bay harness its a customized 1964 falcon harness. I used the two extra pins that usually go to the brake light switch, and used a SAE two pin plug and used them to feed my electric choke and my 3G alternator it even uses the correct color Green/ Red stripe for the Alternator. I have the correct corresponding firewall to underdash connector.  For my exterior light feed I have a stock 65 mustang firewall connector. For the exterior light connector I have customized falcon connector. I has new 18awg for turn signals 14awg  for Horn, HBEAM ,LBeam. I have a tyco heavy duty relay under my dash powering acc. Should I simply not worrry about the exterior #37 wire. I can simply eliminate it right now on the exterior portion of the headlight connector. I was thinking of just hooking up the interior underdash #37 Black/yellow to my relay... or should I rewire that pin on my exterior connector and just have it for extra?

1/01/2021 7:15 PM  #36

Ive made a little more progress on my build so on my exterior light feed firewall plug that I decided to purchase off ebay. Its from a 1965 mustang.

1/01/2021 7:21 PM  #37

The new firewall connector for the new wires I used 14 awg except on the green/black on that  I used 14 awg, and 18 awg for the dash indicator light feed. 

1/02/2021 12:41 AM  #38

Just saw this link should I wire my headlight circuit only like this I do have my underdash relay where I'm Hooking all my hots or black/yellows. Only crappiething is I already Have my green/black in place in my firewall connector and it has the indicator lead there I guess I can always just shorten it. Any suggestions?    

1/12/2021 11:49 PM  #39

Curious which way would be better way to wire the horn relay for the 1965 mustang coupe. I do realize in 1965 Ford Mustangs didn't use a relay to operate the horn. I however would like to add one in my new under dash wiring harness to make the horn louder. I currently have my horn wired as follows: old 461 yellow green to 86. 85 to battery ground. 30 to battery positive black yellow 87. 461 new 14awg to horn firewall connector. Should work right?

I came accross this post. The question I have is if if the below mentioned would be a more ideal way to wire the horn relay?
  The yellow wire at the HEADLAMP switch. This is the original feed wire to the horn circuit. I designed the circuit for simplicity's sake... it's easy to snip the wire at the headlight plug, install a ring terminal on the end, and attach it to a ground under the dash. From there, simply locate your horn wire in the engine compartment, pick a location to mount your relay (near the voltage regulator on the core support would be handy), snip the wire and attach each end to your relay. From there it's just running ONE new wire, with circuit protection, back to the battery/solenoid, etc.

The reason I designed it that way and not leaving the yellow wire connected at the headlight switch and grounding pin 86 instead was to eliminate the chances that a short circuit in the horn switch/steering column would release the electrical genie and his magic smoke should it not be "dead" enough to trip the 15a breaker in the headlight switch (which would also end up killing your tail lights and instrument cluster lights, too) but any short would simply start the horn blowing.

1/13/2021 9:47 AM  #40

Another thing Im thinking id like to add to my car is a seatbelt warning buzzer/ ignition buzzer anyone here add one? I was curious what you guys are using for a replacement.  Im wanting to add one and wire it up so it will light up the seat belt light i want to add to the dash. Other light id like to also add would be a brake warning light. Anyone know wh were I can purchase a replacement connector to fit my 67 style replacement proportioning valve? Also I was wondering if adding a relay to the dash lamp feed if it would be a benefit?

Last edited by True74yamaha (1/13/2021 11:51 AM)

2/23/2021 1:10 AM  #41

Over all except for the aftermarket constant voltage unit, I am really happy with how my gauge harness came out.  I was able find all the terminals and contacts to fabricate a Entirely NEW wiring harness. 

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/23/2021 1:25 AM)

2/23/2021 10:32 AM  #42

Nice job!  Only thing I can suggest is that you scrap that stock bi-metal CVR and build/buy an adjustable solid state regulator. 

https://www.amazon.com/ANMBEST-Converter-Regulator-1-25-35V-Adjustable/dp/B08JF3119C/ref=sr_1_43?dchild=1&keywords=Adjustable+Voltage+Regulator&qid=1614097760&sr=8-43

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/24/2021 9:58 AM  #43

Nice job, that is the one item I didn't plan on doing as I installed the new fuse panel.  I did scope it all out, and as it is something I can do w/o having to get under the dash again, is a "potential" for the future.
Will you be including a multi-pin connector so you can simply plug/unplug the panel if needed?

2/24/2021 2:39 PM  #44

Bullet Bob wrote:

Nice job!  Only thing I can suggest is that you scrap that stock bi-metal CVR and build/buy an adjustable solid state regulator. 

https://www.amazon.com/ANMBEST-Converter-Regulator-1-25-35V-Adjustable/dp/B08JF3119C/ref=sr_1_43?dchild=1&keywords=Adjustable+Voltage+Regulator&qid=1614097760&sr=8-43

BB1

You may need to add a tutorial of calibration process for us young uns.

2/24/2021 4:11 PM  #45

BobE wrote:

Nice job, that is the one item I didn't plan on doing as I installed the new fuse panel.  I did scope it all out, and as it is something I can do w/o having to get under the dash again, is a "potential" for the future.
Will you be including a multi-pin connector so you can simply plug/unplug the panel if needed?

Yes I plan on installing a multi pin connector on my gauge feed harness. Im debating adding a led strip around the perimeter of the cluster housing to give some more back light. I wanted to use all LEDs for all my cluster lights. Thanks again Bullett BoB for helping me out with the relay wiring. 

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/24/2021 11:50 PM)

2/24/2021 11:55 PM  #46

For the guys that have used these black replacement single contact sockets. Have you guys pretty happy with them or do any of you have any problems with this type of socket falling out? It seems like I remembean old post someone made here about that. 

2/27/2021 5:11 PM  #47

True74yamaha wrote:

BobE wrote:

Yes I plan on installing a multi pin connector on my gauge feed harness. Im debating adding a led strip around the perimeter of the cluster housing to give some more back light. I wanted to use all LEDs for all my cluster lights. Thanks again Bullett BoB for helping me out with the relay wiring. 

FYI - I recently installed LED dash lights (1895s) I got from Super Bright LEDs, model # BA9S-GHP5 in my 66 dash panel and am very happy with how much brighter they are.  I had previously installed LED dash lights several years ago and was never pleased with the brightness.
Somewhere along the way, I salvaged several plastic bulb sockets (for 1895 bulbs) from some Ford, the LEDs bulbs fit much better in these sockets then the OEM metal ones.  The issue is that the LED replacement bulb's locking pins diameter (across the bulb) are a slightly smaller then the OEM 1895 bulbs.  You can try to squeeze the metal socket where the pins insert into in order to reduce this diameter with pliers.  The best price I found for replacement plastic sockets is Haywire & Co. at $6.95 ea.

2/27/2021 11:23 PM  #48

I installed replacement rubber 2 wire sockets from Ebay and Bright dark blue led lamps. Very happy with the brightness and they have there own ground. Just twist into the holes tight
=18px20 -Pack T10 Wedge 5-SMD Blue 5050 Led light Bulbs Lamp w5w 2825 158 192 168 194  $9.00
US Location 10Pcs T10 194 168 Wiring Harness Socket Extension for Pigtail Light  $10.00

2/28/2021 7:18 AM  #49

A suggestion that I should have made earlier:
Back in '11 I had occasion to pull the cluster on Glen 1965 5.0 due to a taillight problem.  I discovered that he had extended his cluster wiring to allow the cluster to be removed and set on top of the dash, thus allowing one to work in the hole without having to disconnect all the wiring.  Great idea!
So when I built the new harness for the Heap back in '15 I did as you are doing and built a separate cluster harness extra long and connected it to the main under dash harness with a 16 pin Delphi connector...best of both worlds.

'Nuther late suggestion:  If you use the solid state, adjustable CVR's as I have previously suggested, you can mount one or more of them to a small plastic panel that is secured to the bottom edge of the dash.  That way you can "dial in" your instrument voltage without having to pull the cluster.  With stock instruments I recommend using three of those solid state CVR's.  By using one for each gauge...Temp, Oil, and Fuel...you can custom tune the voltage for each gauge to read where you want it a "normal" running.  The fuel gauge can be tuned using my "Gas Gauge Gage" instructions which I think you have.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/28/2021 7:19 AM)

2/28/2021 4:44 PM  #50

I admire those that are good with wiring.  You guys make it look so easy.

I’ve been trying to decide if I should have my stock harness reworked and updated to accept ac or install a completely new wiring setup.  I’m not an electrician and only know enough to get myself in trouble.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.