FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2022 4:55 AM  #1

Export Braces

What benefit do the one piece export braces have over the standard factory set up?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/20/2022 6:25 AM  #2

Re: Export Braces

It really helps stabilize the shock towers. Makes a noticeable difference. This is one occasion where Scott Drake makes a good concours copy of the original. Cheaper ones with flatter stampings are way inferior in performance and appearance.
In the pics, the chrome one is the cheaper type to avoid. It is not stamped as deep and is way weaker. You can flex it by hand holding it in front of you. The deeper stamped version is rigid.

Last edited by MS (10/20/2022 6:28 AM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/20/2022 7:16 AM  #3

This is a good video that mentions the export brace:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/20/2022 9:07 AM  #4

The deeper stamped ones also are better for holding sockets and other tools when working under the hood.😁

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/20/2022 1:37 PM  #5

Rufus68 wrote:

This is a good video that mentions the export brace:

Great video   YEP I need a export brace,, I tired to fit one on years ago,,,  dam jack just put dent into panel and tower  didn't move,,,  holes  are out of alignment by about 1/2 inch,      guess Ill try again   

10/20/2022 2:36 PM  #6

Thanks very much, I appreciate the information on this and I'm sold on getting one. I will definitely go with the black one that is recommended.
One question though... Do I need to cut anything to mount one?
I had no issues fitting the monte carlo bar, so I'm hoping this means that I won't have any issues fitting the export brace.

Last edited by Toploader (10/20/2022 2:36 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/20/2022 4:22 PM  #7

You probably won't know the fit until you try it.  I got lucky and the export brace dropped right in place on my '68.  Hopefully you'll get lucky too.  Everyone says not to modify the export brace.  If it doesn't fit, move your shock towers.  If you can't move them with a ram, start loosening things, like fenders, until you can.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/20/2022 4:24 PM  #8

Most people remove the spot welded on brackets on the shock towers for better looks, but it's not required.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/20/2022 9:52 PM  #9

Toploader wrote:

Thanks very much, I appreciate the information on this and I'm sold on getting one. I will definitely go with the black one that is recommended.
One question though... Do I need to cut anything to mount one?
I had no issues fitting the monte carlo bar, so I'm hoping this means that I won't have any issues fitting the export brace.

with the Monte Carlo Bar in Place, you should have little difficulty installing the Export Brace. the Bar holds the suspension uprights the correct distance apart.   Otherwise, you may have to use some kind of other separator to get things to line up.  You will find that front end rigidity is improved to that it stays in alignment for a long time.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (10/20/2022 9:54 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/21/2022 9:18 AM  #10

The export brave is a great addition to add some rigid Meas to the car. If your Monti Carlo bar went into place easy then chances are it will line up over the shocks. At the firewall could be a different story. For my car, jacked up the front under the cross member then set it on jack stands at the torque boxes. Then slowly lower the car to get the holes at the firewall to line up. The sag in the car should say something about how the cars flex.   

Great video. I added the plates at the base of the shock towers in 2020 while I was working on the second motor. I had welded up the one shock tower crack before the car went to the paint shop. Steve and Glen welded up the next crack after I got the car on the road. Seems like I found another crack when the plates went in.

I added the metal seat divider too when I put putting the car back together. It’s coated in Lizard Skin products.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/21/2022 9:19 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/21/2022 7:06 PM  #11

Bolted to Floor wrote:

The export brave is a great addition to add some rigid Meas to the car. If your Monti Carlo bar went into place easy then chances are it will line up over the shocks. At the firewall could be a different story. For my car, jacked up the front under the cross member then set it on jack stands at the torque boxes. Then slowly lower the car to get the holes at the firewall to line up. The sag in the car should say something about how the cars flex.   

Great video. I added the plates at the base of the shock towers in 2020 while I was working on the second motor. I had welded up the one shock tower crack before the car went to the paint shop. Steve and Glen welded up the next crack after I got the car on the road. Seems like I found another crack when the plates went in.

I added the metal seat divider too when I put putting the car back together. It’s coated in Lizard Skin products.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess it will be a "see how it goes" situation.
My biggest concern was that whether I needed to cut anything to make the export brace fit.

10/21/2022 7:49 PM  #12

I've never heard of anyone cutting anything to fit an export brace, so I'd say you won't need any cutting or drilling.

Edit:  The only exception to this are the ones that had a factory stub portion of the tower brace spot welded to the towers that remain after removing the 2 part braces.  I think these are only on early cars.  The export brace fits over these though I read where some decide to cut the spot welds and remove these stubs.

Last edited by Rufus68 (10/22/2022 1:35 AM)

10/21/2022 8:01 PM  #13

Glad I could offer something up that helps.

I second the no cutting to make it fit.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/21/2022 9:12 PM  #14

Thanks guys!
I just now need to order it and fit it. The Scott Drake one that was recommended...

10/26/2022 10:42 PM  #15

I added Monte carlo bar and the export brace as well as a 1 inch sway bar could tell the car handled a lot better.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/27/2022 6:08 AM  #16

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I added Monte carlo bar and the export brace as well as a 1 inch sway bar could tell the car handled a lot better.

I already have the monte carlo bar fitted, along with the 1" sway bar. These upgrades alone certainly made a difference for me.

10/30/2022 10:40 AM  #17

I made mine with some rods and heim joints. Used 1/4” aluminum for brackets. The Monte Carlo bar brackets are made from a freight elevator floor. I bought a Monte Carlo bar imported from the Great Wall. It fit so bad the fenders and hood didn’t line up. The car looked like it was wrecked so I made an adjustable one.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/21/2022 6:13 AM  #18

I'm looking to purchase the one piece export brace, but keep wondering how much different it will be to the factory Ford export braces. Does it being one piece make all the difference?

11/21/2022 9:00 AM  #19

Toploader wrote:

I'm looking to purchase the one piece export brace, but keep wondering how much different it will be to the factory Ford export braces. Does it being one piece make all the difference?

The correct one piece makes a big and noticeable difference. It ties all three mounting points together, and puts them in the correct location. Many cars have the shock towers leaning on at the top and need to spread them to fit the MC bar. This Scott Drake piece is one nobody complains about quality, and the only one to buy, imo.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/21/2022 2:00 PM  #20

Thanks Bearing Bob!
So the original Ford braces still flex a lot?

11/21/2022 5:45 PM  #21

One piece makes a 'noticeable difference'
I'm sure the two pieces from FoMoCo was just an economical way to tie the firewall to the shock towers.
Certainly NOT a handling concern.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2022 7:04 PM  #22

The ones like BillyC have are good at bending the firewall flange as they move around. Basically, they do not do anything because the raised part by the firewall acts as a lever arm to bend the firewall flange rather than support the shock towers. Sorry, BillyC, that is just the way physics works. The one piece non-bendable Shelby export brace is much superior. In fact, the two piece originals are much stronger than what you pictured.
This can be demonstrated by simply elongating the adjustable bars and watching as the firewall flange bends as you elongate it. The bending means it is doing nothing to support the shock towers.
Bling does not equal strength.

The one piece original style Shelby export brace is the best structural piece I have come across, bar none. It holds the firewall flange rigid while supporting both shock towers equally.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2022 8:53 PM  #23

Thanks Sal and MS. I'm ordering one, the Scott Drake one as recommended.

11/21/2022 9:10 PM  #24

I bent mine a little bit

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (11/21/2022 9:11 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/23/2022 7:34 PM  #25

The firewall also had a reinforcement welded in on the Shelby’s.

Would the “evenly spaced” export brace make it superior to the “grouped spaced” export brace?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.