FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2023 8:48 PM  #51

Re: Four point bar or not?

Nice work there Bob, I can feel your pain. Now for the fun part of distorting your body to weld them up. That roll bar, along with the convertible inner rockers and one piece seat riser will really stiffen up the chassis. I can jack up my front end by lifting from the rear torque box area.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/24/2023 5:47 AM  #52

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nice work there Bob, I can feel your pain. Now for the fun part of distorting your body to weld them up. That roll bar, along with the convertible inner rockers and one piece seat riser will really stiffen up the chassis. I can jack up my front end by lifting from the rear torque box area.

Thanks, my son was just saying the same thing yesterday.   Hoping I can get the bar welded and primed during the week.  Then back to painting the rest of the mustang.  We have two more weeks with our son before he leaves for SOI training.  He wants to try and paint some parts.  I need to make that happen.   Lol

4/24/2023 7:16 AM  #53

Nice work.  Remember to leave room to install the roof insulation and the headliner. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/24/2023 11:27 AM  #54

BobE wrote:

Remember to leave room to install the roof insulation and the headliner. 

Kinda late for that.

4/24/2023 1:21 PM  #55

Bearing Bob wrote:

BobE wrote:

Kinda late for that.

I don’t think the bar will get in the way of installing the headliner or the insulation.   Speaking of insulation, I need to figure out what to use on the roof.

4/24/2023 9:17 PM  #56

RTM wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

BobE wrote:

Kinda late for that.

I don’t think the bar will get in the way of installing the headliner or the insulation.   Speaking of insulation, I need to figure out what to use on the roof.

I recommend an MTF one piece. Not cheap, but nice with the extra head room.

4/25/2023 3:41 PM  #57

My headliner insulation was replace like 30 years ago and I used the OEM replacement material.  I can say it is still fine. 
Recently, I used Noico “Red” 315 mil Heat & Sound Insulation in the rear seat/trunk area.  Available on Amazon.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/26/2023 10:25 AM  #58

I’ve gone back and fourth on a one piece headliner or stock replacement.   Headroom isn’t much of an issue for me.   I’m only 5-8.  Lol

I should have saved the original insulation from the roof when I replaced that panel.

4/26/2023 11:36 AM  #59

RTM wrote:

Headroom isn’t much of an issue for me.   I’m only 5-8.  Lol

I'll trade ya.

4/26/2023 3:51 PM  #60

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

Headroom isn’t much of an issue for me.   I’m only 5-8.  Lol

I'll trade ya.

Funny, I had for the longest time had wished I was taller.

4/26/2023 11:15 PM  #61

You wouldn't enjoy hitting your head on stuff.

4/27/2023 6:49 PM  #62

Roll bar is almost finished.  Just need to fit and weld the cross bar in.  Then back to the paint work. 

4/28/2023 10:06 AM  #63

Nice welds.
Did you make the 'birds-mouths' with a hole saw?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/28/2023 2:34 PM  #64

6sally6 wrote:

Nice welds.
Did you make the 'birds-mouths' with a hole saw?
6s6

Harbor Freight has a tool that notches tubing.  I feel it saved me a lot of manual grinding by hand.  The HF fixture was slightly off center.  I felt it was close enough and never bothered to shim it to get a perfect center.  I did have to grind the top of the rear bars by hand.  I tried to eye ball the compound angle and I was close, buy decided to not chase this angle and finish them by hand.  I had calculated the notch needed to rotate by 27 degrees.  This was by eyeballing  the amount I needed to rotate it.  I think some where between 30-35 degrees would have gotten it.  I felt it was better to work with what got me close and I knew I could make it work without having to repurchase the rear bars.

The rear cross bar in the picture that is not welded, it came notched with the kit.  This is the final piece I need to fit and weld in.  Then it will be complete.  I'm still not sure why I received two longer straight bars with the roll bar kit when I ordered it.  I think they were either the front or rear straight bars that should have been removed when I purchased the pro street bent bars.  I do not plan on X bracing the main hoop and they are way to long to have been meant for short braces from the hoop to the trans tunnel.  The kit I bought was a main hoop, two rear bars and two door bars.

4/29/2023 3:17 PM  #65

I’m on-call for work and had to go in this morning for a post op pacemaker check.  I was able to fit and weld the final piece of the six point roll bar, the cross bar. I’m very happy with how it’s turned out and do not regret my choices. 

famous english poets biography

4/29/2023 5:40 PM  #66

Do ya have a bar running across (behind the sun visor area) tying the pass & driver side together ?...
      (Makes a really cool place to mount your start button....fuel pump switch....electric fans.)
Is there two bars running forward under the hood?
  Just guessing where the extra tubing may have come from in the kit......
You plan to cover the bar with foam ?
  Since it's mainly a street ride (and a REALLY nice one)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2023 6:15 PM  #67

6sally6 wrote:

Do ya have a bar running across (behind the sun visor area) tying the pass & driver side together ?...
      (Makes a really cool place to mount your start button....fuel pump switch....electric fans.)
Is there two bars running forward under the hood?
  Just guessing where the extra tubing may have come from in the kit......
You plan to cover the bar with foam ?
  Since it's mainly a street ride (and a REALLY nice one)

I only have the six point bar installed in the car.   The main hoop, two rear bars and two door bars.  No other bars added to the car.  Only what you see in the pics.  My guess is the two extra bars were suppose to be swapped out with the pre bent bars.  It was either the rear bars or the door bars.   I only ordered a six point bar.   I don’t recall the kit I bought coming with any other extra bracing, maybe it did and I didn’t catch it when I ordered it. 

Not sure if I’ll pad the bars or not.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.