FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2024 1:55 PM  #1

Anybody tried one of these P/S pumps

I just cannot make myself bolt a chevy pump on my 289. Anybody tried one of these? Or something similar?
I need the performance parameters of the GM Saginaw pump to work with Borgeson steering.

What are you guys successfully running with your Borgeson conversion?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/01/2024 3:41 PM  #2

Re: Anybody tried one of these P/S pumps

I believe the pump is a Saginaw pump that I am running with my Borgeson mod.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/01/2024 3:54 PM  #3

Would it make you feel better if I told you Ford used those Saginaw pumps on a bunch of cars themselves in the 70s?

Would it make you feel worse if I told you those krc pumps you been using are just glorified GM gen 111 pumps?

Individual car parts don't really know or care about their manufacturer affiliation.  If it works and it's what you need, run it.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/01/2024 4:36 PM  #4

Gotta PS pump on my Shivel-lay parts chaser.
250,000 miles and as far as I know It has NEVER had fluid added to it.
Pretty bullet (thx BB) proof.....
(You da only one who'll know it ain't Henrys.... most people are stupid !)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/01/2024 9:06 PM  #5

Josh installed a Lee Power steering pump.

https://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=11982

Ford exterior with Saginaw internals.

He liked it…especially getting rid of the notorious Ford whine.

BTW, the pump in the picture looks like the old Ford Thompson power steering pump with a shiny case.
Notice the square notch at front seal.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/01/2024 9:44 PM)

1/01/2024 9:53 PM  #6

The one I posted was a Saginaw pump with housing to make it look like a Ford pump

1/02/2024 6:02 AM  #7

I missed the small detail on that pump.

However, the Saginaw pump was stock on E-series vans 92+ with 302/351W.

https://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/threads/saginaw-power-steering-pump-swap-on-302-351w-f-series-bronco.13842/
I don’t care for the ham can p/s pump.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/02/2024 6:05 AM)

1/02/2024 6:06 AM  #8

1/02/2024 8:20 AM  #9

I have the ham can that came with the borgeson box. Hate the look. I may try to use the original
Pump and bracket off the 289. It has the 66 style PS pump and bracket. Any success using stock 66 pump with borgeson?

1/02/2024 8:44 AM  #10

I'm using the Borgeson pump on my 65.     

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/02/2024 9:32 AM  #11

Using a Saginaw pump with mine.  There are adapters to allow the use of that pump with a Fox accessory drive.  Wild Horses 4X4 sell them.

The Saginaw pump was used in MANY applications that were not GM.  I wouldn't consider it the same as running a SBC in a '32 Ford, or a 9" rear in a '69 Camaor for that matter. 

1/02/2024 11:57 AM  #12

Ok I get it now.  You want to internals of the Saginaw and the original ish look of the Thompson pump.   I searched around and it looks like there are many different billet type covers for the saginaw.  So maybe something that looks neither could be a compromise?    Ford had a few different looks to their saginaw pumps.  If you can't stand the canned ham look.. (Which is what I have on mine) with the older two piece bracket from wild broncos, there is this one.  Its pretty rare to find, I used to have one but I don't anymore.   I guess you could call it the whiskey bottle?   (Original Ford). Saginaw pump in a unique Ford only case

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/02/2024 12:15 PM  #13

1/02/2024 3:53 PM  #14

Ron68 wrote:

Hey Ron I have same set up as your picture in the 66, just wondering if you ever had one of the long mounting bolts break off. Happened twice to me, once about two years after install, then maybe three years later. They both broke of right at the block. Pretty sure the second one I put in was grade 5.

1/02/2024 4:20 PM  #15

Will the Saginaw pump fit in a Thompson reservoir housing?

1/03/2024 1:57 AM  #16

Jim Bowie wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Hey Ron I have same set up as your picture in the 66, just wondering if you ever had one of the long mounting bolts break off. Happened twice to me, once about two years after install, then maybe three years later. They both broke of right at the block. Pretty sure the second one I put in was grade 5.

The standoff bushings that Borgeson sent me were only 2 1/2", and my installation needed 3". I had the machinist at work make me two 3" steel bushings and I needed longer bolts for the install. I don't recall if they were grade 5 or grade 8 bolts, but I've had no problems with the complete installation and operation since then. I will admit getting the return line on the nipple at the pump was a PITA. I did the install in July of 2010.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/03/2024 6:55 AM  #17

I had one break.  Its a Mickey Mouse mounting deal IMO.  I'm going to go to Fox accessory brackets and the Wild Horses 4x4 adapter for the Saginaw pump at some point. 

1/03/2024 1:32 PM  #18

https://leepowersteering.com/products/ford-cii-power-steering-pump-replacement

Would this be enough for the Borgeson?
It drops into a foxbody setup like factory.

1/04/2024 8:15 AM  #19

Josh used a Lee (Saginaw in Ford Cloths) and liked it.  I got one, liked it also.  Looks just like a Fox/5.0 pump but doesn't moan like a mashed cat, looks like it belongs.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/04/2024 8:42 AM  #20

Jim Bowie – FYI, my Borgeson pump has been installed since 2012 w/o any mounting bolts breaking.  (and there are long)  In 2017, I had to install a different mounting bracket (with different ‘long’ bolts) associated with the Vintage Air installation, so two different set of bolts have been used since the 2012 pump install.  I do not know the grade bolts that were, or are, currently installed. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/04/2024 1:06 PM  #21

Based on what I saw the bolts appeared to be grade 5. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.