FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2021 7:23 AM  #1

Vert seat pan is welded in

Over the last couple of days I was able to make some progress on my build.  The cowl panels are painted on the inside and will be installed this morning.   Painted a few other parts while I had the black paint out.  Plenty of more parts to paint. 

I started to apply sram sealer to the underside of the car and welded in the convertible seat pan.   I also had to patch a couple of small areas after blasting showed those spots to be bad.  I also ordered the new rook panel, passenger side door and the vert seat pans that weld underneath the floor.

1/17/2021 9:48 AM  #2

Re: Vert seat pan is welded in

Depending on your height, you may want to lower the seat pan.  I did not, and at 6'1", and needing to sit more straight up now (for my back), my head is very close to the headliner.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/17/2021 11:48 AM  #3

I’m only 5-8 but will do a lot of research on what brand seat I buy just to make sure I don’t have any issues with height.   

My good friend drive down today to help me glue the cowl in place. This cowl is sealed so well now it will never rust from the inside out. 

1/17/2021 12:25 PM  #4

Did you need any special equipment to use the panel adhesive? 
How bout a detailed how-to  on what and how you did it!? (Cost--difficulty-- long term performance--application ) Really interested on use of this stuff
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/17/2021 12:57 PM  #5

There’s really nothing to it.  You need clean bare metal to bond to.  The bonding has small beads in it to prevent over clamping which will ensure you have a layer of bonding between the panels.   They make the product with a different part number that gives I think a six hour working time.   This one is I think four window. But it starts to tack up pretty soon.

We ran a bead around all of the edges and brushed it out so it covered all the bare metal which we had just prepped prior to applying the bond. Once we had a later brushed on we then ran a small bead around on each panel.  I went with a slightly heavier bead on the firewall lip because it was not super flat from when the old cowl was removed.  Just to make sure I didn’t have any air pockets.  I would rather clean up a little than not have enough bonding material in there.   

We clamped from the center out.  This proved helpful because the outer most edge at the windshield and side panel never fit that great.  We were able to clamp it and with a block of wood and a hammer we got a perfect fit.   

Of course we confirmed the cowl placement before bonding it.   I was able to use a couple of transfer punches and locate off of the firewall holes for the tower brace.  And to be honest the cowl always felt like it fell into place every time I put it on. 

I think this approach is a must for and cowl replacement.  You get the best seal ever and there is no way I could have welded it that fast.  Given how well these new bonds hold and the benefits of the things I mentioned, I will never weld a cowl. 

I think I covered it all.   It’s really that easy.  I did have to buy a special 3M 2-1 bonding gun.  There were cheaper guns for about $20 less but I felt like I should buy the better made unit.  The cheaper one had some bad reviews.  It took little to no effort to apply the bonding.  The gun is very easy to use.

1/17/2021 5:15 PM  #6

Nice work

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/17/2021 6:03 PM  #7

MS wrote:

Nice work

Thanks MS.  👍

1/17/2021 9:28 PM  #8

How much was a tube?
Is there different strengths?
Warranteed?
4 hour working time?
Heat or acetone dissolve it?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/18/2021 5:07 AM  #9

There’s is no warranty and I would never expect one.  How does 3M know if you applied it correctly and even then if they took on such a claim they could take on liability for so many other possible issues. 

I think it’s close to $30 a tube.  I bought two and have plenty left over in the second one.  Which will be used on the roof panel.

Heat will break the bond.

I am not sure on different strengths and only know they have an 8116 that says it has a longer working time.  Now I think the working claim is kind of confusing.  It’s not like it stays soft for four hours.  I think you could remove the panel if need be in that time frame.   It grabbed a hold of the panels as soon as we put the panels down and you could tell it was getting difficult to slide them into position.   Keep in mind the panels had the edges brushed with the bond and sat while other areas where getting the bonding.   I was the one applying it and my buddy followed me and brushed it on to get full coverage.

1/18/2021 1:05 PM  #10

Pretty darn interesting!!
A non welder=no welding machine guy could prolly replace most panels by careful cutting and then using a backing strip of metal to 'mate up' the two panels with near zero gap.
With a solid backing the small amount of filler needed would not be exposed on the back side  (where rust/corrosion could form).
No GRINDING or WARPING and the cost of adhesive and applicator would be wayyy less than welding machine or price of a welder to do it.....Can't really see a major down side.
Thanx fer the great info
6sal6

1/18/2021 5:56 PM  #11

Time will tell if I made the right choice or not.  Lol

2/01/2021 6:32 PM  #12

Got the lower pans cut, fitted and welded in today. 

2/01/2021 6:41 PM  #13

Gotta love that 'overhead welding'.........lift or no lift.
Quite the craftsman (and I don't mean  'a-tool'  )
Nice work!
6sally6

2/01/2021 6:46 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Nice work!
6sally6

Thanks.  Some of the welds are the prettiest and yes welding upside down from the garage floor is a challenge.   Lol

Oh and I’m sure a few of my friends would side with the “a-tool” comment.  😁

2/01/2021 10:18 PM  #15

Real nice fab work there RTM.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/02/2021 8:02 AM  #16

Hot Rodders/craftmen do this sort of thing because they get some indescribable pleasure from creating or improving things.  Check-Writers are missing the essence of the hobby...IMO.  You sir are certainly among the former group and your son is a very fortunate young man.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/02/2021 11:06 AM  #17

RTM wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Nice work!
6sally6

Thanks.  Some of the welds are the prettiest and yes welding upside down from the garage floor is a challenge.   Lol

Oh and I’m sure a few of my friends would side with the “a-tool” comment.  😁

Yepp... A person hasn't truly lived until they are under a car on the ground welding something like exhaust pipe and a piece of splatter lands directly in your ear.  You will never forget that sound of bacon frying when it's you!

Nice work!  My question is are you going to use the bottom tie in plate, or this seems like a chance to make a custom one!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/02/2021 5:44 PM  #18

Bullet Bob wrote:

Hot Rodders/craftmen do this sort of thing because they get some indescribable pleasure from creating or improving things.  Check-Writers are missing the essence of the hobby...IMO.  You sir are certainly among the former group and your son is a very fortunate young man.

Wow thank you.  I’ve never looked at it that way because to me it’s just what I enjoy.   Plus I can’t afford to write checks.  Lol

I do plan on bolting in the connecting flat plate to the lower seat pans together.  But may just make my own.   Not sure yet.  My original plan was to not instal the lower vert pans and was going to build my own X brace.  Since I e decided to add all the vert structural pieces I’m not sure I need the X brace any more.  I have to stop somewhere with all of the chassis improvements.  It’s not an all out race car but would enjoy a trip down the drag strip a few times.

I’ve had a few weld splatters find my ears on more than one occasion.  Funny I was just discussing this same thing at work today.   But I’m happy to say for the first time welding upside down I did not suffer any weld burns of any kind.   However the grinder plus one and my thumb zero.  It’s just a small booboo.  Lol

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.