FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2021 6:01 PM  #1

Painted a few parts today

Started prepping the parts yesterday with ospho and a scuff pad.  Then washed them all down and dried them.  Today I shot them in epoxy primer and then with the same silver I plan on using for my stripes on the car.  It’s early to be painting these parts but they won’t rust and it’s nice to look at. 

Last edited by RTM (1/19/2021 6:02 AM)

1/18/2021 6:28 PM  #2

Re: Painted a few parts today

Could you share the “process” of using that?
What kind of finish does Ospho leave?

Parts look too nice to hide under the car.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/18/2021 6:29 PM)

1/19/2021 6:08 AM  #3

Ospho isn’t applied and left on as a finish.    It can be used to convert rust to an iron.  In that case applying it is a different process than just etching metal with it.  I was etching the bare metal.  I spray the Ospho on and let it sit for 30 minutes or more.  When I spray the ospho I used a scuff pad to remove any light surface rust and it cleaned up all the welded areas on the control arms.  Once the parts sat for a while I rinse with water and a new scuff pad.  Dry the parts with a towel and blow them off real good.  Then I applied epoxy primer and let it tack up and then the color coat was spray.

Last edited by RTM (1/19/2021 6:09 AM)

1/19/2021 10:53 AM  #4

Sooooooooo you 'remove' the rust before putting the Ospho on?  OR  Leave the rust on (like POR-15) and apply it?  Regardless....looks great now!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/19/2021 4:27 PM  #5

I scrubbed all the bare metal with a scuff pad and ospho.   The scuff pad would have been enough to remove the light surface rust which wasn’t really anything at all.  The arms had just been sitting for a while the rust really isn’t worth mentioning.  The reason for the osph was to etch the metal or prepare the metal for epoxy primer.

1/19/2021 4:30 PM  #6

RTM wrote:

I scrubbed all the bare metal with a scuff pad and ospho.   The scuff pad would have been enough to remove the light surface rust which wasn’t really anything at all.  The arms had just been sitting for a while the rust really isn’t worth mentioning.  The reason for the osph was to etch the metal or prepare the metal for epoxy primer.

Gotcha!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/19/2021 10:04 PM  #7

Thanks for explaining the process.
Never heard of it before.

1/19/2021 11:22 PM  #8

your front end looks a bit out of alinement for the grass. lol
Parts look great too

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

1/20/2021 12:02 PM  #9

Cab4word67 wrote:

your front end looks a bit out of alinement for the grass. lol
Parts look great too

Lol.   Thanks. 👍

1/20/2021 12:04 PM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

Thanks for explaining the process.
Never heard of it before.

Hope I made sense.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.