FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2021 7:53 PM  #1

Making a new Mustang rear valance fit

Usually when installing a new rear valance, the lower outer corners will not reach all the way to the quarter panel corners, leaving a 1/4” to 1/2” gap.  Most assume the valance is made too short. But, the problem is the valance has too much curvature across the bottom.  There is “x” distance between the lower points of the quarters. The valance needs to extend “x” distance between those two points.  If you measure across the bottom of the valance, following the curvature of the metal, it will also measure “x”.

The problem is the distance between the quarters is measured in a straight line. Taking the “x” dimension and making it follow a curve means the straight line distance across the valance will be too short, hence the crappy fit.

So, you have two options to get that curved piece to fit across a straight line.  First, you could take a BFH and pound it flat on a 2x6 and spend a week applying bondo and sanding to get it straight again.  Or equally painful, weld in some extensions at the corners.

Or, the MustangSteve “work smarter, not harder” method.  Here is how to fix it simply.  There is a mounting flange at the top of the valance with 11 attaching screw holes. Take that flange and clamp it in a vise a few inches at a time, and bend the flange to more towards the front of the car. In my simple diagram of a cross-section of the valance, take the solid vertical line representing that flange and bend it to approximately where the dashed line is. Bend it maybe ten degrees or so.  This will effectively force the BOTTOM of the valance farther forward as you tighten the top screws. Pushing it forward flattens the curvature of the bottom edge, making it straighter so it reaches all the way from corner to corner where it meets the quarters.   Magically, the valance will now fit correctly.  Since the flange you worked on is hidden behind the rear bumper, any booboos you introduce with a hammer will not show.

Yes, this really does work.  I figured this out about thirty years ago. Hopefully, rear valance manufacturing has improved over time and your new one will fit flawlessly right out of the box.  But, if not, this is how to cure the fitment issues.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/02/2021 8:36 PM  #2

Re: Making a new Mustang rear valance fit

It was kind of funny when I showed this and the BFH method of front fender lip rolling...fender was off and laying face down on a padded surface.  He couldn't believe how nice the valance worked out and he had been working on the front fenders for a few days and about panicked when I went after them with a body hammer.  But he learned something.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/02/2021 9:49 PM  #3

Bullet, you must be talking about my fender “rolling in the grass” method of expanding the front fender clearance.

3/03/2021 6:53 AM  #4

My valance should arrive today with new mounting hardware.  I’ll check the fit as soon as I can.

3/03/2021 6:07 PM  #5

Just to clarify for myself...the entire length of the flange?

Last edited by Nos681 (3/03/2021 6:07 PM)

3/03/2021 7:07 PM  #6

Nos681 wrote:

Just to clarify for myself...the entire length of the flange?

Do the straight part, not the curved ends.  The more you do, the better it will fit. 

Again, hopefully the new repro valances are better made.  If you get gaps at the corners, use this technique.

3/05/2021 10:58 AM  #7

I have a spare valance that didn't work out for my Mustang we can have a class on this method at the bash if you want to show it. 

3/05/2021 1:50 PM  #8

MS wrote:

Bullet, you must be talking about my fender “rolling in the grass” method of expanding the front fender clearance.

Probably the same method 'cept the fender was face-down on a work table covered with old furniture pads. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/05/2021 6:46 PM  #9

Mochaman wrote:

I have a spare valance that didn't work out for my Mustang we can have a class on this method at the bash if you want to show it. 

Good idear. And maybe a fender or two for lip rolling.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/06/2021 2:57 PM  #10

Bearing Bob wrote:

Mochaman wrote:

Good idear. And maybe a fender or two for lip rolling.

All I need is a bench vise and hammer.

3/08/2021 1:17 PM  #11

I received my valance but haven't had time to install it and check the fit.

3/08/2021 8:15 PM  #12

RTM wrote:

I got a dollar that says you're gonna have to massage it

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/09/2021 7:22 PM  #13

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

I got a dollar that says you're gonna have to massage it

Lol it does need work but keep in mind I also have new quarter panels on both sides, it’s all new metal but I did set the quarter panels using the old valance. 

So far I’ve removed the lower inside mounting tabs because they hit the area on the quarter panel.   I will either cut them down to fit or just weld a stud to the valance. 

The passenger side looks like it will fit without work.  Drivers side is short at the top and a little to wide at the bottom. 

I did bend the mounting lip.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.