FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2021 7:55 AM  #1

why I build pre 71 mustangs

I couldn't figure out what this car was        but note below example only has 700 miles     

6/24/2021 11:19 AM  #2

Re: why I build pre 71 mustangs

It's a clean looking car. Should be a 73 according to the grill. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/24/2021 1:52 PM  #3

Grande!

6/24/2021 5:23 PM  #4

I been moving a 30 yr collection of 71 to 73 stuff down from the 2nd floor archive since January. It all has a lot of useful life left yet, and is why I kept it., but what to do with hundreds parts like glass, sheet meta,l hardware and interior stuff. Scrap prices are good now. so I need to see what to do before fall.   Somehow (I don't know where from) I got some Ranchero & Torino and Fairlane stuff mixed in that looks almost the same, but is different...

The big ugly mustangs is a love/ hate thing, but when James Bond could drive a Mach on 2 wheels thru that alley. I had to get me one of them, fresh from Dearborn...

Last edited by red351 (6/24/2021 5:50 PM)

6/25/2021 5:57 AM  #5

red351 wrote:

I been moving a 30 yr collection of 71 to 73 stuff down from the 2nd floor archive since January. It all has a lot of useful life left yet, and is why I kept it., but what to do with hundreds parts like glass, sheet meta,l hardware and interior stuff. Scrap prices are good now. so I need to see what to do before fall.   Somehow (I don't know where from) I got some Ranchero & Torino and Fairlane stuff mixed in that looks almost the same, but is different...

The big ugly mustangs is a love/ hate thing, but when James Bond could drive a Mach on 2 wheels thru that alley. I had to get me one of them, fresh from Dearborn...

I'd throw it on eBay.  You'll be surprised what you can get for a lot of stuff.  '71-'73 there are fewer repro parts available, plus some guys just want original parts due to quality problems with repros.  I've always managed to get great prices for stuff on eBay.  Craigslist is mostly tire kickers and I think its on its way down.  Facebook Marketplace is supposed to be great too and I think I may give that a try for some stuff that's hard to ship.  You don't need to be on Facebook to use it from what I've heard.  

6/25/2021 6:46 AM  #6

NO EBAY. For the trouble of pics, posting, and package and then running 10 miles to the post office, plus I got scam bit a few times as a seller and buyer. eBay and paypal makes the easy $ and can't lose. It's just not worth it for me.

Had planed on doing one more car, but that idea is slowly fading away.

Last edited by red351 (6/25/2021 6:47 AM)

6/25/2021 7:04 AM  #7

I think that every year the mustang was made is an important part of the cars history . I even consider the mustang 2 in that group , On the 71 -73 cars they were poor timing on fords part. If not for the EPA and " gas " shortages who know how its history would be.

If its worth doing do it right !

6/25/2021 1:50 PM  #8

My buddy in HS had a 71 Mach I and it was blue.  Had a 351C in the engine bay.  It had a lot of rust on the 
frame.  He sold it another buddy.   He did a burn out and it pushed the leaf spring right up through the trunk. The 71 was then parted out and went to the junk yard.   I really liked that car!  

6/25/2021 5:43 PM  #9

Steve69 wrote:

My buddy in HS had a 71 Mach I and it was blue.  Had a 351C in the engine bay.  It had a lot of rust on the 
frame.  He sold it another buddy.   He did a burn out and it pushed the leaf spring right up through the trunk. The 71 was then parted out and went to the junk yard.   I really liked that car!  

I kept my original 72 mach for 11 yrs, the same year we got married. As a DD it was a real a rusttang. I can still see the rot around the taillights after the first yr. Compared with 72 wages back then, cars were cheap and most got traded in every 2 yrs
I was in shock the 1st time I traveled MI back then. Most everything below the door handles was gone after 2 yrs.

6/28/2021 3:12 AM  #10

Its not bad looking just needs a make over for me personally to want her. But really its a mustang even those 74-78 can be kinda cool.

6/28/2021 3:14 AM  #11

I actually remember seeing a cool add for the the grande muatamg it was a red car with a black stripe over the roof like a different starsky and Hutch grand torino stripe. Pretty cool looking factory mustang non fastback.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.