FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2021 1:26 AM  #1

Considering synthetic oil

My car had the engine rebuilt in about 2005 and it has about 50,000 miles on it.
I've been running 15W40 mineral oil in it. The car is starting to drop some oil on the garage floor and I am considering changing oil viscosity. The mineral oils don't seem to have the variety, so I was wondering about something like a 10W50 or even 10W60 as a synthetic? I am hesitant to go synthetic, but wondered if it was an option?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/15/2021 5:01 AM  #2

Re: Considering synthetic oil

First, why are you running such a heavy oil?  15W40 is a Diesel weight oil from my experience. 

Second, if you have leaks with conventional oil changing to synthetic will make the problem worse, not better. 

9/15/2021 5:50 AM  #3

I didn't think 15W40 was bad. At the last oil change I couldn't find any 10W30, so I went with the 15W40 instead. My climate doesn't get super cold and rarely dips below 40DegF, so I tend to look more at the second number and what the oil does at operating temperatures.
With the oil drips, I wondered about something with a higher second number to see if that would help.
I thought synthetic might be ok if I went thicker, but I will avoid it.
What oil should I be running on an engine of this age, with around 50,000 miles on it?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/15/2021 12:54 PM  #4

Toploader wrote:

I didn't think 15W40 was bad. At the last oil change I couldn't find any 10W30, so I went with the 15W40 instead. My climate doesn't get super cold and rarely dips below 40DegF, so I tend to look more at the second number and what the oil does at operating temperatures.
With the oil drips, I wondered about something with a higher second number to see if that would help.
What oil should I be running on an engine of this age, with around 50,000 miles on it?

The 289 in my 66 has over 110k miles on it. I use Pennzoil High Milage non synthetic 10w30. It idles with 40 psi oil pressure and uses no oil between changes.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/15/2021 2:18 PM  #5

Probably a stupid question... But has anyone had good experience with an oil additive for oil leaks?
I'm talking about a couple of drips.

9/15/2021 2:22 PM  #6

Toploader wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk but the normal way of addressing a drip/leak is to find out where the fluid is coming from and fix whatever the issue is.   Usually it's a seal or gasket that's not too hard to replace. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/15/2021 2:46 PM  #7

Toploader wrote:

Probably a stupid question... But has anyone had good experience with an oil additive for oil leaks?
I'm talking about a couple of drips.

MS tried it for a rear main seal leak and is convinced it caused his engine to grenade.  IMO those products are temporary fixes at best, and at what cost?  They are basically sold to people that are selling the car and don't want buyers to see oil spots under it.  If you've got leaks, the two best choices are live with them or fix them. 

9/15/2021 2:50 PM  #8

Toploader wrote:

The oil these engines were designed to run was based on an antiquated grading system that's no longer in use.  The closest comparable product would be 10W30, but I run 5W30 and it keeps the oil pressure where I want it.  You don't need more than 10psi per 1,000RPM, so if it spins 6,000RPM it will be fine with 60psi of oil pressure.  Pumping thicker oil and jacking up the oil pressure just wastes power with zero benefit.  Its also working the oil pump harder and placing more strain on the oil pump driveshaft, distributor gear, cam gear, etc.

9/15/2021 3:14 PM  #9

John Ha wrote:

Toploader wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk but the normal way of addressing a drip/leak is to find out where the fluid is coming from and fix whatever the issue is.   Usually it's a seal or gasket that's not too hard to replace. 

It would be the rear main seal. Not so easy to replace...
A common issue in the older Fords.

Last edited by Toploader (9/15/2021 3:17 PM)

9/15/2021 3:21 PM  #10

Thanks for the opinion on the oil additives. I suspected it was snake oil for many years, so I will avoid them.
Sounds like I live with it and eventually look into replacing the rear seal.
Oil wise, I'm tempted to try a 5W30. Would be interesting to see how that weight goes. Has to be better on start up at least.

9/15/2021 3:49 PM  #11

I ran with 10w40 regular oil with a zinc product added for the first 2200 miles the trip to Texas. After I got back drained and switched to Amsoil 10w40 Z rod full synthetic. 

If its worth doing do it right !

9/15/2021 5:04 PM  #12

KM wrote:

I ran with 10w40 regular oil with a zinc product added for the first 2200 miles the trip to Texas. After I got back drained and switched to Amsoil 10w40 Z rod full synthetic. 

I run Amsoil in a lot of stuff.  Its really good oil, but the way you did it is the right way to do it.  Break the engine in on conventional then switch.  I did that with my WRX (switched at 10,000 miles), and no issues until the typical Subaru leaks developed.  I redid the whole top end and resealed the engine at 195k miles and it doesn't leave a single drop.

I'm always a bit baffled by the weight of synthetic oils.  Temperature doesn't really seem to effect the pourability much.  The key I think is the grading is based on whatever test to which they subjected the oil, so if they are going for 10W40 those are the tests they do.  If it meets the tests it gets qualified as 10W40, but I bet it would also pass the test for 5W30.  Look at synthetic gear oil for example.  It pours like engine oil, but its still rated at 80W90.  I tend to just run whatever weight oil is spec'd in synthetic if I go that route, but I know there are claimer classes of racing using crate engines where they run 2 quarts of 0W20 in the engine to get every last fraction of a second they can.  If you do the math the oil pan is empty by half track, yet the engines last an entire season like this without damage.  Its really, really good oil. 

9/17/2021 4:56 AM  #13

I ended up purchasing 5W30 mineral oil. I also purchased a zinc additive just to be sure. Hopefully it will be ok...
I'm finding that mineral oil options are drying up.

Last edited by Toploader (9/17/2021 4:57 AM)

9/17/2021 5:34 AM  #14

Well they did say we were going to run out of oil.  I just didn't think it would be like this...

Yeah, most vehicles have used synthetic oil from the factory since the mid 2000s, so the demand for old school oil is probably less.  I'm sure heavy equipment and tractor supply houses will always carry it because old equipment remains in service a very, very long time.  Marine places as well, but it will be 2x as much as at the auto parts store due to the equation of marine cost vs. automotive cost. 

9/17/2021 5:46 AM  #15

My choices were either
5W30
15W40
20W60
I chose the 5W30 and hope I don't pick up remnants of what was once an engine

9/17/2021 6:54 AM  #16

I read an article several years ago basicly saying synthetic oil was real oil with more refining and more additives in them. Therefore the name synthetic. I went into more detail but you get the jist of it. You do need to be careful about changing from regular to synthetic because of the cleaning ability of it. It has the tendency to know out the big chunks of sludge and then it plugs the small ports and the engine then craters.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/17/2021 7:26 AM  #17

If you want to see if the rear main seal can be swelled, you could try "High Mileage" oil for 3000 miles.  These oils contain the conditioners already in them without needing an extra oil additive.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/17/2021 7:41 AM  #18

There are a lot of misunderstandings about synthetic oil. It is best to read about it. But the bottom line would be that synthetic oil is most different from refined mineral oil in that the synthetic oil base is a more homogeneous collection of properly sized hydrocarbon molecules while refined mineral oil contains a whole host of different sized hydrocarbon molecules including many molecules that are waxes (not good). One of the biggest benefits of synthetic oil is it's ability to flow when cold after being used several thousand miles. Used mineral oils have a really degraded cold flow rate after being used.

Example Article: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/synthetic-oil-31800

If you want to watch a lot of oil testing instead of watching TV, you might find these tests interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectFarm/search?query=synthetic%20oil

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/17/2021 3:34 PM  #19

All oils are made from what they call base stock.  Most synthetic oils are still made from petroleum base stock.  The additives contained in all oils are all synthetic, as the base stock doesn't have them.  This can include agents to achieve a desired weight grading.  Where synthetic shines is that it targets specific hydrocarbon chains to handle heat and stand up to what normally degrades an oil, and removes shorter and longer hydrocarbon chains deemed useless.  Synthetic isn't really a good word.  Engineered might be a better term.  Synthetic seems to imply that the oil originated from sources other than an oil well, which mostly isn't true. 

As for being detergent, all automotive oils are detergent.  You would have to specify a non detergent oil if you wanted it, but the only thing I've ever seen that takes a non detergent oil is an air compressor.  Are synthetics more or less detergent?  Hard to say and it probably depends on the exact formulation, but synthetics don't form sludge because they lack the heavy hyrdocarbons needed to produce it.  As far as cleaning an engine out, if you want to flush an engine substitute 1 pint of AFT for 1 pint of engine oil and change it after 500 miles.  ATF is the most detergent oil I've ever seen.  Far more detergent than any engine oil. 

I personally believe the leaks caused by a synthetic swap is due to the lack of parafins and other heavy hydrocarbons that keep seals pliable and swelled up.  Synthetics have to use additives to achieve this, and it just doesn't seem to be the same. 

9/17/2021 3:48 PM  #20

Thanks guys. It does look like I am stuck with the mineral based oils until I rebuild the engine.
So, is the 5W30 going to be ok with the zinc additive?

Last edited by Toploader (9/17/2021 3:48 PM)

9/17/2021 4:18 PM  #21

Toploader wrote:

Thanks guys. It does look like I am stuck with the mineral based oils until I rebuild the engine.
So, is the 5W30 going to be ok with the zinc additive?

Well if its not we're both going to pay for it I suppose

Yes, it will be fine.  Its what I've run for over 8 years now. 

9/18/2021 6:34 PM  #22

9/19/2021 9:10 AM  #23

I believe in Amsoil so much I became a dealer. Check out the z rod line that is offered they are developed with all the Zink that the older motors need.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.