FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2021 5:22 AM  #26

Re: Would you get under this car?

And moments later..... 

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

12/19/2021 9:19 AM  #27

Bolted to Floor wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

No.
What was the justification for leaving it like that and getting under it?

You can't fix stupid.  It can only be killed, so it may have worked itself out in the end...

I hate to think this is a can’t fix stupid moment where natural selection is the winner. Age and disease takes enough of us from the hobby, no need to add the cars to the list. The focus should be on safe methods of work.

It’s great to get together as a group and do work like this. It’s more fun when everyone goes home without injury. I ain’t a safety guy, but I am the last line of defense for my safety and no one loves me like I love me. If it ain’t safe, call it out and get it there.

I'm not a safety guy either, but I've been to OSHA training, and I'm cognizant of it on all my jobs because an injured worker isn't as productive.  It can get taken WAY overboard (wearing a body harness tied off overhead to climb a 6' ladder comes to mind), but there needs to be some, like don't run an extension cord where everyone is walking.  I don't believe in fear; I believe in respect.  I'm not afraid of the car falling on me because I respect that if it does it will probably cripple or kill me, and therefore make sure its properly supported before I get under it.  But you see stuff like this an it makes you wonder how these guys made it to adulthood, and reminds you that luck is a poor substitute for skill or planning. 

12/19/2021 9:36 AM  #28

I am glad I am not alone in my concerns.

To the owner of the lift, to remain unnamed, please consider correcting this type of situation. Someone could get killed.  Just because you have always done it like this does not make it any safer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/19/2021 10:17 AM  #29

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm not a safety guy either, but I've been to OSHA training, and I'm cognizant of it on all my jobs because an injured worker isn't as productive.  It can get taken WAY overboard (wearing a body harness tied off overhead to climb a 6' ladder comes to mind), but there needs to be some, like don't run an extension cord where everyone is walking.  I don't believe in fear; I believe in respect.  I'm not afraid of the car falling on me because I respect that if it does it will probably cripple or kill me, and therefore make sure its properly supported before I get under it.  But you see stuff like this an it makes you wonder how these guys made it to adulthood, and reminds you that luck is a poor substitute for skill or planning. 

Interesting, I remember when OSHA initiated the safety-harness requirement for working more then 6’ above the floor.  Problem was, in many cases, there wasn’t anything above to tie off the safety lanyard. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/19/2021 10:44 AM  #30

Shirley.............the guy SAW the issue.......took the pic.......and then corrected the obvious problem.....before getting under that death trap!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/19/2021 4:37 PM  #31

6sally6 wrote:

Shirley.............the guy SAW the issue.......took the pic.......and then corrected the obvious problem.....before getting under that death trap!!
6sally6

Sadly I don't think so.  Look at the position of the lift arms in the last picture.  The pads are too far inboard to be on the frame rails.  I think the last pic was taken first, then the others after they saw the way the car they had been working under was supported. 

12/19/2021 4:54 PM  #32

Perhaps the vehicle jut needed to moved ahead six inches,  No way to tell for sure without a picture of rear arm and pad orientation.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/19/2021 10:18 PM  #33

This thread is so awesome!
...many smart minds putting on-notice the less than incredibly-average roaches that poison our wonderful hobby. 
Keep the discussion going.

12/20/2021 7:37 AM  #34

They probably hopefully have the arm pins locked.  If so, the car is not going to fall.  The car will eventually shift on them though, and move about 6 inches or so.  And when it finally happens, their hand and arm will be twisted up into some weird place, trying to remove or install a bolt.  That's when the broken arm happens, or the concussion. 

All the pressure is on the jack arm pins.  If one of those fails...goodbye Earl.

Last edited by Greg B (12/20/2021 7:38 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/20/2021 8:03 AM  #35

Rudi wrote:

Perhaps the vehicle jut needed to moved ahead six inches, No way to tell for sure without a picture of rear arm and pad orientation.

Possibly, but here's the thing.  You position the arms under the vehicle with the pads where they should go.  You start to lift the vehicle and immediately check to see if the pads are ACTUALLY where they are supposed to be.  If not, you drop the lift, reposition, and try again.  You should never take the tires off the ground until you're sure the pads are properly positioned.  It seems likely that lumpkin and company couldn't be bothered to bend over a second time to check where the pads were. 

12/20/2021 9:59 AM  #36

Prof wrote:

Priceless !!!  And all of the dirty corners of the garage tell me this is someone who can't throw stuff away.  Sad...

Hey!!! . . . I  resemble that remark! 🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/20/2021 3:24 PM  #37

I would not get under a car sitting like that.  I wont even walk under my lift until I walk around and check EVERY lock to be sure they are engaged.   I just completed a 42 year career of work in construction and still have all my fingers!  It only takes a few seconds of stupidity like that to end someones life or drastically alter it!  I am not ate up with safety but I'd like to think I have above average common sense.

Going back to a comment from earlier about safety harnesses, I remember working in a factory a few years ago and was working on a scissor lift, I was working about 8 feet above ground and was told I had to wear a tethered harness anytime I was on the lift.  I complied and put the harness on and attached the tether.  Out of curiosity I decided to measure the tether.  According to my calculations the tether would stop my fall approx 6" below ground level!

Not sure who that lift belongs to but the owner is responsible for any one who uses it.

12/20/2021 4:02 PM  #38

terry wrote:

I would not get under a car sitting like that.  I wont even walk under my lift until I walk around and check EVERY lock to be sure they are engaged.   I just completed a 42 year career of work in construction and still have all my fingers!  It only takes a few seconds of stupidity like that to end someones life or drastically alter it!  I am not ate up with safety but I'd like to think I have above average common sense.

Going back to a comment from earlier about safety harnesses, I remember working in a factory a few years ago and was working on a scissor lift, I was working about 8 feet above ground and was told I had to wear a tethered harness anytime I was on the lift.  I complied and put the harness on and attached the tether.  Out of curiosity I decided to measure the tether.  According to my calculations the tether would stop my fall approx 6" below ground level!

Not sure who that lift belongs to but the owner is responsible for any one who uses it.

When I do tool training for our youth group at church every year so they can go to work camp in the summer I always show them both of my hands and tell them I'm worth listening to because after 33 years of power tool use I still have all my fingers. 

12/20/2021 4:27 PM  #39

Hey hold up! How is this my fault! always blame the young guy!!!! for EVERYTHING!! :D
This one was not on me...

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

12/20/2021 5:24 PM  #40

Gaba wrote:

Hey hold up! How is this my fault! always blame the young guy!!!! for EVERYTHING!! :D

No but, that car could have been on you!

12/20/2021 5:39 PM  #41

josh-kebob wrote:

Gaba wrote:

No but, that car could have been on you!

You sir just won the internet  

12/20/2021 5:41 PM  #42

I've had a pickup on top of me at one time, there's nothing like that and to live through it to, to make you look at "what could possibly go wrong"

12/21/2021 4:48 PM  #43

I tend to push the envelop and I wouldn't be working under tht car and especially puuling a trans.

12/21/2021 9:17 PM  #44

nope

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/23/2021 10:14 AM  #45

There was that time that I ran over myself with my own Bronco. 

12/23/2021 11:03 AM  #46

Mochaman wrote:

There was that time that I ran over myself with my own Bronco. 

Sounds like Corky and alcohol were involved.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/23/2021 11:53 AM  #47

terry wrote:

I would not get under a car sitting like that.  I wont even walk under my lift until I walk around and check EVERY lock to be sure they are engaged.  

I'm with you, Terry.  Love my four-post lift and really love the hydraulic rail jack , Butt (TS& T) I pucker up every time I lift a car and I NEVER go under it until I have visually checked that ALL FOUR locks have moved to the locked position.  Like others I've been playing with cars and running power tools for over sixty years and so far, other that a little hide now and then, I still have all my parts.  Now I'm teaching myself to run a mill and it scares the hell out of me.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/25/2021 1:52 PM  #48

Wow, that's scary. NFW would I get under that.

1/02/2022 9:32 PM  #49

I guess this pic answers the question.  No worries. Gaba has that pipe atop the wheeled floor jack just in case.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/03/2022 8:01 AM  #50

A couple years ago I learned the hard way that the swivel locks on my two post lift are not perfect and need checked each time I lift a car!!! I had just installed the new tranny in the 95GT race car and turned to get a beverage when suddenly the car rotated on the lift and half way fell off. The exact time was when there was an earthquake happening centered a few miles away and that shake was enough to get the car/lift to swivel. Passenger side front lift arm was locked drivers side front was not. Car pivoted with the drivers side arm until it was off of the passengers side arm which proceeded to make a mess out of the passengers side door. Luckily, I had my hydraulic lift table sitting under the front of car holding all the tools. I was able to raise the front of car with the hydraulic table enough to get all 4 lift arms back under solid metal. So since then I always check those locks carefully. The wing on the trunk lid ended up saving me because it caught one of the roof trusses enough to stop the fall. I left the crack in the wing just to remind me!!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.