FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2022 12:43 PM  #1

Bilstine shocks on yer 65-66 Mustang??

After conversing with Bearing Bob McDougal & Lt.Dan (Nos681), I've decided no matter how cool Coilovers don't fit the budget. On to Bilstine Shocks to replace the KYB's or just keep the Gas-a-justs.
Had experience with Bilstine Shocks?? Plz do tell  or review.
Also looking for a vendor, Street or Track is good guys, curious bout cheaper price or sale.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/14/2022 2:36 PM  #2

Re: Bilstine shocks on yer 65-66 Mustang??

You might want to explicate your current suspension.

4/14/2022 3:39 PM  #3

Corky,

My 67 is stock suspension and I used to run KYB's. Bolted to Floor sold me all 4 Bilstine shocks for a great price. The difference in how the 67 rode and handled was noticeable. All good!

The advantage to coilovers is the adjustability of ride height so I have been pondering spending the money on a set. Swapping springs or cutting coils is getting old.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

4/14/2022 3:58 PM  #4

I put on 4 Bilistine shocks about 3 years ago and now that I finally got suspension sorted the cars rides very good.   But (T) my car is set up for comfort and HW cruising.  

4/14/2022 4:20 PM  #5

I've got to believe that Bilsteins are going to be better all around than KYBs.  I'm on my second set of KYBs, and they are fine, but Bilsteins weren't available when I first did my suspension 25+ yeas ago, and when I brought the car out of its slumber in 2013 I just put another set of KYBs on it because they were a known quantity. 

4/14/2022 5:53 PM  #6

I haven't heard any bad reviews of Bilsteins.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/14/2022 6:11 PM  #7

I have tried about every kind of shock available on my 66 over the 30 years I have owned it.  Best ride by far is the street tune Bilstein.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2022 8:58 PM  #8

MS wrote:

I have tried about every kind of shock available on my 66 over the 30 years I have owned it. Best ride by far is the street tune Bilstein.

I have a set of the street Bilstein's they were on my 66 for a couple weeks before I wrecked it...I put them on my 65  i had to replace the driver side front after the wreck. The 66 rode better than it ever has before the wreck.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (4/14/2022 8:59 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/16/2022 12:57 PM  #9

The current front suspension: Arning Drop, Roller spring perches, Street or track GT 580lb Progressive rate front springs, KYB Gas -a-justs. Rear suspension; Fiberglass monoleaf mid-eye rear springs, KYB rear shocks.
Seems as though the forum sez, "Bilsteins". Thanks Y'all

Tubo

4/16/2022 4:29 PM  #10

I'm on my second set of KYB's and am happy with them. I can't comment on the Bilsteins.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/18/2022 9:30 AM  #11

I use them on my rear shocks and they ride good compared to the KYB I had prior.

4/18/2022 3:01 PM  #12

I has Bilstiens on my 65.  I'm pretty sure you've rode in it.  They are the bestest

4/18/2022 6:40 PM  #13

REAR
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/2804352/name/RCD-55-R056-Rear-

FRONT
Shockshttps://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/2804346/name/RCD-55-R054-Front-

Shockshttps://www.shockwarehouse.com/cart/cart.cfm

I dont think it has anything to do with me but it says if you put the code BILLY11 in box at checkout you will save $11.00

BY FAR THE CHEAPEST ON THE INTERNET!!!!!
EVEN HAS FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (4/18/2022 7:34 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/18/2022 8:36 PM  #14

My favorite shock was the Gabriel Strider - which is no longer made.  I used them mostly over the years, and was very disappointed when Gabriel stopped making them.  I've tried a number since, but have not been happy with any - Currently, I have KYB GR3's.  Adequate at most.  I leave them on only because I do not carve canyons like I used to.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/21/2022 1:01 PM  #15

I followed BILLY W's link and ordered a set of Sport Valve Bilsteins for the front, with Street Valve BIlsteins for the rear. (there are no Sport Valve Rears) Everyone knows I never really drive in a "Sporty" manner. Butt I like the Idea that Miss May could if ever called uppon to.
Plus I have a set of mildly used KYB's for the asking(Ya gotta pay freight)

Tubo

4/21/2022 3:29 PM  #16

I don’t race, we have no canyon’s locally. I have driven many street and freeway miles with KYB excel g shocks and find the well suited to my driving style and comfort level.
Spirited driving for me is in a straight line with the hammer down for a half mile or so.
Spending big bucks for Koni or Bilsteins is not on my horizon.

Last edited by Rudi (4/21/2022 3:31 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/21/2022 4:29 PM  #17

Anyone with experience with the TCP VariShocks?   I buy much of my stuff from them because they are only an hour's drive, and I can go in to talk face to face if I have a real problem.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.