FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2022 5:53 PM  #1

1965 mustang floor input help please

Im having a hard time deciding whats the best course of action to tank on my floor. I need to remove inner rockers to clean inside the rockers I found spray foam in the end of the rocker after removing inner wheel house. I have a pretty sound floor minus drivers side toe section and along passenger along the floor to firewall flange. I did have to remove the rear section of the floor to repair under the seat. I am really debating drilling out the floor spot welds taking out the seat risers then pull out the original floor. Then remove inner rockers and clean inside. Also at this time it would make it easier to clean inside crossmember also straighten out the floor supports or replace the one.  Also would like to add in torque boxes in front.

5/19/2022 7:19 PM  #2

Re: 1965 mustang floor input help please

Best way is whatever works for you. Was there a specific question?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/20/2022 7:11 AM  #3

I have installed the one piece floor pan and I must say I will never patch another floor pan again.  One you get good clean new metal that's pretty much ready to paint.  Second is it is a much cleaner look when done.  However you are in a tough spot given your floor sounds 80-90% clean.

I would be surprised if the floor is really that clean given the rocker rust you have discovered.  The rocker repair would be far easier with the floor out of the way.  The question would be is it easier to drill out all the floor pan welds and try to save and patch your floor or just remove and install a new one piece pan?

If I was to install a new floor pan I would work on one side of the car at a time and only remove as much of the floor as needed to work on the rocker.  Once you finished one rocker then do the same to the other rocker.  I would try to leave as much of the tunnel in place while working just for peace of mind and it's not a bad idea to have extra structural support to the car.  Before I did all of this I would raise the car and level it.  I like to take measurements from the floor to points on the car where I will be working.  Measure across from rocker to rocker.  I wrote these numbers on the car and on my garage floor.  Make sure all your door gaps look good too before you start cutting.

I would like to add that drilling out the spot welds on the floor pan from underneath the car will be a challenge.  Not only the position you will be working in but trying to get all those welds drilled out and still have a flange to reweld back to the rocker later.

5/21/2022 3:08 PM  #4

RTM my floors really in good overall shape I think I agree on just going with full floor pan in future on next project. Also my Rockers are in great shape from the bottom of the car and from looking at the car from the side. Sucks I need to remove the whole floor so I can remove inner rockers to clean out spray foam. I dont think there will be rust in them to have to repair. I figure its a crap ton easier to remove the floor and remove the inner rockers in two or so sections so I can clean out the foam then to remove outer rockers. Floor wise I have two full floor sections also have firewall patch sections as well already.

Dont know how the full 1 pc floors look in person I have heard mixed review on fitment and on stamp accuracy and crispness on floor style lines. For some cars yes full floor much better option for some people. Plus I dont know about all 1pc floor pans but I wanted to keep the 65 parking brake cable set up. No replacement full floor have the 65 parking brake cable tunnel. Makes sense why no real need to have a correct 1yr only pan. Except for some of us weirdOs that want to keep them. This was my other reason on buying rear floor patch sections.

5/21/2022 3:10 PM  #5

MS wrote:

Best way is whatever works for you. Was there a specific question?

Thank you I like that answer. No real specific question I post pictures in my progress thread in the body section. Mainly wanted to hear some opinions.

5/21/2022 5:46 PM  #6

5/21/2022 5:57 PM  #7

Really the lower section the firewall is the biggest majority of pitting left in the floor of the car. Drivers side foot area needs to have a patch section welded in. I had a friends dad weld a patch section in on that side but I dont like the fitment and the fact that I wasnt able to help his dad finish my car so his dad lapped the new panel over the some of the rusted floor left on the floor support looks horrible. Now I have rust forming on the floor of course. So thats the only other floors that need addressing. Do you guys think Id be better off buying a full firewall and sectioning it for my car? I was thinking of buying a firewall and cutting the lower section off just below where the heater sits. What do you guys think would be a good course of action? Also last photo I posted I havent sand blasted it.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/21/2022 5:57 PM)

5/22/2022 5:56 AM  #8

Why can't you clean it out from the wheel tub opening?  Maybe cut small openings in the rockers to get at it instead of removing parts of the floor?  

5/22/2022 5:35 PM  #9

Looks to me like you're "gitt'en-after-it-pretty-good"!  Continue on is my opinion!
              "Slice-and-dice, Baby"!!           "Cut-to-suit....beat-to-fit" in the new mantra!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/25/2022 8:56 AM  #10

There are solvents that will make that foam just disappear. 

5/25/2022 10:51 AM  #11

DC wrote:

I don't think I've ever tried to dissolve urethane foam, but gas, acetone, etc. turn regular styrofoam into nothing in nothing flat.  Goof Off takes the residue of urethane off, and I think that's mostly Kerosene or mineral spirits based on smell.  Probably not a bad idea.  Liquify it and flush it out, then spray the cavities with paraffin, etc. to prevent rust. 

5/25/2022 10:59 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

DC wrote:

I don't think I've ever tried to dissolve urethane foam, but gas, acetone, etc. turn regular styrofoam into nothing in nothing flat.  Goof Off takes the residue of urethane off, and I think that's mostly Kerosene or mineral spirits based on smell.  Probably not a bad idea.  Liquify it and flush it out, then spray the cavities with paraffin, etc. to prevent rust. 

Thats a good Idea. Hmm maybe its a good time to invest in a good pressurized solvent sprayer. A separate wax and grease remover sprayer. some frame corrosion protectant. And a Inspection camera. Anyone here own a Inspection camera? I would like to inspect the inside of the rockers see whats going on inside then decide if I need to remove the inner rockers to remove and treat any inside frame corrosion.

5/26/2022 7:23 AM  #13

I bought a Milwaukee one like 5-6 years ago.  Works well and uses a battery system I already had. 

5/26/2022 10:06 AM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

DC wrote:

Gas + styrofoam = napalm =  big boom!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.