FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2022 1:43 PM  #1

Ford 260 engine balancer and water pump!

Hi everybody,

Pulled out my last Ford V8 engine to see what i need to rebuild it. It is a 1963 260 V8 out of a 63 Fairlane. 

I looked up a water pump and a harmonic balancer.

1. There is a balancer on there and i tought it is ripped off but after checking the shop manual, i noticed that these early engines do not come with the outter ring seperated by the rubber from the balancer.

question: Should i leave it like this or upgrade to the newer style?

2. The water pump is gone and has to be replaced. The factory one doesn't have a steel backing plate but many people on the net change them to the newer style WITH backing plate.

and again, should i leave it stock or upgrade it to the newer style?

Any and all help is appreciated,

Mustsed

5/20/2022 2:31 PM  #2

Re: Ford 260 engine balancer and water pump!

Don't know about the balancer but I would swap to the water pump WITH the backing plate.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/20/2022 4:40 PM  #3

I've seen those 260 water pumps.  The impeller shows.  I wonder if there could possibly be a parts fitment problem going to the later one.  I'm sure the bolts will line up.  I wonder if sealing could be a problem.  Otherwise,  I'd go with the newer model.  They can be more readily replaced.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/20/2022 5:02 PM  #4

The timing cover that mates with the early "no backing plate" water pump will not work with the later "backing plate" water pump. The early water pump and timing cover ended in August of 1964 at the same time generators ended. The timing cover and water pump with backing plate began at the same time as alternators. That changeover also included the end of the 5 bolt bellhousing and the arrival of the 6 bolt bellhousing.

5/22/2022 8:34 AM  #5

I'm using the early style water pump (exposed impeller), although it is the FlowKooler high flow model, w/o any heating, or any other, issues.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/22/2022 1:52 PM  #6

Timing cover must be changed if you use a water pump with rear plate.

Could you post a pic of your balancer?  I am not familiar with the 260 version and would like to learn more.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2022 8:27 AM  #7

OK, I made a mistake with the engine ID. Looked up the numbers and the engine is a 221 V8 with '63 289 heads on. Not what i expected but thats what i have!!!

Anybody knows of a way to make this a driver.  Can't change it or buy another engine and have to work on That!

ordered a stock WP and a harmonic balancer with the outer ring but if it doesn't harm i am willing to use the stock balancer. Any ideas on that?

Here are the pics MS.

[img] [/img]

5/23/2022 8:29 AM  #8

The dot on the side is TDC and it is 123mm in dia.

Mustsed

5/23/2022 8:54 AM  #9

Does the 221 share the same 28oz imbalance?   If so just swap the entire front setup from a later 289 or 302.

5/23/2022 9:13 AM  #10

Wow never seen one like that. I have the early style water pump w/flowkooler and I have a newer style damper, also have the 6 bolt block, but its all on my 289 thats the way it came.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/23/2022 9:42 AM  #11

Thanks for posting the history lesson!  I have never seen one of those, or a 221, for that matter.
I would consider going with later rubber damped balancer if it is same imbalance. And the correct later timing pointer, if applicable.

Has that 221 actually been assembled and run with the 289 heads?   Seems like the smaller bore size would have valve interference.  I will have to dig out my old “HOW TO REBUILD YOU SMALL BLOCK FORD” book to see what fits what.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2022 2:10 PM  #12

This engine came with a '63 Fairlane 2 door sedan car that was in parts. The owner put a 5.0 EFI in it and sold the engine to my neighbor to be used in his '64 Fairlane 4 door.

We decided to build this engine in a long time schedule while he was driving his '64 with my 200 cui inline 6 with a C4 auto tranny. But giving the reality that Turkey is coming to its economical end and the $$$$ skyrocketed in the last few years, we made a deal that he gets my 6 + C4 and i get the 221 with the Ford-O-Matic 2 speed.

So that means that i am stuck with this engine. BTW a Summit Racing 302 trades for araound $10000 where a monthly normal salary is around $270 !!!! 

I have never seen this engine running and don't think that these heads are the stock ones (the engine is orange but the heads are black). Beside that, i am missing everything on the heads. no valves, no springs, no keepers, no rockers nothing just the bare 289 heads.

Other then that the engine is fairly complete and seems to be rebuild shortly before the car was disassembled. 

I started collecting parts and this will take a while. Will do a stock rebuild and hope to get my hands on a car that this can go in. I gave my elder son a '87 Mustang convertible with a 5.0 HO and T5 in it which he still enjoys driving. Now i have to take care of my younger son and build him a car too so he leaves MY '63 Fairlane alone and i can drive it more!

Sorry, got a little long.

Mustsed

5/23/2022 3:44 PM  #13

You can have fun driving 221 engine.
when my brother-in-law went to Vietnam my older brother and I got his 62 4door Fairlane with 3 on the tree.and 221 V8 engine
Learned to drive a manual and did my first burn outs in that car. I would run the engine thru gears, when it lost power I would shift. After I graduated from High school I bought a 64 Fairlane 500 Scope coupe that had no Engine/Trans and put that 221 in it with a 4 speed and a 59 Rancho 9" rear end. It was fun to drive put not land speed recorded speeds.
221 has 140HP and will provide you fun driving it unless you need to be the top dog on the street. Most 289 add ons with fit on engine.
Enjoy the start of the SBF

5/23/2022 3:46 PM  #14

Sorry for misspell!
64 Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.