FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2022 1:16 PM  #1

can't use the clutch this way ... looking for help

hello friends , after broke the clutch disc , replaced everything , centered and checked the flywheel for hot spot , but nothing . (resurfaced 2 years ago )  . The problem is that i can't have a slippery moment while start moving . i have terrible shaking and quite impossible to use , like parking . Every start is a pain , the only way is to release fast the pedal . no other vibration related . How can solve this  ?  thanks ! 
manual , z bar , 10" clutch .
alessandro 

5/01/2022 4:16 PM  #2

Re: can't use the clutch this way ... looking for help

Bad motor or transmission mounts.  Driveline issue some where.  But if you broke a clutch disk and did not resurface the flywheel and or replace the pressure plate then I would look there.  

5/01/2022 4:35 PM  #3

Bad throw-out bearing?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/01/2022 5:02 PM  #4

Leaking rear main bearing can allow oil to get on clutch & pressure plate and make smooth release of clutch impossible.
I hate it when the car does "the huckle-buck" when the clutch is released.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/01/2022 6:13 PM  #5

I will be replacing my new McLeod clutch for same reason, but it is not as bad as your, yet. Even the McLeod instructions stated the clutch may chatter when new!!!  Never will use that brand again.

Causes in addition to the ones previously mentioned:
Clutch pedal bushings
Z-bar bushings
Z-bar bent/out of alignment
Loose pilot bushing/bearing
Oil of friction surface
Flywheel not machined flat
AND THE BIGGIE FOR MUSTANGS - pedal adjusted too tight causing the bellhousing fingers to be overextended and bent the first time the pedal was depressed. There is a limit to the amount of travel that a diaphragm type pressure plate can take.  Once this happens, go buy a new one.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/02/2022 12:13 AM  #6

ok , i understood that there 's some points that i should done , and ain't do . As MS stated i have adjusted too tight the lever and probably i 'm the problem maker .  Also engine mounts are a pain , too gummy , too soft . About all other spare : re-surfaced /machined from professional . New pilote bearing, new  throw -out 
no leaks from fly bolts , no leaks from rear pan . The clutch i'm talking have 4 years and was complete swap .   The only thing i can add is : the shake is more and more when heat goes high  .   Now i can adjust something to relieve the excess on pressure plate and see if changes . if nothing happen i will buy a new clutch complete  .  There are some brand really expensive , and shipping/tax are high . i need to stay with mid price stuff , any brand to suggest ?  Now i know that : brute force ,  valeo , sachs , ram  , are all the same product , looking for something different . advice welcome . 
thanks as always 

5/02/2022 4:57 AM  #7

Ford Racing Cobra clutch kit is what I use, and a lot of other guys on here too.  You need a cable clutch to use it though.  Most of us also run the Mustang Steve cable clutch conversion. 

5/02/2022 5:09 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ford Racing Cobra clutch kit is what I use, and a lot of other guys on here too.  You need a cable clutch to use it though.  Most of us also run the Mustang Steve cable clutch conversion. 

for what i see , i need also a 10.5 or 11 inch flywheel because mine is 10 . too much expensive at this time .

5/02/2022 8:02 AM  #9

Alessandro wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

for what i see , i need also a 10.5 or 11 inch flywheel because mine is 10 . too much expensive at this time .

Yes, and it needs to be the 28 oz imbalance not the 50oz. like the later 5.0 engines.

5/02/2022 10:17 AM  #10

There is nothing wrong with using a 10.0” clutch. They make them in diaphragm type and should be readily available as stock replacement. LUK works fine unless you are making alot of HP.
Pedal effort will be less and engagement will be smoother.  Have the flywheel reground, install a new pilot bearing (one from 1990 5.0 Mustang works well) and a new throwout bearing. National brand works well. Ford even better.
The clutch I put in my 69 came with a plastic throwout bearing that was cracked right out of the box.  Summit paid for a new National bearing to replace it.

5/02/2022 11:52 AM  #11

MS wrote:

There is nothing wrong with using a 10.0” clutch. They make them in diaphragm type and should be readily available as stock replacement. LUK works fine unless you are making alot of HP.
Pedal effort will be less and engagement will be smoother. Have the flywheel reground, install a new pilot bearing (one from 1990 5.0 Mustang works well) and a new throwout bearing. National brand works well. Ford even better.
The clutch I put in my 69 came with a plastic throwout bearing that was cracked right out of the box. Summit paid for a new National bearing to replace it.

A plastic TO bearing?!  WOW!

5/02/2022 1:10 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

Pedal effort will be less and engagement will be smoother. Have the flywheel reground, install a new pilot bearing (one from 1990 5.0 Mustang works well) and a new throwout bearing. National brand works well. Ford even better.
The clutch I put in my 69 came with a plastic throwout bearing that was cracked right out of the box. Summit paid for a new National bearing to replace it.

A plastic TO bearing?!  WOW!

And MS........"Threw-it-out"!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/02/2022 2:02 PM  #13

I currently have a centerforce 10" in mine. It works pretty good.  Check your pressure plate bolts also.  I had bought a new set of bolts and they were slightly to long.  I torqued to specs and thought it was good.  Well it wasn't.  It did the same thing yours is doing.   Replaced the bolts problem gone.  

5/02/2022 2:11 PM  #14

I installed a Centerforce "Dual Friction", 10.4", #DF 920380 in 2016 and also had my flywheel resurfaced.  To date, happy with it.
I also installed a MS roller bearing kit on the clutch pedal bracket in 2019. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/22/2022 11:29 AM  #15

hello friends , seems strange but have found the problem with my clutch issue . The dowel pins were never installed , also when i dismantle the engine the first time and going on without with new clutches . clutch kit do not provide these pins , and i can't imagine was so important . Someone has code for these pins ? i have 28oz /157 flywheel from 289  1966 engine , manual  transm, , 10 " clutch . 
Thanks all ! 

5/22/2022 1:48 PM  #16

Original clutches did not use dowel pins. Those came about on foxbody Mustangs. I would look for something else, like overextended pressure plate springs or oil on the surface.

5/23/2022 3:58 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Original clutches did not use dowel pins. Those came about on foxbody Mustangs. I would look for something else, like overextended pressure plate springs or oil on the surface.

Thanks ms for clear this , and yes , you were right , i had overextended pressure plate spring with incorrect zbar adjust . Now i put a new complete clutch kit renforced pressure plate . Now i'm trying it and wait for settlement . Seems have only little chatter , but have vibration that wasn't before .   please ms , tell me if throwout bearing are all the same ?? They comes differently each brand i buy .    centerforce was tall , the new one m-pact  is short .  My question is if they are made to follow the spring mark/ seats , where bearing really touches springs ?  or i can mix pressure plate and throwout bearing ? thanks ms ! 

5/23/2022 5:49 AM  #18

MS, what do you recommend for this statement:
"AND THE BIGGIE FOR MUSTANGS - pedal adjusted too tight causing the bellhousing fingers to be overextended and bent the first time the pedal was depressed. There is a limit to the amount of travel that a diaphragm type pressure plate can take"    Would an 1/8" clearance (TO bearing to fingers) be too tight?   Or does it depend on 
whose pressure plate you're using?

Last edited by gjz30075 (5/23/2022 5:49 AM)

5/23/2022 7:11 AM  #19

gjz30075 wrote:

MS, what do you recommend for this statement:
"AND THE BIGGIE FOR MUSTANGS - pedal adjusted too tight causing the bellhousing fingers to be overextended and bent the first time the pedal was depressed. There is a limit to the amount of travel that a diaphragm type pressure plate can take"    Would an 1/8" clearance (TO bearing to fingers) be too tight?   Or does it depend on 
whose pressure plate you're using?

thanks , yes now it's very clear and i admit did mistake whe installed new disc . The new clutch kit is m-pact brand . 

5/23/2022 9:48 AM  #20

T/o bearings are different for foxbody cable clutch cars than they are for older 65-73 Mustangs. The way the attach to the release arm is different and they are different thickness.  I am sure various manufacturers make them differently. One I recently bought with a new clutch had a plastic body that was cracked when I opened the box.

Did you replace the pilot shaft bushing (or bearing) when you installed the new clutch?

Worn z-bar bushings can cause clutch chatter as well. One good reason to use cable when it fits the situation.

5/23/2022 11:22 AM  #21

MS wrote:

T/o bearings are different for foxbody cable clutch cars than they are for older 65-73 Mustangs. The way the attach to the release arm is different and they are different thickness. I am sure various manufacturers make them differently. One I recently bought with a new clutch had a plastic body that was cracked when I opened the box.

Did you replace the pilot shaft bushing (or bearing) when you installed the new clutch?

Worn z-bar bushings can cause clutch chatter as well. One good reason to use cable when it fits the situation.

Thanks ,  pilote bearing was new , really few month . But if necessary i got spare .   Will check again for flywheel / pressur plate centered with pin to avoid any doubt of vibration coming from there . 
About T/o bearing thickness /tall  , can be used also if are different one from another ?  . i bought from rockauto for 66 mustang . 

5/24/2022 7:26 AM  #22

Bearings do not interchange from early style release arm to foxbody release arm.  If using z-bar and the original linkage, the 66 bearing should fit.

Be sure the tranny input shaft tube/bearing retainer is smooth with no grooves and the bearing has lube inside it. It needs to slide smoothly along the retainer tube without binding.

Last edited by MS (5/24/2022 7:28 AM)

5/24/2022 4:15 PM  #23

Maybe I missed it but are you using a ‘Long’ or a ‘Diaphragm’ type clutch/PP setup?

With what you stated you’ve done and still having shaking issues; I’d check the flywheel.  Even though you had it resurfaced 2 years ago doesn’t necessarily mean it didn’t warp, from the shaking, in that 2-year time frame.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.