FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2022 4:02 PM  #1

2001 Mustang GT

We bought our 2001 Vert new in Oct of 2000.  It has around 83000 miles on it and has been a really good car.  Well recently I noticed a rather large pool of fluid under it in the garage.  In April I changed all the belts, hoses, thermostat and flushed the radiator.  Knowing I had just performed these maintenance items I figured a hose clamp wasnt tight or maybe I pinched the gasket on the thermostat housing.  Well after looking I found a crack on the side of the plastic intake manifold right along the thermostat housing.  My thought are WHY would anyone design a plastic intake???  I guess it goes along with the plastic radiators, plastic oil pans and numerous other plastic parts they build these cars from!!!  I did find out this was a known issue that Ford WAS replacing the intakes!! WAS!!!   I ordered a new one and will tear it down soon!!  As you can see in the photo below the new intake has Aluminum water way [img]https://turn5.scene7.com/is/image/Turn5/100978?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.8,1,10,0[/img]

5/23/2022 5:02 PM  #2

Re: 2001 Mustang GT

My first thought when reading this was can you get the updated intake.  After I scrolled down it appears you can.  I've heard of plastic intakes failing on other models as well.

5/23/2022 6:50 PM  #3

Same thing happened on my daughter’s 1996 GT many years ago.  Got the replacement with full aluminum water passages on ebay for about 1/4 the cost of one locally or from Ford.    No big deal to replace it since everything has o-ring type seals instead of gaskets.
Looks like alot more work than it was.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/24/2022 8:30 AM  #4

Ford somehow got out of the recall as Dorman was offering a cheap replacement. Our 98 did the same thing after 10 years. 
Kind of the same topic, as GM had issues with steel brake lines on the Silverado that rusted badly after a few years. They got out of recalling because Dorman offered a complete replacement package of all SS lines for about 60 bucks.

5/24/2022 5:50 PM  #5

With plastic intakes................means a good reason.... 'to work on those ports a little'!!
Smooth those sharp internal corners Terry ........do the old hot-rod-thang!!!
Other than...being cheaper to make(and still charge the consumer the FULL load) plastic prolly isn't a big heat 'stink' like 'lumium.! My guess............
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/25/2022 8:45 AM  #6

The lighter it is, the less gas it uses

5/25/2022 10:47 AM  #7

Pretty sure they are molded in two parts then probably sonic welded together.  Internally they are usually pretty smooth, plus they only flow air as the injectors are basically in the ports of the heads.  They're convoluted and ,long to try and get low end torque out of a tiny engine.

5/29/2022 6:17 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

They're convoluted and ,long to try and get low end torque out of a tiny engine.

If you call a 4.6 a tiny engine what do you call those 2.3 eco-boosts that are cranking out 310 hp?/  itty bitty?? lol

5/30/2022 8:02 AM  #9

terry wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

They're convoluted and ,long to try and get low end torque out of a tiny engine.

If you call a 4.6 a tiny engine what do you call those 2.3 eco-boosts that are cranking out 310 hp?/  itty bitty?? lol

No, not for a 4 cylinder.  I consider anything 2.0 and above decent sized for a 4 cylinder, but basically all those engines, at least any I'd consider a performance engine, use forced induction.  The issue the 4.6 has is that by V8 standards its tiny, I man, objectively its only 271 cubic inches.  Smaller than a 289.  Then to make matters worse its a cam engine (SOHC), which always need more RPM than a pushord engine to start making torque.  So Ford did all it could to try and bolster low speed torque, like using long intake runners.  What Ford really should have done was just build a bigger engine and stay with pushrods.  The LS and Hemi series engines sure don't seem to have low end torque issues. 

5/30/2022 5:03 PM  #10

Not a big deal butt (TS&T), my slide rule shows 4600 cc = 280.7 CI.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/30/2022 8:32 PM  #11

I just gotta see that slide rule next time I'm there.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/31/2022 4:09 AM  #12

Bullet Bob wrote:

Not a big deal butt (TS&T), my slide rule shows 4600 cc = 280.7 CI.

Yep, I see my typo.  It should be 281, not 271.  I had 289 in my brain for the comparison, so 271 must have been too hard to think past (HP rating on the HiPo). 

5/31/2022 4:28 AM  #13

In early 2000’s, Toyota’s 4.7L dohc made over 300 lb-ft and only 240 hp.  It was used in their trucks.

5/31/2022 7:06 AM  #14

Well TKO, since you were thinking of a Mustang engine I guess you're forgiven.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/01/2022 4:58 AM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

In early 2000’s, Toyota’s 4.7L dohc made over 300 lb-ft and only 240 hp. It was used in their trucks.

Yes, 300lbs/ft., but at 3,400RPM.  By contrast the 5.7 Chevy Vortec engine which was its contemporary made 330lbs/ft at only 2,800 RPM.  Which is a pretty clear illustration of what I'm talking about.  Its not to say that smaller engine can't make torque, or that cam engine's can't make torque; its just that they do it at a higher RPM which tends to make them feel soggy on the street, especially in a heavier vehicle.  One way to partially compensate for this is to use steeper gearing to get the engine in its powerband quicker off the line, but manufacturers often don't want to do that because then fuel economy takes a nosedive and they have issues meeting CAFE standards. 

6/01/2022 8:50 AM  #16

Hence my Hemi in my truck and my Durango. It cruises 80 MPH at 1850 RPM

Durango has 8 speed tranny
Ram 1500 has 6 speed.

It amazes me the engine has enough torque to power these heavy, not very aerodynamic vehicles at 80 mph under 2,000 rpm

6/01/2022 9:30 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Hence my Hemi in my truck and my Durango. It cruises 80 MPH at 1850 RPM

Durango has 8 speed tranny
Ram 1500 has 6 speed.

It amazes me the engine has enough torque to power these heavy, not very aerodynamic vehicles at 80 mph under 2,000 rpm

They're a lot more aerodynamic than you may think.  Starting in the late '90s as CAFE standards became more stringent the OEMs really got into aero work.  A little rounding here and there that's super subtle makes a big difference in how that truck cuts through the air. 

The other major improvement was in electronic powertrain control.  Everything now is so seamless you don't ever know the engine is running on 6 or 4 cylinders out of 8.

Power also bumped considerably.  American V8s kept getting bigger.  Most of those Hemis now are 6.4s.

6/01/2022 2:16 PM  #18

There used to be one of these in my neighbors backyard.  Got sold to a junkyard.  I still know where the car is at!   Anyway look at the runners on that early version of a tiny hemi!  That is the smallest cubic inch hemi made!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.