FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2022 7:23 PM  #1

Clutch cable bit the dust

So after 12 years and more than 65,000 miles the clutch cable bit the dust in the middle of the afternoon traffic on I-294 just pass O Hare air port this Friday. Down shifted to 3rd and snap, the road Gods were with me though, made it through the construction zone, hit the first exit about 5 mile and made off high way to a side street. Well Hagerty road assistance finely paid off. They picked up car and flat bedded it 102 miles back to my house. So I don't remember if the cable that Mustang Steve Kit used is a Ford cable Let me know and what year it would have been. I do remember there were two different length. I must say this is the first time the 0ld 66 Pony ever gave me any problems

6/24/2022 8:20 PM  #2

Re: Clutch cable bit the dust

Where did it fail?
Just wondering.

My replacement cable is longer than original by at least a foot.
I ordered the cable sold by Mustang Steve.
With the new cable, I was able to route cable to front side of oil filter.

MS had warned me about my routing on first cable.
Live and learn.
It’s been about 3 years now with no problems.

Last edited by Nos681 (6/24/2022 8:22 PM)

6/25/2022 5:29 AM  #3

It broke right at top petal mount under the dash,

6/25/2022 2:13 PM  #4

Did the cable break, or did the swedged end slip off?  Be sure the cable is not dragging on thevedge ofbthe firewall hole.  They normally last a long time unless dragging on the edge of the firewall hole. 
Michael has cables at MustangSteve.com. Or, an adjustable Ford Racing cable for 1994-2004 v8 Mustang will fit.

Last edited by MS (6/25/2022 2:31 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/25/2022 6:04 PM  #5

I have a brand new clutch cable that I won’t use since I sold that car. $40 and I’ll cover shipping to get it to you.
It’s already been altered for the correct installation..!
Thatoldstuff@yahoo.com

Whit & Jenny Boyd

6/25/2022 7:05 PM  #6

MS wrote:

Did the cable break, or did the swedged end slip off? Be sure the cable is not dragging on thevedge ofbthe firewall hole. They normally last a long time unless dragging on the edge of the firewall hole.
Michael has cables at MustangSteve.com. Or, an adjustable Ford Racing cable for 1994-2004 v8 Mustang will fit.

Broke at top, hopefully I'll be back home in a few days to scope it out, car made it home safely I 'm still out of town. 

6/27/2022 7:01 AM  #7

Well made it home yesterday afternoon, as we were pulling into drive so was the Amazon truck with new Ford cable. Couldn't have time that any better. Got the car on to the lift, my 10 year old grandaughter got to drive the mustang from one garage to another, even though she really wants a Tesla because you don't' have to shift or a new Corvette, I don't know kids now days but any way. Yep the cable broke where it goes in the cinched end. the strands must have slowly been breaking one by one over time, you can see where the single stands were rubbing on the bottom of the cowl like you had used a wire brush on it,. I did here strange sound last year when clutch was pressed down a couple of times, I disconnected clutch cable at the time but every thing seemed fine, moved back and forth with no resistance so hooked it back up worked fine, never really crawled under dash to look ,might have seen frayed strand of the cable. O well, it seem like this new cable is a little longer which I think will make the roughting a little easier than the original one. I think that was an update in the MS kit which wasn't available at the time I order it, I do remember the longer one was in development later, Well hopefully it will  go back together a little bit easier, Still I guess I've  been pretty lucky so far that this is first time the old 66 left me stranded in 12 years and all the road trips 65,000 miles worth.

6/27/2022 7:10 AM  #8

Sounds like an easy fix, Jim.  Are we going to see you in Vandalia this year?  Missed ya last year.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/27/2022 7:50 AM  #9

So far plan on it got room reserved, just might be like a Sunday Drive only maybe four and a half hours.

6/27/2022 8:07 AM  #10

Make sure the cable cannot touch the cowl floor. Usually you need to put a dent in the floor above the quadrant as explained in the instruction sheet. If the cable does not rub on anything, it will last a lot longer.

I am glad you are getting to enjoy your car on road trips. I always have a spare cable in the trunk just for an emergency. See you in Vandalia.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/27/2022 8:48 AM  #11

Yea I remember putting that special dent in cowl, every thing is clear, just one one those things we seem to all wearout kinda like me, I guess I will have to carry one, I might have 12 more years to go or 60 thousand miles. See you in IL.

6/27/2022 9:05 AM  #12

These days we're using the Ford Performance Parts clutch cables. I'd get yourself one of those.  We've had great success with them.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

6/30/2022 5:53 AM  #13

Well the pony's up and running again, really did like that longer cable this time, one big gentle curve over the front on the shock tower support seems much better than the original one that had to be snaked behind shock tower. Only took three evenings to get it done, after spend one trying to hook up cable to clutch petal bracket from under dash, when that bright light came on and said pull the instrument cluster, O yea what a great idea. glad I added that extra length of wire so I could just swing cluster away with out unhooking anything but speedo cable Well its running and ready to go up to Iola's Car show next week,I guess for having a break down every thing worked out pretty good, and I saved 1/2 of tank of gas with it being towed 102 miles. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.