FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2013 8:18 PM  #1

Duel Fuel Pump & Holding Tank for EFI - updated

Working on a setup I can remove from the car and work on when needed rather than have to disassemble a bunch of components.  At the heart is a 32" piece of 2" angle iron that can be mounted to the forward fuel tank bolts.

The brace has two extensions welded on to support the mounting of the holding tank and the fuel pump bracket.  the brace also has two holes in the ends to attach the brace to the trunk floor flange around the tank.

The brace has the holding tank mounted to the left (pass side if looking from the front) and the two fuel pumps mounted to the right.  The low pressure pump (bottom) continuously feeds the holding tank, with overflow going up the center tube and returning to the gas tank.   The output of the holding tank feeds the high pressure pump (upper) which then connects to a hard line feeding the injectors.

This is a shorter holding tank that has been seen in my previous installation. A 1/2 quart fuel filter is used rather than a 1 quart.  This reduces the amount of hanging down, and is about equal to the bottom of the car's fuel tank.

Not the best photos but you can get a good sense of where this all fits between the tank and the differential.  Plenty of clearance to the pumpkin, and the holding tank hangs down about 1/2" bwlow the tank.  It is well above the bottom of the rear end.

Last edited by JamesW (9/22/2013 7:44 PM)

9/30/2013 8:31 PM  #2

Re: Duel Fuel Pump & Holding Tank for EFI - updated

James, are you going to market any of that, or just a parts list??
Very inovative, I like it.
A small suggestion though, use "Green Stripe" ethanol resistant fuel line.
An wherza Duct Tape go??

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/01/2013 8:15 PM  #3

Tubo wrote:

James, are you going to market any of that, or just a parts list??
Very inovative, I like it.
A small suggestion though, use "Green Stripe" ethanol resistant fuel line.
An wherza Duct Tape go??

Tubo

Nope - free data
The low pressure pump is a Carter P60430 in line unit (Amazon)
The high pressure is an E2000 Airtex unit (RockAuto)
The tank is PN 11-50112 accumulator tank (short) from BCBroncos.com
The bracket holding the high pressure pump was scavanged from a broken come-along center section.

Good point about the fuel line.  I used FI line at the top but not at the bottom.

10/18/2013 3:20 PM  #4

That looks great! are you running a production style EFI system?

10/18/2013 8:27 PM  #5

midnite wrote:

That looks great! are you running a production style EFI system?

Depends on what production line you're talking about.

10/21/2013 10:12 AM  #6

5.0 EFI is the type of production style I was thinking of! I want to do efi on my '64 fairlane eventually and this method would def make it easier. thanks!

10/24/2013 12:17 PM  #7

James,
Any thought on not bothering with the overflow line back to the tank, and just letting the low pressure pump fill the filter and pump into the inlet of the high pressure pump?  Since the LP pump is designed to pump to a carb. and the carb cuts off flow occasionally, I cannot see the downside of doing that, unless the HP pump cannot stand having 7psi or so going into it.

I am planning on hooking up a high volume low pressure pump inline between the tank and my HP pump to see how it works.  Kind of eliminates the need for the extra reservoir unless you are concerned about fuel slosh uncovering the pickup tube.  My HP pump currently starts that high pitch screaming when I have anything other than a full tank of gas.  I am thinking all it needs is something to keep a little pressure in its inlet.

Thoughts?  Anyone tried this?

Last edited by MustangSteve (10/24/2013 12:18 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/25/2013 5:07 AM  #8

I must have missed something, but what happened to the in-tank pump I thought you used? Was it not a success?

I understand why the Bronco site would sell these kits because of the extreme angles offroad, but are people experiencing starvation to the pump on a street car with an inline pump? I guess they must since I see so many adding these surge tanks. Lucky me, have never had a problem with the single inline pump :fingerscrossed:

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/25/2013 7:28 AM  #9

Jeff, can you elaborate on the inline setup you are using?  Does your pump make any noise?  Where mounted, etc.

10/25/2013 3:49 PM  #10

I'm using the Ron Morris Performance EFI fuel system kit. It is not the cheapest solution, but it is very clean, simple, and uses factory EFI fittings which snap together easy and don't leak. You can also get other custom adaptor fittings to connect to a custom setup.

The only noise my pump makes is when you first turn the key to on, the stock Ford EFI powers up the pump for about a second or two. Once the engine is running, you cannot hear it at all. It is very similar to the Fox body fuel system with the snap in filter and nylon lines. I know some may poo poo the nylon lines but they have been in millions of cars without any problems that I know of.

If you are using a return fuel system they have a modified sender with a return connection silver soldered in, available in 65-68, 69, or 70. The pump mounts between the tank and the rear diff on a supplied bracket. When I got my kit in 2007, it came with a Walbro pump, which I upsized to 190 lph. I see on their website that they have 255 lph available.

In summary, am very pleased, it works well, and is quiet. If you don't want the whole system, they sell parts individually as well. I'll be under the car tomorrow. I'll snap a pic.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=RMP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9193

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/25/2013 5:08 PM  #11

Steve, hadn't thought about skipping the return line and keeping the LP pump putting pressure on the HP pump inlet.  Like a lemming, I just followed the typical setup.

I abandoned the intank pump primarly because I could not get a check valve setup that would work.  Tried several, but always had a problem with drainback and subsequent air in the line.

10/26/2013 8:47 PM  #12

Snapped a pic while I was installing the rear belts today. I forgot that I had modified the fuel pump mounting bracket by welding a stip perpendicular to the bracket to give it a bit more rigidty.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/29/2013 8:51 PM  #13

I think the return like, beside being built that way from Ford, allows fuel flow to pass through the HP pump acting as coolant, on the pump. I'll not eliminate it, when I EFI the 73.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/30/2013 1:39 PM  #14

Here is how mine turned out, using only the HP pump, a prefilter, a post-filter, and a 3/8" return line.  Note the double sided brackets.  Those are to keep the attaching nuts for the pump and filters from digging into the tank should I get rearended.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.