FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2022 9:47 PM  #1

I dont really guess I need a tru trac I been running a open forever

so would it be ok just to swap in some 3.55.1 gears or should I find a whole third member . complete  8 inch carriers dont exsit at summit or speedway anymore.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (7/13/2022 9:48 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

7/13/2022 10:01 PM  #2

Re: I dont really guess I need a tru trac I been running a open forever

7/14/2022 4:35 AM  #3

Take a look at Quick Performance.

They are on E-bay as well.

For my application, the aftermarket Trac-loc has been more than sufficient.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/14/2022 4:38 AM)

7/14/2022 5:38 AM  #4

I have too much traction!

Said no one ever. 

My $0.02.

7/14/2022 7:37 AM  #5

Nos681 wrote:

Take a look at Quick Performance.

They are on E-bay as well.

For my application, the aftermarket Trac-loc has been more than sufficient.

What is a 'trac-lok'?  Is that different from a Posi or tru track?

7/14/2022 8:32 AM  #6

Buy the parts and put that 3rd member in a bowling bag.  Hop on a plane to my place and we’ll set it up.

7/14/2022 10:07 AM  #7

Traction lok is Ford's name for a limited slip differential. Posi is the general's name for it.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/14/2022 10:22 AM  #8

It’s been a while since I saw the ad which was on Facebook market place so it may be gone.  It was for an 8 inch trac loc and I believe it was a 3.50 gear.   I’ll see if I can find the ad again.

7/14/2022 12:10 PM  #9

Billy - I'm not sure of the junk yards in your area, but there are any that have 60's cars, the 8" rears were also used in Fairlanes. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/14/2022 12:21 PM  #10

I only had one problem with the traction lock in my life. Other than that I would have them in everything.  I switched to lockers for street use and road racing. The problem I had was one morning I got to work and the parking lot was a pure sheet of ice. That's Michigan for you! I could not get turned into a parking spot without some heroics ( lot of right pedal ). Since then, my lockers work pefectly! Easy turns into parking and traction when you need it!

7/14/2022 6:21 PM  #11

Bearing Bob wrote:

Traction lok is Ford's name for a limited slip differential. Posi is the general's name for it.

Technically Positraction is a bowtie term.  Each manufacturer, even within GM, had their own term for a limited slip.  Pontiac used the term "Safe-T-Track", Buick used "Positive Traction", etc.

7/14/2022 9:59 PM  #12

Bentworker wrote:

Buy the parts and put that 3rd member in a bowling bag. Hop on a plane to my place and we’ll set it up.

I wish you lived closer.

7/15/2022 12:43 PM  #13

I'm in the same 'camp' as you BILLY!
Old peg-leg 8" has served me well.........why change what works well?!
I mean sure............when you wanna leave an impressive burn-out-streak two look better than one. How many times you plan to do a smokey?? 1/2 dozen?.....10?
Peg-leg single /open rear doesn't "do-funny" when making turns....doesn't make rachet-rachet sounds when turning...doesn't require special dope in the rear end....IF what you got is quiet...why chance swapping in a singing/whining rear gear...save the $$ for sump'in else that 'might NEED' replacing.
(With the fairly low 1st gear in you T-5....I would opt for 3.25:1....jus say'in!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/15/2022 5:38 PM  #14

Ol Sal makes a lot O' sense.  As for the 3.25...well, the Falcon project I was involved in had a 3.25 from the factory (Mtn. states DSO) and with the standard T5 it is dang near perfect.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/15/2022 8:37 PM  #15

I’ve been running and open 8” with 3:55 gears for over ten years. Motor is a modified 289/T5. It’s mostly a cruise with the occasional spirited driving. Traction has never been a problem and the thing is an absolute blast to drive.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/15/2022 10:24 PM  #16

The trac-lok doesn’t make noise unless you forget to add or not enough friction modifier.

This is the only one I can share my own experience…besides the open 2.80 from factory.

7/16/2022 7:42 AM  #17

I've never had a limited slip that was in good condition make noise or clunk.  Lockers on the other hand do that.  A proper LSD is there when you need it, but disappears when you don't.  I've put over 280k miles on my F250 with a LSD of some kind in it and never found it the least bit objectionable, except when one would wear out and I'd go back to one wheel peel.  Factory LSD lasted about 40k miles, Yukon lasted about 240k miles, and now I've gone to a TrueTrac.

7/16/2022 9:57 AM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

I'm in the same 'camp' as you BILLY!
Old peg-leg 8" has served me well.........why change what works well?!
I mean sure............when you wanna leave an impressive burn-out-streak two look better than one. How many times you plan to do a smokey?? 1/2 dozen?.....10?
Peg-leg single /open rear doesn't "do-funny" when making turns....doesn't make rachet-rachet sounds when turning...doesn't require special dope in the rear end....IF what you got is quiet...why chance swapping in a singing/whining rear gear...save the $$ for sump'in else that 'might NEED' replacing.
(With the fairly low 1st gear in you T-5....I would opt for 3.25:1....jus say'in!)
6sally6

I no longer have that 4 cyl 5 speed it busted in wreck...I have v-8 trans now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.