FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2022 2:37 PM  #1

NEW 3 Core Rad, Dual 12" Fans with shroud ----- OVERHEATING?

Can someone please explain how my brand new DNA 3 Core Rad with TWO 12" fans is causing my car to overheat?  when the vehicle had the Mechanical Fan it was perfection.......I switched to Electric and its spiking to temperatures that are dangerous; nowhere near where the mechanical was at, that never went past half, now im exceeding 290deg!!!!!  i gotta be hitting 205-210!

I paid $485CAN for this crap!

302 Modified, but nothing radical.......I believe my thermostat installed is a 175 (around that).  electric fan switch is 185on-175off.....

Help!?

7/16/2022 3:14 PM  #2

Re: NEW 3 Core Rad, Dual 12" Fans with shroud ----- OVERHEATING?

Stupid question butt (TS&T), are you certain that the fans are moving air in the right direction?
BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/16/2022 3:14 PM  #3

I think you diagnosed the problem perfectly.
When it had a mechanical fan, it was perfection.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/16/2022 4:35 PM  #4

What prompted you to go from mechanical to electric?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/16/2022 5:35 PM  #5

Yes they are both Pulling.  Now I did an RPM test with a tool and reflective tape.  The fans spin at 22-2300 the way I have them and 1900ish if I flip the blades and do a pull system. I assumed the higher RPM way would move more air.

This rad claims to be a 3-core but is thinner than my old 3core. But it's also a bit wider than the old one. 

I decided to switch cause all modern vehicles did the same, plus, the air moving load while driving. 

These things can't even cool while I'm driving 50mph, it holds temp there, when I hit 60+ (more like 70 and up) it then cools it right down to a lower temp then I'm used to seeing.

7/16/2022 6:42 PM  #6

Where do you have the temp switch? Have you wired in an override? What shape is your electrical system in? Is there any type of shroud? How are the fans placed on the radiator? What brand are the fans?

Lot's of things it could be.

Last edited by Raymond_B (7/16/2022 6:43 PM)

7/16/2022 8:06 PM  #7

Electric fan set ups 🙄
I have seen so many people discussing issues like this on forums all over the internet.
I still have the original 4 blade mechanical fan on my car and never have an issue. When I fit a/c, I will consider a bigger radiator, but it will be a copper/brass one. There is no chance of me going to an electric fan set up. I think they are frought with drama and problems.
I've never had experience with mechanical clutch fans, but I hear that these are a good alternative to stock mechanical fans.
Maybe you can go back to the mechanical set up and fit a clutch fan?

Last edited by Toploader (7/16/2022 8:39 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

7/16/2022 8:55 PM  #8

Nuther question.  Okay, a couple of questions.
Does it heat up just setting and idling or only at speed?  If only at speed did you put a spring in the lower hose.  Don't ask why I know to ask this question.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/17/2022 4:52 AM  #9

I would suggest taking a closer look at the fan blade shape to pull air.
The 1900 rpm tells me that there is a load on the electric motors.
Therefore, I believe that is the correct way to mount the fan blades.

Have any pictures?

7/17/2022 6:18 AM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

I would suggest taking a closer look at the fan blade shape to pull air.
The 1900 rpm tells me that there is a load on the electric motors.
Therefore, I believe that is the correct way to mount the fan blades.

Have any pictures?

Im trying to upload photos but I dont think its working:

Fans are on a relay.....Temp Switch is located on the Thermostat Housing.....when I removed the Older Rad I found a broken like spring in the bottom, it was in there in all different directions and had sharp edges.  Its been a while now since I did that but I do believe some still remained ---- It spikes whenever you are not Moving and Climbs to Dangerous levels at idle or very slow speeds (acclerating and braking in city) but holds when driving around 40-50mph....

7/17/2022 6:28 AM  #11

FWIW I have to be in incognito mode on my computer to post pics for some reason

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

7/17/2022 6:33 AM  #12

Are you sure the t-stat is working?  What you are describing sounds a lot like a stuck t-stat. 

Also, to convert a pusher fan to a puller you typically flip the blade and wire it differently.  It sounds like the blade was flipped, but I'm wondering about the wiring. 

The problems encountered with electric fans are typically traced to one of two things: cheap, low quality fans, or poor electrical design on the control. 

7/17/2022 9:59 AM  #13

In addition to verifying that the T-Stat is working properly, I suggest re-installing the mechanical fan with the new radiator, or the old radiator with the electric fans.  If these are the only two changes you made, eliminating one at a time should reveal where the problem is located.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/17/2022 10:55 AM  #14

When installing my setup I used this guy's controller and followed his advice https://www.autocoolguy.com/services Like anything there's tons of debates about placement of the temp sensor. All I know is that my supercharged 427w with dual SPAL 11" fans that have the intercooler, AC condenser, and Power Stroke trans cooler in front of my radiator stays cool on 100+ days. Now this is a truck with huge frontal area, but still shows that a properly setup elec fan system is not the devil The devil is in the details. Like mentioned cheap fans, charging system not up to snuff, incorrect and/or mis calibrated sensor, fan direction not right, etc, etc all add to the woes.

Because it gets hot at low/no speeds it sounds like an airflow issue, either the fans are spinning too slow, wrong direction or the shroud, if any is not correct.  

Hopefully you can post pics so we can see.

7/17/2022 11:20 AM  #15

You're....SURE it's getting that hot (could be a faulty gauge)??
I have the old three(or 4 core?!) brass radiator with a single fan. It ONLY comes on when in bumper-to-bumper.
20+ MPH and the fan cycles off!    Now...I don't have AC but still....?!
How about your radiator cap?? What pound is it?
With the fans running....does it suck a sheet of paper to the front of the radiator? It should (big-time)
Distilled water and anti freeze?!!(water wetter?)
Ignition timing??! Try advancing it a few degrees and see what happens..
Electric cooling fans are a GOOD system when set up right. The beauty is they cut OFF (or should) when above 20-30 MPH.
Just an FYI..........when I went to the Shelby style front apron ALL my heating problems went away..Stock...the frontal area is really small as far as cooling is concerned
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/17/2022 1:29 PM  #16

Yeah my guess is they are cheap effin fans.  I ordered a Soak to see if that makes a difference and now fighting with the company. If I paid a friggin premium to have these total garbage fans, I'm gonna snap and make sure the world knows not to buy their products.  To boot their customer service is sub par! 

I can only assume the T-Stat is good and working as I replaced it last year.  As mentioned, the flowing isn't visible in the rad on a cold start, only later.  And it doesn't stop flowing nor the the temp gauges drop, only climb.

I have 2 gauges, the factory one and a 3-stack set that has that fitting that dips in the cooling system and is connected with thermo metal to the gauge

7/17/2022 2:33 PM  #17

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Yeah my guess is they are cheap effin fans. I ordered a Soak to see if that makes a difference and now fighting with the company. If I paid a friggin premium to have these total garbage fans, I'm gonna snap and make sure the world knows not to buy their products. To boot their customer service is sub par!

I can only assume the T-Stat is good and working as I replaced it last year. As mentioned, the flowing isn't visible in the rad on a cold start, only later. And it doesn't stop flowing nor the the temp gauges drop, only climb.

I have 2 gauges, the factory one and a 3-stack set that has that fitting that dips in the cooling system and is connected with thermo metal to the gauge

Sorry to hear about the poor customer service, what's the name of the place so we can all stay away?

As far as "cheap" fans go, that's probably the top or at least one of the top reasons people have issues with elec fans. I'd say 2nd is wiring as the fans can pull a LOT of amps especially on startup. I highly recommend SPAL.

7/17/2022 2:52 PM  #18

Rudi wrote:

What prompted you to go from mechanical to electric?

I can't find your answer to Rudi's question so I'll ask again:  Why did you change to the electric if the mechanical was working...to quote you..."perfectly"?

7/17/2022 3:56 PM  #19

M1Mustang69 wrote:

I decided to switch cause all modern vehicles did the same, plus, the air moving load while driving.

Fixing problems that don't exist. I've never done that.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (7/17/2022 3:58 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/17/2022 4:59 PM  #20

Many times I made changes just because I could, sometimes I shouldn’t have.
You read about things others have done and think, “that’s cool” I think I’ll do that even though it’s not needed.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/17/2022 7:27 PM  #21

Bearing Bob wrote:

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Fixing problems that don't exist. I've never done that.

Me neither, BB2.  Oh well... there was the cam change that made a perfectly great running EFI  5.0 behave like crap....ah, oh yeah, that actually happened twice but it should have been really cool.  Oh and then.,.,.and...  But I hardly ever do it....too often.

Butt (TS&T), if we didn't seek to improve these cars we would all be driving around in perfectdly STOCK old cars.....and what fun would THAT be?

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/17/2022 7:29 PM)

7/17/2022 8:01 PM  #22

Raymond_B wrote:

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Yeah my guess is they are cheap effin fans. I ordered a Soak to see if that makes a difference and now fighting with the company. If I paid a friggin premium to have these total garbage fans, I'm gonna snap and make sure the world knows not to buy their products. To boot their customer service is sub par!

I can only assume the T-Stat is good and working as I replaced it last year. As mentioned, the flowing isn't visible in the rad on a cold start, only later. And it doesn't stop flowing nor the the temp gauges drop, only climb.

Sorry to hear about the poor customer service, what's the name of the place so we can all stay away?

As far as "cheap" fans go, that's probably the top or at least one of the top reasons people have issues with elec fans. I'd say 2nd is wiring as the fans can pull a LOT of amps especially on startup. I highly recommend SPAL.

That's exactly what I ended up doing, I ordered one SPAL just to see if that makes an improvement, if it does (as I suspect it shall) then the problem is ruled out........well one is, the other is the fact I Paid TOP dollar for a Fan, Shroud and Dual 12" fans to receive Junk Fans!
Its safe to say the Rad works cause at 80mph it cools right down to a crazy low temp, the Thermostat wouldn't stand a chance on opening with how cool it runs......I may end up switching to a 165deg thermo if that's not already in there, I just cant recall if I did that or 180....

The Company/Brand is DNA Motoring (https://dnamotoring.com/)........it was not a direct fit, the description said V8 1967/68 Mustang/Cougars/Maverick, so there's that lol.

7/17/2022 8:03 PM  #23

7/17/2022 8:47 PM  #24

Good luck with any kind of tech support for issues.

The curved blades and S blades get me confused.
I would try them on the bench and see which direction the blades draw to most air as mounted on radiator.
Sometimes, too many blades makes the fan operate worse.

Sorry to hear about your poor results.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/17/2022 8:48 PM)

7/18/2022 5:10 AM  #25

I would not advise running a t-stat of less than 180 degrees.  You do not want to over cool the engine.  The warmer the engine runs the less it wears internally.  Modern cars run at least a 195 t-stat, many run hotter.  So long as the system doesn't boil over you ideally want to run it as hot as possible.  With reasonable system pressure you are not going to boil over until north of 250 degrees. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.