FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2022 11:43 AM  #1

Carb spacer for Edelbrock 1406

My current installation of the Edelbrock 1406 has an aluminum 1" spacer and I am getting tired of my carb heat soaking, causing hard starting and idling after sitting for a while after shutting off while still hot. What is the best non aluminum spacer for my  model carb? Some have four holes and some only one big hole. Thoughts?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/20/2022 12:33 PM  #2

Re: Carb spacer for Edelbrock 1406

While you have the current spacer, perhaps altering your warm starting procedure will get you going more quickly.  The correct starting procedure for a warm engine with a carburetor, according to the old manual, is to partially depress and hold the accelerator pedal while cranking the engine.  This will open the throttle blades some providing extra air the engine needs to offset the fuel.  Do not more the accelerator pedal once you partially depress it so you don't add any squirts of fuel.  Just hold it open.

Last edited by Rufus68 (7/20/2022 12:41 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/20/2022 12:37 PM  #3

Aluminum spacers will transfer heat to the carburator, wood and phenolic resin spacers block this heat transfer much better.
Google "carburator open plenum and four-hole plenum spacers".  There is a lot of info out there.
I have a 1/2" phenolic resin spacer and am happy it, but I have a Shelby scoop also. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/20/2022 1:55 PM  #4

I have an  Edelbrock Performer intake also - just wondering which spacer to get? Four hole or open?

7/20/2022 2:07 PM  #5

Edelbrock part #8711

7/20/2022 2:09 PM  #6

I had 1406 and Performer 289 intake as well.
I used Edelbrock’s 3/8” heat isolator spacer.
It was enough to stop the percolating in California in the valley.

As I recall it’s a 2 hole oval spacer with divider in middle.

Rufus…Do you have to wear heels during start up?

7/20/2022 2:47 PM  #7

Well, that is from an original manual.  Perhaps the Mustang was originally a secretary's car...

...before Shelby got a hold of it that is

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/20/2022 2:54 PM  #8

Today's computers that control fuel (EFI) have taken over the job of properly starting a car.  You can call this "start by wire".  Before EFI, meaning classic cars with carburetors, the driver had to know the proper procedure for starting the engine based on the needs dictated by the conditions.  The drivers of today simply turn the key or press the START button and are clueless to the thought that in the past starting an engine took knowing the correct procedure.  Watch this vintage video that was responding to complaints of hard starting engines in new cars. 

7/20/2022 2:55 PM  #9

josh-kebob wrote:

Edelbrock part #8711

Thanks Josh - I ordered one with the gaskets. Hope it solves my issue.

7/20/2022 2:59 PM  #10

Rufus68 wrote:

Today's computers that control fuel (EFI) have taken over the job of properly starting a car.  You can call this "start by wire".  Before EFI, meaning classic cars with carburetors, the driver had to know the proper procedure for starting the engine based on the needs dictated by the conditions.  The drivers of today simply turn the key or press the START button and are clueless to the thought that in the past starting an engine took knowing the correct procedure.  Watch this vintage video that was responding to complaints of hard starting engines in new cars. 

Thanks Rufus - it isn't that hard to start when hot, just that it won't idle smoothly long enough to get it in gear and get moving. It loads up and dies. Last year, I reset the idle mixtures and idle speed using a vacuum gauge and tach. It was idling too slow to keep the alternator charging. I've had the heat soak problem before that.

7/20/2022 3:11 PM  #11

I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM (knock-off) and my air cleaner hold down screw(??) almost touches the bottom of my hood!!!
For the life-of-me I don't think it has a spacer under the carb. IF............I could I would use a wooden spacer.
Guess I 'could' put a 4 or 5 inch spacer underneath the hood hinges like the old Super Stock Fords used back in the early 60's.
As a kid I always thought that looked.... macho!  The purpose was to let excess heat from under the hood.
Naturally some of the-cool-kidz did that and.... used the short Country Club Malt Liquor cans as "spacers"!
Howz that for a little "Throwback-Wednesday" usless info??!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/20/2022 3:53 PM  #12

As usual, I stir up the carburetor controversy. I have never used a spacer under any carburetor and have never had any heat related issues. I live in Tx where it has been 100 degrees every day this summer. I just do not understand what causes problems with some cars and not with others.

I can only assume there are vast differences in the types of fuel supply lines running between the pump and carb. I see some real scary stuff on alot of cars at various car shows.

I have always tried to run hard lines formed like factory lines, where they do not touch anything and do not have fuel filters atop the engine, or other heat soak potential problems. Is that what makes mine work but not others?  I am just real curious why this is even a thing.  Temperatures where I drive are at least as hot as anywhere else in the world experiences.  All I have ever used is a single gasket. I prefer the fully open plenum type gaskets to not risk pieces ever coming loose and being ingested.

Why does my carb work fine and others do not?   Note I made no mention of carb brand, which I think would be totally irrelevant.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/20/2022 8:04 PM  #13

MS wrote:

As usual, I stir up the carburetor controversy. I have never used a spacer under any carburetor and have never had any heat related issues. I live in Tx where it has been 100 degrees every day this summer. I just do not understand what causes problems with some cars and not with others.

I can only assume there are vast differences in the types of fuel supply lines running between the pump and carb. I see some real scary stuff on alot of cars at various car shows.

I have always tried to run hard lines formed like factory lines, where they do not touch anything and do not have fuel filters atop the engine, or other heat soak potential problems. Is that what makes mine work but not others? I am just real curious why this is even a thing. Temperatures where I drive are at least as hot as anywhere else in the world experiences. All I have ever used is a single gasket. I prefer the fully open plenum type gaskets to not risk pieces ever coming loose and being ingested.

Why does my carb work fine and others do not? Note I made no mention of carb brand, which I think would be totally irrelevant.

Its because you're a special retired guy..........!!

7/21/2022 11:27 AM  #14

I should have included the following in my earlier response. …
Edelbrock Performer RPM Manifold #7181
Trans Dapt 1/2" Carb Spacer #2370, 4-Hole
Holley DP 600CFM
BBK Headers
180 degree T-Stat.

I’ve never had starting issues when hot, (before or after installing a functional Shelby scoop) and included this spacer “good to have” on the original build.

7/25/2022 1:42 PM  #15

Mine has the same issue.  When its warm I hold it to the floor.  When it first fires I let off the gas pedal and it fires right up.  

7/31/2022 5:25 PM  #16

Well, I got the Edelbrock plastic carb spacer and new gaskets and installed them. I drove the car for 1/2 and hour on the freeway with outside air temps in the low 90's. I parked it and shut it off and let it soak for fifteen minutes. It started right up and idled nicely. I also had rerouted my fuel line on top of the manifold so that the metal fuel filter wasn't in contact with the intake manifold. Which ever thing I did, managed to help the situation. Thanks for the suggestions.

8/01/2022 9:50 AM  #17

Glad you solved this, good luck going forward.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.