FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2022 1:46 PM  #1

lower rear spring plates

Would someone have in your bone pile, a pair of lower rear spring plates, Ford basic number 5758, 5759 for a 3 inch tube rear differential?  Maybe older Ford car or light truck that used a 3-inch tube diff.  These are the ones that the rear shock attaches to.  I would send a picture of the ones I took off my '65, but I don't know how to do it.  Thanks 

7/25/2022 3:37 PM  #2

Re: lower rear spring plates

For consideration - I used the original Mustang spring plates and elongated the holes to fit the 3” housing.  I then made a ¼” plate to fit the 3” housing and mounted it underneath the spring plate.   
Note that some older Ford cars had narrower width leaf springs than the 2.5” wide springs found on the Mustang.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/25/2022 7:36 PM  #3

You can order new from Mustang Vendors or, I used my original 66 plates and slotted the holes. I then welded thick washers underneath to strengthen the slotted area.
All that said, I think I might have one side in my pile.  I can check…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/26/2022 12:58 PM  #4

I checked today. The plates I have are all for 2-3/4” axles.   Sorry but I can’t help this time.

7/26/2022 2:52 PM  #5

I have purchased parts from this guy several years ago.
He was reasonable with his prices.

I found him on Craigslist at the time, but I believe he has a FB marketplace account now.

Minnesota as I recall.

He is closing his doors soon, aka retiring.
He has Ford and Mercury parts from 50’s to 90’s.

Joe
(651) 437-6787

Last edited by Nos681 (7/26/2022 2:54 PM)

7/26/2022 3:48 PM  #6

Nos681 wrote:

I found him on Craigslist at the time, but I believe he has a FB marketplace account now.

Minnesota as I recall.

Joe
(651) 437-6787

Seems to be a trend, old guys retiring lately!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/26/2022 8:27 PM  #7

Rudi wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Minnesota as I recall.

Joe
(651) 437-6787

I said I was retiring.  Never said I was “old”.

7/27/2022 8:24 PM  #8

Thanks to everyone for the information you shared on my post.  With your info, I know I can get it done now.

7/28/2022 11:07 AM  #9

MS wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Minnesota as I recall.

Joe
(651) 437-6787

I said I was retiring.  Never said I was “old”.

With you being 67, you didn't have to tell us you were old.  We can always say we've got the mind of a twenty year old with decades of experience.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/29/2022 4:37 PM  #10

I installed a 9" rear axle that was custom made and it had 3" tubes. I took a pair of 65 spring plates and had the holes welded shut. I then re-drilled the plates to fit the custom bent U- bolts that fit the 3" tubes.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/29/2022 5:01 PM  #11

Ron68 wrote:

I installed a 9" rear axle that was custom made and it had 3" tubes. I took a pair of 65 spring plates and had the holes welded shut. I then re-drilled the plates to fit the custom bent U- bolts that fit the 3" tubes.

Overall, that is probably the beet way yo go, IF you can drill through part weldment and part mild steel without the bit walking toward the softer metal. Get it right, as I am sure Ron’s competent hands did,  and you have a perfect fix.

7/29/2022 8:21 PM  #12

Ron68 wrote:

good idea and thanks

7/30/2022 1:07 AM  #13

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Overall, that is probably the beet way yo go, IF you can drill through part weldment and part mild steel without the bit walking toward the softer metal. Get it right, as I am sure Ron’s competent hands did, and you have a perfect fix.

Thanks MS for the complement - but I have to admit that I did the mod back when I was still working for the airline. I gave the welder and a machinist a dozen donuts each to help me get the holes filled and the plates drilled. :-) Worked like a charm....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/30/2022 6:44 AM  #14

Clamped on a mill table and drilled with an end mill solves the "walking" problem.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/31/2022 8:47 AM  #15

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Thanks MS for the complement - but I have to admit that I did the mod back when I was still working for the airline. I gave the welder and a machinist a dozen donuts each to help me get the holes filled and the plates drilled. :-) Worked like a charm....

Thank goodness for machinists at work, the guys I dealt with liked different flavored coffee beans.  At one point, they had me get them some "Jamaican Rum" flavored beans, after delivery, then told me there is alcohol in it and were reporting me to security … thankfully they were joking. (However, I didn’t buy it again, and checked the label on whatever they did ask for!)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.