FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2022 10:18 PM  #1

what is your favorite engine oil to break in ne engine?

I ran Royal Purple in my lat car from Break in till my wreck. I noticed they have a zinc break in oil now.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/01/2022 1:03 AM  #2

Re: what is your favorite engine oil to break in ne engine?

For the last 25 years I've kept track and researched oil for the BEST.   Amsoil has always beat all others in independent SAE tests.  

https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil-zrd/

8/01/2022 5:51 AM  #3

On a fresh engine don't use synthetic.  You likely won't get the rings to seat.  I would suggest either Royal Purple or Joe Gibbs dedicated break in oils.  I would go 2 oil changes after that with a quality conventional oil, then feel free to switch to synthetic (and I'll second Amsoil as the best synthetic out there). 

8/01/2022 6:59 AM  #4

I used Castrol 10w30 with Zinc Booster added. Ran the 30 minute break in . Changed oil and filter with zinc booster again used Castrol conventional ran the 2200 miles to last bash. then switched to Amsoil 10-40 synthetic Zrod oil . no issues .

If its worth doing do it right !

8/01/2022 9:12 AM  #5

I've only used Valvoline VR1 oil and been super happy with it

8/01/2022 6:10 PM  #6

I used Brad Penn Break In oil. Worked fine for me.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/01/2022 6:51 PM  #7

I may use the Royal Purple Break in for the first time or 2.

8/01/2022 7:23 PM  #8

The first oil in my 331 was regular Castrol GTX 10w30 for 500 miles, the the same for the next 2000 x4.
I figured that was enough to break it in
Now there is Castrol 5w40 synthetic in the crank case, changed every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Regular oil changes is cheap insurance.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/02/2022 11:47 AM  #9

For your 'new' roller motor??
What ever Walmart has on sale(non synthetic 'may be' single weight like 30W)
It all comes outta the same hole man! IMHO
Today's modern rings seat almost immediately so long as everything is put together/pre-lubed right.
IF high dollar "break-in oil" helps you sleep better at night(for a roller motor)..pay the cash and sleep tight.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/03/2022 9:46 PM  #10

The Cam came  the other day with a small bottle of additive said it treats 6 quarts of oil.
Howards cams ZPMmax   zinc phosphate moly

8/05/2022 9:12 AM  #11

​The first engine I built was with my brothers when I was 8years old .. under the supervision   of our Father  
​Many motors since  ....  I still break in all with  ATF  for the first 2 hours ....
THIS was DADS secret !!!  

I can now pass it on to you ..

Last edited by Vkt-66 (8/05/2022 9:14 AM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

8/05/2022 9:52 AM  #12

Vkt-66 wrote:

​The first engine I built was with my brothers when I was 8years old .. under the supervision   of our Father  
​Many motors since  ....  I still break in all with  ATF  for the first 2 hours ....
THIS was DADS secret !!!  

Are you KIDD'IN ME!!!!...
Straight ATF ??!
How about some more details.... run engine for.....2 hours....2000 miles?
That stuff is mighty thin .
I use it to lube the rings walls and such butt........WOW!
Enquiring minds wanna know!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/05/2022 12:46 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Vkt-66 wrote:

THIS was DADS secret !!!  

Are you KIDD'IN ME!!!!...
Straight ATF ??!
How about some more details.... run engine for.....2 hours....2000 miles?
That stuff is mighty thin .
I use it to lube the rings walls and such butt........WOW!
Enquiring minds wanna know!
6sal6

!!! NOT  KIDDING  !!!
run ATF for 2 hours while adjusting lifters n carb ..checking for  h2o  -n-  Oil  leeks ..
after fill with whatever oil -n- filter of your choice... 
No need to break in engine while driving ..
my oil preference has always been
Castrol® GTX® 20W-50
love that stuff never opened up a engine with crud gummed up in it !!

Knew this would get someone's  attention  !! 
always work for me never had a engine failure

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

8/05/2022 5:27 PM  #14

I think the "pucker-factor" would be crippling!
Don't know if I have the  cahonez to do it!! (not doubting your results its just........
Afraid I might hyper ventilate while going it!)
6sal6

8/05/2022 5:35 PM  #15

I’m with you Sal, a double pair of “Depends” would be a prerequisite.💩

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/07/2022 8:55 PM  #16

Anybody else got a choice of oil??

8/07/2022 10:54 PM  #17

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Anybody else got a choice of oil??

30 or 10-30 from whichever brand strikes my fancy at the time.  And I have over 500k miles on 3 engines.  But I canyon carve.  I let others break their rides drag racing.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/10/2023 11:16 PM  #18

How about Filters....normally use the FL-1A Motorcraft. What do yall use?

2/11/2023 6:47 AM  #19

Raymond_B wrote:

I've only used Valvoline VR1 oil and been super happy with it

Ditto.

2/11/2023 7:07 AM  #20

I recall when Sal last mentioned the ATF for break-in. I shook my head in disbelief then and my head is still shaking this time. But if he says it works, then who are we to judge?  LOL!

2/11/2023 7:08 AM  #21

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

How about Filters....normally use the FL-1A Motorcraft. What do yall use?

Motorcraft or NAPA Gold.  NAPA's filters are made by Wix, so you can't do much better than.

2/11/2023 8:00 AM  #22

I run NAPA gold filters on everything I own except my 6.0 Diesel where I use Motorcraft or Racor (builds the filters for Motorcraft) due to a patent issue that keeps aftermarket filters from being made to the same spec as Ford/International.

For break in oil, with a roller cam I wouldn't get too concerned about it.  Just use a good conventional oil.  For a flat tappet cam I would run a dedicated break in oil to make sure I had proper ZDDP concentration. 

2/11/2023 12:30 PM  #23

I’ve been using Pennzoil, various grades, on my daily drivers for years, and in my race cars years ago.  I’m using Pennzoil 10w-30 in my Mustang’s 351W.
Also been using Fram PH8A filters for years on my daily drivers, race car and my Mustang with no issues.

My two-cents … as long you’re using a known quality oil and filter, its all the same. (not comparing with synthetics)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/11/2023 12:40 PM  #24

broke my 289 in with PennGrade 30wt break-in oil, Shop recommended it and since they were standing behind it I went for it. Engine got 2 full oil changes in less that 30 miles due to the rocker stud failure, then another oil change. Then at or around 1500 they switched me to PennGrad parcel syn 10-30.Now has 4K on it with all3 of the oil changes. BUT I will change over to Z Rod by Amsoil before the road trip. I always run WIX 51515 oil filters and Amsoil in everything.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/11/2023 8:16 PM  #25

Chaplin wrote:

I recall when Sal last mentioned the ATF for break-in. I shook my head in disbelief then and my head is still shaking this time. But if he says it works, then who are we to judge?  LOL!

NO-NO-NO! Chap!!.....that weren't me.
I USED ATF to wipe down the cylinder walls and poured it on the ring pac!!!

I use EARL / AWL / OIL whateverrrr in the crankcase to break in.
6s6

I don't have the 'nadz' to breake one in on ATF.....
Dat wuz de udder feller.......
6sal6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.