FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2022 12:01 PM  #51

Re: Mustang Death Valley Challenge

Range and charging availability aside, I wonder how something like a Tesla that has a liquid battery cooling system would do?

6/16/2022 9:28 PM  #52

Interesting story…

When the wife and I drove through Death Valley  in January we saw a Tesla.

We got up at O’dark thirty, hopped in the van and drove out north through the park for sunrise.  Saw several folks photographing the sunrise from different vantage point.

Also saw a Tesla S or Y out in the ding weeds, brush and sand.  Looked like they spent the night out there.  Park service was most likely not pleased…

BTW I think I am down for a Death Valley trip.

8/05/2022 11:55 PM  #53

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/06/2022 6:08 AM  #54

Bad news for the 1000 people there, I'm guessing it could get quite hot there soon.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/06/2022 9:20 AM  #55

BobE wrote:

Bad news for the 1000 people there, I'm guessing it could get quite hot there soon.

Man, that would be my luck. Surely they are sending help to keep those folks from dying out there???

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/06/2022 10:01 AM  #56

8/06/2022 12:08 PM  #57

There is a reason it’s called DEATH Valley!☠️

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/06/2022 12:27 PM  #58

I am interested.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

8/06/2022 2:27 PM  #59

Rudi wrote:

There is a reason it’s called DEATH Valley!☠️

X-2!

6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/07/2022 12:13 PM  #60

There are several entrances/exits to and from Death Valley accessible by four wheel drive, and I have been on most of the access/egress points and a stock four wheel drive truck can easily make these grades. Google Maps Cerro Gordo just outside of Lone Pine and you will see the road leading to the silver mine (graded for two wheel drive cars), which continues past the silver mine into Death Valley. For kicks, Google the salt tram that used to transport salt from Death Valley to a steamship on Owens Lake. Much of the tram system remains and it is a great day exploring.

8/09/2022 8:59 AM  #61

I'm intrigued by this idea.  With that said, it would help to have my car finished. 

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

8/09/2022 9:02 AM  #62

mustangermike wrote:

I'm intrigued by this idea.  With that said, it would help to have my car finished. 

What is left to do?
Should we call Garage Squad?

8/10/2022 7:27 AM  #63

I'm getting up the gumption to start cutting up my floor pans.  I got the car back up on wheel dollies yesterday.  Next step is to move the car out of the way, make sure my floor is level, get it back on jackstands, etc.  Then I will be ready start cutting.  All of that to say, I sure wish I had a minisplit in my garage!

Last edited by mustangermike (8/10/2022 7:27 AM)

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

8/10/2022 12:35 PM  #64

Although not as hot as Texas, could use a minispilt in NY too. 

8/22/2022 5:34 PM  #65

Last weekend, I drove a passenger car on U.S. 395 from the intersection of 395/15 to June Lake, approximately 280 miles. The route parallels Death Valley and we saw temperatures ranging from 102 F to 108 F. The weather report states Death Valley is 117F today. I will make the drive to Lone Pine, which sits to the west of Death Valley by approximately 25 miles, in the Model T in late October and report on temperatures upon my return.

8/23/2022 8:45 AM  #66

Thanks boss357 for the info. Maybe you could plan out a route? Let us know.

8/25/2022 9:56 AM  #67

MS wrote:

Thanks boss357 for the info. Maybe you could plan out a route? Let us know.

I will post a couple of routes. A loop taking in Death Valley and Panamint Valley can range from about 350-670 miles depending on where you start and finish. The adventure could start and end at Santa Monica Pier, the approximate end of Route 66, and that loop would be approximately 670 miles. 

Another consideration is whether you want all highway, or a combination of highway and stop and go. Either way, there will be some interesting stops and sights to see.

9/02/2022 4:20 PM  #68

9/03/2022 1:52 PM  #69

No thanks, not on my bucket list.  

9/30/2022 3:00 PM  #70

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/06/2022 4:13 PM  #72

I did not see that, but makes sense to ley somebody local do all the planning.  Seems like it would be cooling off in November??
But most would have more likely met their medical insurance deductible by then…. Just thinking ahead.

2/15/2023 4:43 PM  #73

So which forum member is affiliated with Sick the Mag?

https://www.sickthemagazine.com/death-week

2/24/2023 1:23 PM  #74

Took a road trip through Death Valley last weekend in my truck. From Baker, proceeded north to Furnace Creek (113 miles) and spent the night in Furnace Creek. Lodging in Furnace Creek was $325 for two double beds in a room. Lodging at the Inn at Furnace Creek was $600 per night. At the Ranch, you can park your car in front of your room. The Inn has valet parking and an outdoor parking lot below. Prime Rib dinner at the Ranch was $50 per person and very good. Breakfast at the Inn was $30 per person and very good.

Night 2, we stayed at Panamint Springs Resort (55 miles from Furnace Creek), $253 per night for a tiny room. Dinner at Panamint Springs Resort was good and about $45 per person.

Night 3, we stayed at the Dow Villa Motel (50 miles from Panamint Springs) in Lone Pine and explored Lone Pine. 

Observations: Weather was perfect between 55-75F during the day, 40-45F at night. Clear and sunny most of the time. This trip can easily be done in a day. We stopped at every stop and took our time. Roads were clear and free of debris. The road to Scotty's Castle is closed indefinitely. I would suggest spending the night in Furnace Creek as Baker is approximately 188 miles from the coast, making it a 300 mile day for me. 

If I find time, I will take the Mustang through Death Valley in early April.

4/13/2023 11:07 PM  #75

I’m in Death Valley right now- April 2023

High today was 88, later this week it is supposed to tickle 100.  There was a vintage car run of some sort we crossed paths with today.  All nicely restored from the 30’s and 40’s.  Traveling in small groups with what appeared to be chase cars..  A mind blowing amount of flowers in bloom.

We entered the park from the Southeast.  Went from Shoshone West to Ashford Mill, then North to Badwater Basin, Devils golf course, Artists Palette and finally Furnace Creek for the night..

April might be a good month to do a future Death Valley run.

Still an unforgiving place.  There was a guy taking a break in the shade on the side of a pit toilet.  You got to be pretty desperate to use a pit full of poo as a shade structure.  Next time I come I am putting one of those pop up shade structures in the ride just in case.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.