FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2022 5:42 PM  #1

Proof that I still actually work on Mustangs

Putting new driver front floor in Jose’s 65 fastback. He is trying to have it ready for the Corpus Christi mini bash.   I hate the new floor pans that do not have the corner filled in under the accelerator pedal. They are a pain to fit and, if the corner is rusted, you have make a patch to fill in the inner front corner.

I was able to reach through the hole to weld a tiny leak in the top of the H-pipe joint to the exhaust pipes. I am definitely not as fast as I used to be!!!!  Spent ten hours on this and the carpet was already out.  Gettng it right takes time.

Don’t worry about those OOPS cuts on the frame rail flanges. They got welded up and ground down before the new floor went in. I have no idea how those cuts got there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/28/2022 7:29 PM  #2

Re: Proof that I still actually work on Mustangs

LOOKING GOOD

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/29/2022 9:35 AM  #3

Don't matter how fast you go the key is your still going.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

10/29/2022 11:13 AM  #4

I always say I can till the pain set in.

10/29/2022 1:15 PM  #5

I’m noticing now that I’m nearly 3/4 a century old doing things under the dash are becoming increasingly difficult. Not so much getting under there but getting back out.lol But I’m still at it.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/29/2022 1:30 PM  #6

It’ll keep you young and active.   Looks like you’ve done this once or twice.

10/29/2022 11:48 PM  #7

BillyC wrote:

I’m noticing now that I’m nearly 3/4 a century old doing things under the dash are becoming increasingly difficult. Not so much getting under there but getting back out.lol But I’m still at it.

Ditto to that! (I'll be 73 in a month) The getting under is a PITA, but getting back out is worse....but I'm gonna do it till I can't do it anymore!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/30/2022 7:43 AM  #8

Action shots. Gotta mark sparks to prove action, right?
Whole point of this is to show the protected windshield. Grinding sparks travel a long way and will destroy a windshield with embedded particles. These cars rust bad enough without also having a windshield that rusts when you clean it.

10/31/2022 9:01 AM  #9

Good Work!

10/31/2022 9:33 AM  #10

Go Steve Go

10/31/2022 12:22 PM  #11

Who doubted that you didn’t. . .  . can’t stop what’s in your DNA👍

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/31/2022 2:30 PM  #12

One of best pieces of  "MS Advice":

2004--"Ya don't Weld??? Sheeeeee it! It's just really hot caulk. Jus spread it around!!!"

10/31/2022 5:22 PM  #13

How many cutting wheels did you use?

10/31/2022 6:31 PM  #14

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

How many cutting wheels did you use?

I think four. First two were not the ones I usually use and they wore out fast. The Dewalt ones did better. I also used a ripper on my air hammer to rough cut the big pieces. My modus operandi is lots of small pieces with stuff flying everywhere. I do not believe in drilling spotwelds as that leaves holes. I grind off the spotwelds and chisel out the metal they were holding in

10/31/2022 7:49 PM  #15

NICE WORK

11/04/2022 5:52 PM  #16

best haiku

Try these wheels next time. (They are my favorite!!!)
"go-git'em-welder!"
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/04/2022 5:53 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/04/2022 6:51 PM  #17

Brahahaha! 🤣🤣🤣

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/04/2022 7:33 PM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

best haiku

Try these wheels next time. (They are my favorite!!!)
"go-git'em-welder!"
6sal6

When I was in High School there was a poster about drinking and driving it had Stevie Wonder on it with the caption  "Before I ride with a drunk......I will drive myself" 

11/16/2022 4:36 PM  #19

Do you still enjoy doing that level of work Steve, or are you feeling a bit over it these days?
I know for myself, you can go through phases where the thought of cutting and welding just makes a man want to run in the other direction.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/16/2022 10:09 PM  #20

I actually enjoy cutting and grinding and welding. Probably because it takes alot of hammering (percussion engineering) to make it all fit. It takes my mind off my back and neck pain while performing the work, at least until I get done.
Plus, now Jose owes me a big rib dinner. He and his wife know how to whip up some seriously delicious ribs, and that was the agreed upon trade for the floor replacement job. That, plus he got my welding gas bottle refilled.  And I doubt Uncle has figured out how to tax a rib dinner.

11/17/2022 12:45 AM  #21

As Colonel William Ludlow in Legends of the Fall would say about anyone from the government...screw em!

Last edited by Bearing Bob (11/17/2022 12:47 AM)

11/17/2022 7:53 AM  #22

MS wrote:

I actually enjoy cutting and grinding and welding. Probably because it takes alot of hammering (percussion engineering) to make it all fit. It takes my mind off my back and neck pain while performing the work, at least until I get done.
Plus, now Jose owes me a big rib dinner. He and his wife know how to whip up some seriously delicious ribs, and that was the agreed upon trade for the floor replacement job. That, plus he got my welding gas bottle refilled.  And I doubt Uncle has figured out how to tax a rib dinner.

Well... I guess you have had plenty of experience at this sort of thing and you would no doubt know your way around a Mustang better than any of us.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/17/2022 3:41 PM  #23

I'll give you two big rib dinners if you do mine.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.