FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2022 11:48 PM  #1

2 Questions, Vibration and HiPo

I have two questions. First, Car is freshly tuned and really did not notice any difference. Anyway, starts up fine but vibrates a bit, just not smooth until I start to move out and pick up some rpm and then it smooths out fine. Slow down to coming to a stop such as pulling into my driveway or to a stop sign and there is a vibration that is noticeable.
Second, when I purchased my car 20 some years ago it was sold stating it had a 289 HiPo engine in it, not the original, a 68 or 69. I never went through trying to figure out if it was or not. Can that be determined with numbers off the block and if not is there an easy way to tell? I learned to drive in a 64 ½ 289 and it is definitely stronger than it was but it could be a 302 for all I know.
As always, thanks for any input and information shared.
Randy

11/10/2022 12:17 AM  #2

Re: 2 Questions, Vibration and HiPo

Forgot to mention. 64 ½, Holly auto C4, air, power steering, points and condenser changed to electronics. Hot coil.

11/10/2022 4:42 AM  #3

You’ve own this for 20 years.  Has this always been an issue or a sudden onset?  What changes have you done if any since you’ve owned it?   Have you done a compression check?  My first guess is a bad cam lobe or something internal.   Maybe the balancer spun?

11/10/2022 5:44 AM  #4

As for verifying if its a HiPo, there are a couple of differences.  The exhaust manifolds are considerably different.  The biggest difference is the solid lifter cam.  If it revs out easily past 5,500RPM its likely not a typical hydraulic cam 289.

11/10/2022 8:24 AM  #5

Post some pictures of the engine showing distributor, harmonic balancer and intake manifold front bolts where they go through the intake into the heads.
Pretty much, anybody that advertises a Mustang for sale with a 289 having a chrome air cleaner and a hipo decal called it a hipo 289, but very few are.  The solid lifter cam would have needed many valve adjustments over a 20 year period. It might be one, but the odds are against it.
Post some pics and we’ll try to help figure out what you have.

Does it feel like a miss, or a fuel issue?  Or maybe bad ujoint?  Have you ever changed plug wires?  Open the hood on a dark night and observe the plug wires. Old, rotten ones will show blue sparks all around them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/10/2022 9:00 AM  #6

MS wrote:

Post some pictures of the engine showing distributor, harmonic balancer and intake manifold front bolts where they go through the intake into the heads.
Pretty much, anybody that advertises a Mustang for sale with a 289 having a chrome air cleaner and a hipo decal called it a hipo 289, but very few are. The solid lifter cam would have needed many valve adjustments over a 20 year period. It might be one, but the odds are against it.
Post some pics and we’ll try to help figure out what you have.

Does it feel like a miss, or a fuel issue? Or maybe bad ujoint? Have you ever changed plug wires? Open the hood on a dark night and observe the plug wires. Old, rotten ones will show blue sparks all around them.

Agree with MS’s assessment, and post some pictures.
Another check to see if it has Hi-Po heads is to pull the valve covers, Hi-Po heads had screw-in rocker studs and a raised boss for the valve springs that is cast in the heads.  Note that screw-in studs could have replaced the press-in studs so this is not a slam dunk that they are Hi-Po heads.
As I remember, the Hi-Po block has screw-in plugs instead of press-in ‘freeze-out’ plugs.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/10/2022 9:48 PM  #7

The 289 HiPo block was a standard, run of the mill 289 block with special main bearing caps. Only the Boss 302 block had screw-in freeze plugs.

11/10/2022 10:40 PM  #8

Looks like I should have given a bit more information so you would have more to go on and things make a bit more sense knowing a bit more of my situation. I have not put many miles on this car. I worked at the same place for 30 year which was 2 miles from my house and for the last 8 years I have been retired. I have 4 Classic/Antique cars I try to keep on the road. So, do the math and there are not a lot of miles to go around.
Anyway, my wife told me about the Mustang through a friend. It was a true ‘barn’ find. The wife got it during a divorce. Didn’t want it, wanted to piss off the husband. Parked it for 15 years until she decided it was time to let it go. Although it was hit at one time the body was clean, the other parts, not so much. Engine was supposedly rebuilt so I changed everything else, springs, shocks, lines, brake parts, trans rebuilt, flywheel, water pump, air conditioning, radiator, added power steering, new wiring, I probably touched every bolt and screw on the car by this time.
Past month new wires and plugs. Now back to the problem. When I had the trans rebuilt there was the vibration and the mechanic said a tooth was missing on the flywheel and that was the cause. He put a new one on and I didn’t notice a difference so I made him change it out for another one and again no difference. Has it gotten worse, I think it has. I would have though the harmonic balancer also but from what I could research the vibration should get worse the faster/higher the rpm and in my case the engine smooths out. I use to be able to keep my idle around 800-900 but unless the car is completely warmed up it will stall out as soon as I try to move it. If I set it a bit above that it does not and also idles smoother. Sorry for the long response, I know some of you are not retired and have better things to do although I do appreciate the help and insight given. I’ll deal with the HyPo thing later.
Thanks again,
Randy

11/11/2022 5:01 AM  #9

Hard to diagnose stuff like this without actually being there, but it sounds like a vacuum leak to me. 

11/13/2022 9:39 AM  #10

You might try checking the spark plug wiring for ‘cross-talk, and the distributor cap and rotor.  Also, make sure you are not mixing 28oz and 50oz small block parts.

11/13/2022 12:22 PM  #11

Start with the simple.........recheck every plug wire. Make sure they follow the firing order. Make sure each wire is fully seated on the distrb cap and each spark plug....

11/13/2022 9:54 PM  #12

New(er) camshaft has a different firing order than old 289s
Cam been changed?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2022 10:23 PM  #13

I don't know much about the engine except what I was told. Engine rebuilt, HiPo, 68 or 69 block so it should be an earlier cam, Checked tightness of fit and proper location of plug wires. The PCV valve is a bit sloppy although I have read that some people block them off. Even so, I am waiting to obtain a new one and hose and replacing the other vacuum lines. Been out of town for a couple of days so have not been able to do any picture taking. I read about the 28 & 50 oz. thing but know nothing about it. I will have to research that. When I removed the plugs they looked good and probably didn't need to be changed (just thought I'd through that in).
Thank again for all the info.
Cheers,
Randy

11/14/2022 5:11 AM  #14

If you block the PVC you will have oil spewing out of somewhere.  You must vent the crankcase.

There are sources of vacuum leaks that you need to consider beyond hoses.  The carb base gasket, the intake leaking into the lifter valley, and possibly even a valve that isn't sealing properly.

11/14/2022 1:16 PM  #15

beer emoticons

Pull a valve cover and look for this.  Notice the pockets around the bottom of the spring.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/14/2022 3:35 PM  #16

So, it looks like I have a regular 1966,  289 in my 64 1/2.

11/15/2022 11:35 AM  #17

rap - you are correct.  And I'm not sure it is a 66 version.  The heads have round pushrod guides, instead of 'slotted' guides as can be seen in GregB's photo.  Also, you can see the date code on GregB's picture "5K2".
Although, as it is not a Hi-Po, you can build it as you want. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.