FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2022 7:58 AM  #1

did they ever start offering any decent 4.5 rear leaf springs

They have not seemed to have a decent rear spring since Mustangs Plus went out.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/12/2022 8:05 AM  #2

Re: did they ever start offering any decent 4.5 rear leaf springs

I got some from Mustangs Plus years ago they were 4.5 leaf reverse eye the last ones I purchased were 5 leaf reverse eye and took that bottom leaf off and it seemed to not have a good ride....why cant they make the 4.5 reverse eye again??

11/12/2022 9:42 AM  #3

These guys seem to have them, but they are a mid eye, so the ride height will be lowered.

https://streetortrack.com/4-5-mid-eye-leaf-spring-for-1964-73-mustang.html

11/12/2022 10:19 AM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

These guys seem to have them, but they are a mid eye, so the ride height will be lowered.

https://streetortrack.com/4-5-mid-eye-leaf-spring-for-1964-73-mustang.html

I was thinking the reverse eye was lowered not the mideye.

11/12/2022 12:52 PM  #5

I believe the mid eye are between standard height and reverse eye height.  Both mid eye and reverse eye are lowering springs. 

11/12/2022 4:07 PM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

I believe the mid eye are between standard height and reverse eye height.  Both mid eye and reverse eye are lowering springs. 

yeah I guess they have just stopped making the reversed eye 4.5 leaf altogether.

11/12/2022 4:33 PM  #7

what exactly are you trying to achieve with rear leaf springs?

11/12/2022 4:41 PM  #8

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I got some from Mustangs Plus years ago they were 4.5 leaf reverse eye the last ones I purchased were 5 leaf reverse eye and took that bottom leaf off and it seemed to not have a good ride....why cant they make the 4.5 reverse eye again??

I had their 5 leafs on my old car and thought it rode very well.  What shocks are you using and how old are they?   When you say the removal of the 5th leaf didn’t ride so well, what is the ride like now compared to before?

11/12/2022 8:19 PM  #9

Was mainly wondering if they ever started making them again they rode alot better more firm in my other car the 66 . I have Bilstein shocks . I feel like I should not have not cut the front progressive springs I have a new set ordered gonna put them on and line it up and see how it drives before messing with rear. will probably get a set of those mid eye 4.5 springs and it sits to high adjust them with lowering blocks. new engine and 24 inch radiator and coils going in next week or so.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (11/12/2022 9:00 PM)

11/12/2022 8:21 PM  #10

josh-kebob wrote:

what exactly are you trying to achieve with rear leaf springs?

Better ride it is squishy  I like a more firm ride.

11/12/2022 10:17 PM  #11

josh-kebob wrote:

Sounds like 'shocks' is what you should be thinking about
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2022 6:02 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Sounds like 'shocks' is what you should be thinking about
6sal6

I have Bilstein shocks  ....some think they are too stiff ...I believe Dwayne cut my front coils too much and they sit to low it never scrubbed before and taking the little 5th leaf off dropped the rear too much. I am not going to mess with rear till I get front like I want it.

11/13/2022 11:31 AM  #13

If you want a firmer ride then why are you removing the 5th leaf?  Is it only to lower the car?   If so try lowering blocks and put the extra leaf back in.  I’m not expert on coil springs but I’m guessing a progressive rate spring is design to utilize the complete spring and if you remove some of the coil I would think you can greatly affect how that coil acts.

11/13/2022 1:00 PM  #14

I think he has stock 4 leaf springs now and wanted a compromise between then and the 5 leafs.  The 4.5s are such a compromise, and should help reduce spring wrap on hard acceleration as well as a 5 leaf. 

I'd avoid lowering blocks though.  Spring wrap is bad enough in these cars as it is, even without a lot of power.  Blocks make that condition MUCH worse. 

11/13/2022 9:52 PM  #15

You know they make coil spring 'isolators' (that go under the front coil springs). They come in different thicknesses. 1/2"...1"...2"
all the way up to 3 inches.
Moog makes 'em.........Jegs, Summit has them.
If you need to raise the front back up a 1/2" or so just put one of these under the springs!
S'wat I did and some others too.
Sure cheaper than buying new springs because you cut too much off of them
Under 20 bux......You'll need a new alignment but....new springs would too.
Look 'em up
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2022 10:16 PM  #16

This is Mustangs Plus new site.

This is made by Scott Drake, 5 leaf, reverse eye
And if it’s made by Scott Drake, perhaps you can find at a local shop.

You may want to look at NPD and call to see if they have a spring that fills your desired ride height.
Eaton makes their springs.

I have 90’s vintage Mustangs Plus 5 leaf mid-eye springs.
Don’t know who made their springs back then.

Another option is Mike Maier leaf springs.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/13/2022 10:30 PM)

11/14/2022 5:07 AM  #17

Scott Drake = RUN

With the spotty quality of the rest of their products, no way I'd trust their springs. 

11/14/2022 12:22 PM  #18

Just my 2 cents, I would go with Eaton Detroit Springs. Call and talk to them- they may have made the original springs for your car.

11/16/2022 4:30 PM  #19

Or... You can take your springs to a Blacksmith and have them reset. I did this on mine and am very happy with the result.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.