FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2022 6:14 AM  #1

DIY Strut rods with spherical bearing

Hi
I was thinking of fabricating some strutrods bearing for my 73.I dont wanna destroy the old rod, instead use it. I have seen a solution that RRS i Australia manufacturs.  My idea, use a spherical bearing with a holder thats wld to a plate. Bolt the plate to the chassi with 4 bolt. Insert the rod with a sleeve and now its fully adjustable. Will the bearing holder resist the force from the car when breaking/accelerating ? Its a snap ring that holds the bearing in place on one side.

12/05/2022 6:30 AM  #2

Re: DIY Strut rods with spherical bearing

I would think any load should be applied to the bearing ends and not the housing for the bearing.  Meaning the bearing would be support on each side.

12/05/2022 7:17 AM  #3

12/05/2022 10:00 AM  #4

Those are interesting would like to see Mustangsteve and Daze opinions on them.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/05/2022 10:12 AM  #5

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Those are interesting would like to see Mustangsteve and Daze opinions on them.

Just what I was thinking :-)

The nice part would be that no modification to the old rods would be needed.

12/05/2022 10:29 AM  #6

Mach173 wrote:

Hi
I was thinking of fabricating some strutrods bearing for my 73.I dont wanna destroy the old rod, instead use it. I have seen a solution that RRS i Australia manufacturs.  My idea, use a spherical bearing with a holder thats wld to a plate. Bolt the plate to the chassi with 4 bolt. Insert the rod with a sleeve and now its fully adjustable. Will the bearing holder resist the force from the car when breaking/accelerating ? Its a snap ring that holds the bearing in place on one side.

I personally would hesitate to use that bearing in this type of application.
I don’t think that bearing is designed for loads along this hole axis., but rather radial loads perpendicular to it. The snap ring and the lip on the bearing holder does not look like would be safe to restrain the bearing in a lateral direction.
I guess that it could be used if some type of safety restraint was made to capture the spherical ball in case it pulled loose from its housing.

Last edited by Rudi (12/05/2022 10:34 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/05/2022 11:14 AM  #7

Ignore my response. I see what you’re trying to now.

12/05/2022 11:49 AM  #8

First step would be to check the load ratings of the bearings, and what loads the strut rods have. From what I remember, the axial load limit is around half what the radial load is on a rod end bearing. I haven't checked but I'd think a fully encased rod bearing would carry more load than one with a snap ring.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/05/2022 12:43 PM  #9

I doubt you would like the ride quality.

Consider failure mode first. What happens if that flange or c-clip shears off?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/05/2022 9:20 PM  #10

I’d be hesitant, if I did do it I would probably use a spiral retaining ring instead of an internal circlip.  There are spherical pivots out there for the stock radius rods. 

https://opentrackerracing.com/shop/racing-strut-rod-bushing-set-1967-1973-mustang/

12/06/2022 12:00 AM  #11

Bentworker wrote:

I’d be hesitant, if I did do it I would probably use a spiral retaining ring instead of an internal circlip. There are spherical pivots out there for the stock radius rods.

https://opentrackerracing.com/shop/racing-strut-rod-bushing-set-1967-1973-mustang/

Delrin seems nice actually never seen them before. Well Il maybe build the struts with a clsassic uniball style instead.

Last edited by Mach173 (12/06/2022 12:00 AM)

12/06/2022 2:23 AM  #12

Uniball, that's its name! Neither BB nor I could remember its name.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/06/2022 2:58 AM  #13

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.