FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2022 9:56 AM  #1

Crank repair sleeve install to avoid rear main seal leaks

I have put together the 4th video in my 393W build series.  It goes over the install and removal of a a rear crankshaft sleeve.

https://youtu.be/q2OGzVgcvKA

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/08/2022 12:33 PM  #2

Re: Crank repair sleeve install to avoid rear main seal leaks

Again, well done Day.  Thank you.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/08/2022 1:16 PM  #3

Nice work, Day - as usual.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/08/2022 6:13 PM  #4

Definitely liked the removal.
Great info as usual.
Thanks!

12/08/2022 7:22 PM  #5

Ditto brother. As Dan pointed out, the removal is pretty cool. Thanks mucho for sharing your knowledge.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/08/2022 10:32 PM  #6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/09/2022 6:01 AM  #7

Great job.  I always wished I had the patience to make videos like this.  I’m very thankful to those like yourself who do take the time to make them.  They have helped me and I’m sure many others.

12/09/2022 9:35 AM  #8

Nice job on the sleeve!
Nice job on the manicure!🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/09/2022 3:38 PM  #9

Great job on the video. Your voice works great for this. However, I still cannot decide which I like best, the talking pointer, or the talking arm!

I agree your tool will work great and is the best method for anyone who might be percussion engineering challenged.

If I were you, I would drill out about 50 of them and put it on the market.  The secondary selling point is it fits any small block Ford whether 289,302, 5.0 or 351w or cleveland.

Good ideas!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/09/2022 5:15 PM  #10

RTM wrote:

Great job. I always wished I had the patience to make videos like this. I’m very thankful to those like yourself who do take the time to make them. They have helped me and I’m sure many others.

Glad I can help!! It's gratifying to know people are able to use what I am creating.  I am a car guy first and a business owner second so It has always been my goal to help as many people in this hobby as I can.  

I have a love hate relationship with the videos.  I enjoy the editing other then the fact that it is quite time consuming typically 2-8 hours for a 20 minute video depending on the quality of the footage I started with.   The filming on the other hand is a real pain.  When I would do How-to web pages I could work a little, stop, take a pic, work a little more take another pic and so on.  With filming thats not an option, the camera has to be set up and running while I'm working or I have to stage it after the fact (that is why I spend so much time being floating hands at the bench).  Seams like the camera is always in the way when I am trying to work AND if I am not behind the camera I have no way of knowing if what I am doing is still in the shot.  Add that to the fact that I have no desire to actually be in my videos (other than my hands) and it becomes even harder.  

Rudi wrote:

Nice job on the sleeve!
Nice job on the manicure!🤪

My finger nails grow freakishly fast!!! 😁😂

MS wrote:

Great job on the video. Your voice works great for this. However, I still cannot decide which I like best, the talking pointer, or the talking arm!

Lets face it they are both bad 😂😂

MS wrote:

I agree your tool will work great and is the best method for anyone who might be percussion engineering challenged.

If I were you, I would drill out about 50 of them and put it on the market. The secondary selling point is it fits any small block Ford whether 289,302, 5.0 or 351w or cleveland.

Good ideas!

Not a bad idea but with all the holes, having them laser cut would probably cost me $15-$20 each then  shipping and service fees like PayPal would probably be another $15.  That doesn't leave a lot of meat on the bone.  Especially when a person could grab a piece of scrap steel and make one at the drill press in an hour or less.  In fact if you used a hot wrench to cut the large hole in the middle you could make one in less than 15 minutes.  

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/10/2022 11:38 AM  #11

This is one of the best videos I have ever seen.  Explains the subject matter perfectly.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

12/10/2022 12:04 PM  #12

Another great video!   

Just thinking along your lines of triangulation and three bolts.  If you only used 3 like you mentioned, when those bottomed out, put the short ones in the other three and then no changing the bolts out!.    But not like this is a production line, where it matters.   Just putting down what thought popped into my head when watching that.   

Its a great video, going to help lots of people.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/10/2022 6:17 PM  #13

Welp...(thx RPM)...I guess running the bolts in with an impact wrench is a 'poor idea' ?!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/10/2022 9:01 PM  #14

I have installed several using the correct tool and a hammer with no problem. The Victor Reinz brands come with the tool. . 

Always apply red loctite.

10ga flat steel would be plenty thick enough to work with the bolt method.

Isn’t there a cast iron plumbing flange out there that could be drilled?  (Just random thoughts)

I use a PVC pipe fitting to install the one piece rear main seal itself.

12/10/2022 9:26 PM  #15

What about center portion of bad flywheel or flexplate with a small doughnut tacked on?

It has to be slightly smaller correct?

Last edited by Nos681 (12/10/2022 9:31 PM)

12/10/2022 10:03 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

What about center portion of bad flywheel or flexplate with a small doughnut tacked on?

It has to be slightly smaller correct?

A flexplate should work, no modifications required BUT might be hard to see the sleeve well enough to confirm it’s going on straight. Cut one apart and you have a ready made tool.

12/12/2022 10:26 AM  #17

Great Video!

12/12/2022 7:26 PM  #18

I have a couple of extra flexplates from Explorers.  I don’t know why it never occurred to me to use one for a tool.  I learn new stuff on this forum all the time!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.