FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2022 1:45 PM  #26

Re: Does anybody have the 24inch radiator write up Steve had on here saved

12/24/2022 9:50 AM  #27

RTM wrote:

What’s is the best brand radiator to go with? I’ve also read something about tube size and a 1” tube in a two core radiator will cool like a four core?

I went through this exercise about 2 years ago.  I settled on Dewitts for a combination of reasons and they are made in Michigan.  There was a price premium but I felt it was fair.  I wanted multi core, 2 fans, and shroud and this fit the bill. 

If you're looking for bang for your buck I can save you the time and tell you that you should go with Champion but they are made in China.  It doesn't seem they are any less reliable than others at this point.  With modern manufacturing, it's tough to screw up an aluminum radiator.

I did a write up on my install.  It's on the the how-to section.

Last edited by TremendousWand (12/24/2022 10:05 AM)

12/24/2022 10:01 AM  #28

The only thing I don’t like about the 24” Champion I have is the square top tank.
The stamped tanks look much prettier, and the top clamps fit better.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/24/2022 10:21 AM  #29

Acp or cold case. Just like original. Paint the front of the core flat back as an aluminum radiator behind the grille looks almost as bad as those square top tanks on the cheaper radiators.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/24/2022 10:39 AM  #30

MS wrote:

Acp or cold case. Just like original. Paint the front of the core flat back as an aluminum radiator behind the grille looks almost as bad as those square top tanks on the cheaper radiators.

It looks like this is the better option when mounting it like a stock 70 radiator.   I do like the idea of the front being black.  I found the ACP on Amazon and may order it this weekend. 

I did a little reading and looked at the top bracket I bought. I jumped the gun when I saw it was SS and yesterday I noticed it’s for 67-68 models.  I think I just need to make some sort of stand off spacer and can make it work.   

I’m also confused on the lower 70 bracket. NPD has three different listings.  I think I’ll buy the lower grommets and fabricate the lower brackets.  I would have to modify the stock lower brackets anyways.  Plus I don’t have the lower front cross braces but instead I have my own cross brace I made for the MII front end.

12/24/2022 10:43 AM  #31

I did this mod per MS instructions.  Purchased the ACP, non-alum radiator and all other associated parts from CJP.  No issues, rad seems to be a quality product....

12/24/2022 10:56 AM  #32

Here’s the spec sheet for the ACP 24” radiator.
It’s listed in RTM’s link at bottom of page.

12/24/2022 11:09 AM  #33

Finally found it.

12/24/2022 2:49 PM  #34

Nos681 wrote:

Finally found it.

Awesome.  Thank you for posting these pics.

12/26/2022 6:08 PM  #35

The 67-68 upper bracket is the correct one to use when pitting the 67-70 24” radiator in a 65-66.

Fabricating the lowers is easy and they do not show. Mount them as far inboard as the radiator tank thinner area allows and that will keep the radiator from being able to move sideways. 

Round corner Optima battery is recommended. Otherwise you can’t get the battery in/out without loosening the radiator mounts and sliding the radiator towards the driver side.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/26/2022 7:22 PM  #36

MS wrote:

The 67-68 upper bracket is the correct one to use when pitting the 67-70 24” radiator in a 65-66.

Fabricating the lowers is easy and they do not show. Mount them as far inboard as the radiator tank thinner area allows and that will keep the radiator from being able to move sideways.

Round corner Optima battery is recommended. Otherwise you can’t get the battery in/out without loosening the radiator mounts and sliding the radiator towards the driver side.

I ordered the upper bracket from Summit it  is a Scott Drake it is good high quality though does not come with rubber insulators and the bolts or U-nuts. 

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (12/26/2022 7:33 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/27/2022 3:59 PM  #37

Rudi wrote:

The only thing I don’t like about the 24” Champion I have is the square top tank.
The stamped tanks look much prettier, and the top clamps fit better.

Likewise, I have the 24" Champion two row and agree that the square top tank doesn't look so good in the Mustang engine bay, but at $125, boy was it inexpensive!. I had the four row 24 inch Champion that developed a pinhole leak after about 15 years and then installed the two row Champion. If anyone wants a free Champion 24 inch four row with a pinhole leak, let me know. 

12/31/2022 1:48 PM  #38

I’m having a difficult time finding the lower and upper hoses that are for 302 with AC.  CJ Pony shows a hose set and it says it fits 302, 302 Boss and a 351W in a 1970 mustang. Nothing said about AC.

NPD has no mention of AC either.  NPD shows a lower and says it’s for 65-73 and the upper is for 65-70. 

I didn’t think this would be such a challenge.   Can anyone guide me in the right direction for hoses with the ACP radiator FM-ER207. I have the lower driver side water pump.

9/05/2023 9:15 PM  #39

Git er done Billy?

9/06/2023 4:21 AM  #40

Nos681 wrote:

Git er done Billy?

yes just waiting on the third member to get here from Quick Performance ordered it 7/7/2023 said it had a 8 week t
turnaround time. I think they gonna go over.

9/06/2023 9:02 AM  #41

It didn’t happen without pitchers.😜

9/06/2023 9:57 AM  #42

Nos681 wrote:

It didn’t happen without pitchers.😜

they on my phone its to hard to put them on here I cant ever remember how.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.