FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2023 7:56 PM  #1

Shelby barn find

Yeah, I told owner I want dibs. He said ok.
1970 Shelby GT350. 351C (car is an hold over from 69) auto, ram air, low miles. Runs rough-ish. Rust in rockers
It’ll likely get shined up and go to a fancy auction as is. Owner wants his 60 seconds of fame on camera negotiating the ‘reserve’.

Last edited by Prof (1/28/2023 7:58 PM)

1/28/2023 8:19 PM  #2

Re: Shelby barn find

I did not know they ever put clevelands in Shelby GT350. Sure it wasn’t swapped?

Glad you found it!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/28/2023 8:34 PM  #3

The center console seems to be missing something? What would have been mounted there?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/28/2023 9:37 PM  #4

Ron68 wrote:

The center console seems to be missing something? What would have been mounted there?

Cup holders, Ron.  Butt (TS&T) they hadn't been invented yet.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/28/2023 10:07 PM  #5

Nice

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/28/2023 10:44 PM  #6

Cool.  Very nice find.

1/29/2023 6:14 AM  #7

The guy I worked for owned a Shelby just like that one and it was even white.  It had a built Cleveland in it too.  It was a very radially built motor.  This guy had 19 Shelby's when I started working for him.  I worked under the table during the winter months when I would be laid off from construction work.

1/29/2023 9:17 AM  #8

The center consoles had two gauges in the front where a 69-70 ash tray would normally go. It was popular to swap the console top into non-Shelby cars. My 69 coupe has the gauges.   

Sshhhhhhhhh…

1/29/2023 9:32 AM  #9

I am no Shelby expert, but my historical knowledge of these cars (although admittedly lacking) and everything printed I can find, shows a 351w engine was original equipment in the 69-70 GT350.

I would bet BOTH the cars mentioned got engine swapped back in the 70’s, when a 351c was considered the latest, greatest thing. Kind of like all the misguided folks installing those impressive looking 305hp 98 cobra engines in their 65-70 Mustangs a few years ago.

1/29/2023 10:00 AM  #10

Looks like a great find.  Regarding the 351C vs W, I would suggest checking with the Shelby-American club, or Bob Perkins on whether or not, the Cleveland could be the original engine. 
Also, I believe the VIN number was stamped on the engine block somewhere.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/29/2023 10:42 AM  #11

I was just reading an article in Mustang Specs about the 1970 Shelby. Shelby no longer had an association with Ford for 1970. The article says that all the 1970 Shelby was left over 1969 cars that hadn't sold in 69. They supposedly even reissued vin numbers to make them 1970. Listed the engines as 351 Windsor.

1/29/2023 1:01 PM  #12

As MSteve would tell you (and any trader of firearms), "you buy the thing, not the story." 

But here goes: This is one of three Shelby's destined to be test mules. This VIN is the middle car of the three late-69/early 70 Shelby GT350s with 351C.
The VIN before it is the factory experimental fuel injection car, the VIN after it was a IRS build, destroyed during testing. This car: tests desert super cooling for a/c and with upgraded wiring package (best guess from extensive research). Click the SECOND HYPERLINK below to see its "sister" car.
[url]​https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/06/17/one-off-cleveland-powered-shelby-g-t-350-to-cross-the-block[/url]

Marti report confirms and the build sheet notes "test car/interior" status. 
Car has been sitting as you see it since 1996 (27 years). Oh my it needs work! Doubt I could get it for under $40K, which is market for a 70 Shelby small block, auto, air car-- WITHOUT the weird "test mule" story. 
Auction would probably double that--maybe $60-80K. Anyway, I'm good having dibs and first refusal when (IF!) the owner decides to sell instead of restore. 
(I'd drop in a stroked 351W and O/D tranny. If this is some important "time capsule" car that must be preserved, I'm not that interested.)
Paul

Last edited by Prof (1/29/2023 1:07 PM)

1/29/2023 1:35 PM  #13

As I recall you showing us one day .You have a 8 stack fuelie 351w  sitting in your garage. All you need is a transmission, and your set!

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

1/29/2023 3:22 PM  #14

Yuuuuup ! ! It's a rockin 8-stack injection. Polished! Oooooo
But how far do you go to mess up an original Shelby???  (MSteve, DO NOT answer that question!)

1/29/2023 3:41 PM  #15

Prof wrote:

Yuuuuup ! ! It's a rockin 8-stack injection. Polished! Oooooo
But how far do you go to mess up an original Shelby???  (MSteve, DO NOT answer that question!)

Hold my beer......

1/29/2023 3:51 PM  #16

There is a man in my little town that has a yellow 69 Shelby he bought it new as he came home from Vietnam.

1/30/2023 11:29 AM  #17

Interesting story on the cleveland, Prof.  Thanks for that info, I would sure like to investigate the car to see what they were doing with desert cooling. That should be interesting.

Cars are made to be driven.  I have never been able to successfully own a Shelby (had two of them) because I prefer them “My way”.  I just couldn't put up with all the Shelby experts telling me what was wrong with my car when it would run circles around their example, performance-wise.

But that 70 would be a good one to own. Since it is a test mule, you could certainly do it as you wanted it and test the hell out if it!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.