FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2023 11:19 PM  #1

May have to swap out my mufflers;......

OMG this car is so loud now....it was fairly quite with the 289 2 bbl......but this new engine seems to be over the top loud.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/11/2023 7:42 AM  #2

Re: May have to swap out my mufflers;......

How loud is it on the “Sally” scale? 😁

I had 2” full exhaust with tri-y’s and 2” turbos for many years.
This was with factory installed sound deadener…and some missing pieces on rear floorboard too.
It was fairly quiet.

Several years ago, a full exhaust system with Hooker full length headers and Summit 2-1/2” turbos.
At interstate speeds, interior conversation was limited to loud talking.

After Rockwall Bash, I had a set of 2-1/4” Magnaflow’s replace the Summit turbos.
Conversation and music (when chosen) is mucho besser.

Last 2 combos have the ACC sound deadener kit (interior/transition hump/gas tank) and the ACC mass backed interior carpet.
I still don’t have sound deadener applied to roof or “c” pillars/sail panels.All combos have been with true dual exhaust as well…no crossover (H or X).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/11/2023 8:06 AM)

2/11/2023 8:38 AM  #3

Nos681 wrote:

This was with factory installed sound deadener…and some missing pieces on rear floorboard too.
It was fairly quiet.

Several years ago, a full exhaust system with Hooker full length headers and Summit 2-1/2” turbos.

After Rockwall Bash, I had a set of 2-1/4” Magnaflow’s replace the Summit turbos.

Last 2 combos have the ACC sound deadener kit (interior/transition hump/gas tank) and the ACC mass backed interior carpet.
I still don’t have sound deadener applied to roof or “c” pillars/sail panels.All combos have been with true dual exhaust as well…no crossover (H or X).

Hope this helps.

gonna remove the H pipe and swap the new 40 series Flowmasters and go with some Magnaflow or something.

2/11/2023 9:21 AM  #4

Nos681 wrote:

It was fairly quiet.

Hope this helps.

Getten Older BUTT Smarter Dan?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/11/2023 10:26 AM  #5

I only have "one" word on the subject:  Walker QuietPower

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/11/2023 10:45 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I only have "one" word on the subject:  Walker QuietPower

I had 2 brand new ones they were long and 2 different muffler shops said they couldn't  do it...I believe yall about them but I aint sure how I would get them on.

2/11/2023 10:47 AM  #7

yall post some pics of exactly how the walkers set on your 65-66

2/11/2023 10:53 AM  #8

They may be simple; but, I favor Turbos.  Mine happen to be Thrush Turbos.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/11/2023 10:56 AM  #9

I need to see what inlet/outlet and pipe size I have  maybe walker makes a shorter muffler.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (2/11/2023 10:59 AM)

2/11/2023 12:30 PM  #10

I have Magnaflows on mine and I like them a lot. They are very mellow/quiet and idle and cruise but have a nice growl when you get on the throttle.

2/11/2023 12:38 PM  #11

I had a 2” system with ‘tubo’ mufflers.  Switched to a 2.5” system with Magnaflows.  I can say that I didn’t notice a sound difference between the two.  As there were previous posts regarding mufflers and noise level, I can the only difference my system is that I have turn down exhaust tips on both setups.  I’m not saying this decreases the sound, only that my experience if different from others.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/11/2023 3:00 PM  #12

Quicksilver wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

It was fairly quiet.

Hope this helps.

Getten Older BUTT Smarter Dan?

Naw… I’m still a dumb kid inside…ask my wife.🤣

2/11/2023 6:42 PM  #13

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

yall post some pics of exactly how the walkers set on your 65-66

Steve had already done this. Search Walker Quiet Flow... or don't.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/11/2023 7:57 PM  #14

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

BILLY sez....
gonna remove the H pipe and swap the new 40 series Flowmasters and go with some Magnaflow or something.

6sally6 flash..........!!!
I removed my X-pipe because it wasn't loud/healthy sounding enough!!
         "You remove dat pipe bow-ee and...... she gonna sound likea hot-rod!!"
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/11/2023 8:02 PM  #15

BILLY........do ya have 4-tube headers?
                  2 1/2" pipes?
                  tail pipes go to the rear bumper?
                  any sound dampening inside car?
Did the valves settle down?!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/11/2023 8:05 PM  #16

I have Walker Quiet Flows Billy and love em!
Also, how about a video of your rig running?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

2/11/2023 8:53 PM  #17

Quiet Power, Quiet Flow...whichever....they are made in various tube sizes and lengths. I went from a 2.5 to a 2" system with a plus/minus 17" Quiet Flow muffler.  I'll try to find the part # if Josh doesn't chime in here first...he's running the same ones.  No crossover, no drone, reasonably quiet  but then everything is to me.  Good note on the throttle.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/12/2023 12:33 AM  #18

Bullet Bob wrote:

Quiet Power, Quiet Flow...whichever....they are made in various tube sizes and lengths. I went from a 2.5 to a 2" system with a plus/minus 17" Quiet Flow muffler.  I'll try to find the part # if Josh doesn't chime in here first...he's running the same ones.  No crossover, no drone, reasonably quiet  but then everything is to me.  Good note on the throttle.

I had some of these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-21856

2/12/2023 7:26 AM  #19

Yes, those are too long for easy install in an early Mustang.  MS got 'em in there but it was a chore from what he said.  The ones I have are 2" in and out and the body is 16 or 16 1/2.  I get that number for you soon as I can.  They made a nice install and they sound good to me.  Not noisy but seem to let the engine breath and sound good when pushed a bit.

2/12/2023 12:09 PM  #20

Walker Quiet flows.  Nice sound with a hipo motor.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

2/12/2023 4:54 PM  #21

Bullet Bob wrote:

Part # 22430........purchased via Summit Racing.....

2/12/2023 6:52 PM  #22

josh-kebob wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

thanks I need to see how the pipes enter and exit  the current mufflers

2/12/2023 8:45 PM  #23

josh-kebob wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Also I am pretty sure I put 2.5 pipes

2/12/2023 9:41 PM  #24

Bunch-O-Girls !!!      (EEEeeewwww....too noisy        girl-please)
6sally6

2/14/2023 9:07 AM  #25

6sally6 wrote:

Bunch-O-Girls !!! (EEEeeewwww....too noisy girl-please)
6sally6

LOL

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.