FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2020 3:54 PM  #101

Re: The Phoenix Project

Here's my modified blasting cabinet and I am now running glass bead media together with water in it:

Here's what kind of surface it will produce on cast aluminum, this is obviously the side of this T5 Hurst shifter I've blasted:

And here's the other side:

A throttle body:

And the Ford logo in cast aluminum:

Another thing I've always wanted to do is zinc plating which actually is as easy as described in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PtnwtOR24

Bolt to the left is what I started with, second from the left is after wet blasting, next is after zinc plating and to the right is the result after zinc plating plus wet blasting it again to get a slightly polished surface.

3/14/2020 2:43 PM  #102

Nice shirt...

12/11/2021 1:44 PM  #103

Decided to retire the EEC IV - A9L - Quarterhorse combination I was planning on using and bought a modern engine management system called MAXXECU developed here in Sweden instead. Even if this looks like a wiring nightmare the benefits of a locally developed modern system are of course obvious:

Also replaced the front springs and shocks with coilover shocks, but I'll show pictures of that later.

12/11/2021 3:45 PM  #104

Glass beading leaves a much nicer finish than sandblasting. Looks good. Your workbench looks like a big plate of spaghetti!!! I had enough fun wiring in the Quick 4 transmission control when I installed the 4R70W, so I congratulate you on your efforts to wire in that EEC control system.
Have a Merry Christmas Hakan!
Will the New Year bring us all a completed Phoenix Project???

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/12/2021 7:24 AM  #105

The version of the MAXXECU I bought actually uses less input sensors than the EEC IV. It's of course much more "intelligent" as a few things have happened in the engine management area since the 1980s when the EEC IV was developed. Constantly updated tuning software etc. will hopefully make the use a little bit easier than what I would have had to go through with the EEC IV Quarterhorse combo.

The car will hopefully at least be running next year, but it will be missing interior, paint and a lot of other things. But as I mentioned before I think it might be a good idea to do some tests of all my homemade stuff before putting the final finish on it.

12/20/2021 4:29 PM  #106

Working on the wiring and made a new engine harness. Kind of hard to see, but that's the whole idea. The brown 19lbs injectors are there just as a mock up. My new upper front coilover shock brackets are waiting for a couple of M12 flange bolts I've ordered:

12/20/2021 4:43 PM  #107

Metric bolts? That's a felony where I'm from

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/21/2021 4:02 AM  #108

Bearing Bob wrote:

Metric bolts? That's a felony where I'm from

There's an exception in the Swedish legislation about gear head related activities that says that if the metric bolts are of the flange type, polished stainless and/or chrome plated they can be used in some cases.

12/22/2021 4:42 PM  #109

What ecu will you be using?
Mini or street?
Is it user friendly for tuning?
Noticed the 3 bar MAP.

12/23/2021 5:51 AM  #110

Some nice work going on here.

12/23/2021 6:23 AM  #111

Nos681 wrote:

What ecu will you be using?
Mini or street?
Is it user friendly for tuning?
Noticed the 3 bar MAP.

I bought the "Race" version https://www.maxxecu.com/products/race as it has 8 injector outputs and 8 ignition outputs and the possibility to run all cylinders sequential. Built in MAP and wideband O2 sensor support also sounds good. Most important was when looking at the map below though. I live where the red dot is and as you can see I'm surrounded by companies that are MaxxEcu dealers and/or tuners. I bought my ecu from the dealer/tuner "GZ Racing" closest to where I live and so far judging from one phone call and one email with questions about wiring their support seems very good. I haven't looked into the Mtune software https://www.maxxecu.com/mtune yet, but I'm planning on using some time over the upcoming holidays to go through the MaxxEcu Training Course available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-jQln3LUM

12/28/2022 5:18 PM  #112

Just some pictures showing the front coilover suspension I've been working on and the connectors I am going to use to connect the wiring through the firewall from the instrument panel to the engine bay. Not sure about the air filter placement yet...

12/29/2022 9:35 PM  #113

Was the welding table destroyed in the fire?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/30/2022 9:08 AM  #114

MS wrote:

Was the welding table destroyed in the fire?

Never had one, but it's on the list... just need a four times larger shop first. Unfortunately no room for that where we live now though.

1/16/2023 8:32 PM  #115

Making progress with the wiring. Ran in to some issues when evaluating the result from brazing in the bungs for the wideband lambda sensors and realized I had to modify the exhaust system downpipe and cross over pipe. The downpipe was too close to the passenger side motor mount and the cross over pipe was in contact with the sway bar, but it's been solved now and focus is back on the last of the wiring:

I took a picture of the connectors, printed it and made notes on it to keep track:

Reason I am using two wideband lambda sensors is that one is for the ECU and the other one is for the air/fuel gauge. Probably could have used the same, but both the ECU and the gauge came with one each.

3/04/2023 4:29 PM  #116

Made this cover:
As I thought the connectors to the wideband lambda sensors looked ugly and had to be hidden in some kind of way:

3/04/2023 4:39 PM  #117

I gotta be honest, every time I see an update on your car I am amazed at the craftmanship, BUT
I can't lie I get a little jealous.... I don't think mine will ever look that good🥺

Last edited by tweet66 (3/04/2023 4:40 PM)

3/11/2023 12:19 PM  #118

tweet66 wrote:

I gotta be honest, every time I see an update on your car I am amazed at the craftmanship, BUT
I can't lie I get a little jealous.... I don't think mine will ever look that good🥺

Many thanks tweet66!

They just gave me a strange look at the local hardware store when I asked them if they had any parts to make this happen and as usual I ended up with some DIY. To make it possible to connect both the oil pressure warning light and the mechanical oil pressure gauge I have I came up with this. I already used the usual oil pressure sender hole in the engine block for the oil feed to the turbocharger. Just have to braze it together now...

3/12/2023 2:07 PM  #119

Continued from the post above.
Added a bracket and put it together:

Decided to zinc plate it:
And polish it:
And test fitted it:

3/17/2023 12:04 PM  #120

You are going to mess around and make me learn how to "Boil Bolts" 

3/18/2023 10:43 AM  #121

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

You are going to mess around and make me learn how to "Boil Bolts" 

It's not very hard. But the recipe includes distilled water that has to be made out of snow that has fallen between the 59th and 60th parallel in northern Europe as that kind of snow has specific properties. Without that the stuff you are trying to plate won't be possible to polish. :-)

3/18/2023 1:46 PM  #122

I have a source.

4/04/2023 1:31 PM  #123

Wow. Just Wow. Just got a look at all of the progress that you have made on the Phoenix project, and the design and workmanship is beyond amazing. Hakan, you are a man of many talents! Your latest wiring pictures look very similar to the wiring on the latest 737 model aircraft I used to work on before I retired three years ago. And the exhaust/turbo charger plumbing looks very similar to the pneumatic systems on them also. I look forward very much to when the finished product will hit the road!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/06/2023 12:40 PM  #124

Ron68 wrote:

Wow. Just Wow. Just got a look at all of the progress that you have made on the Phoenix project, and the design and workmanship is beyond amazing. Hakan, you are a man of many talents! Your latest wiring pictures look very similar to the wiring on the latest 737 model aircraft I used to work on before I retired three years ago. And the exhaust/turbo charger plumbing looks very similar to the pneumatic systems on them also. I look forward very much to when the finished product will hit the road!

Many thanks Ron!
I've been retired myself now since March 1st and finally have no excuses for not getting things done to the '67 Mustang. Well, I did buy a 3D printer last week that I of course had to figure out how to use, make my own 3D drawings and other related stuff... I did the "mistake" a while ago to make my own holster for one of my Walthers and when the other guys in the local club saw it they of course asked if I could make more of them and for other models as well and that's where a 3D printer also comes in handy.

4/06/2023 2:54 PM  #125

Hakan wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Many thanks Ron!
I've been retired myself now since March 1st and finally have no excuses for not getting things done to the '67 Mustang. Well, I did buy a 3D printer last week that I of course had to figure out how to use, make my own 3D drawings and other related stuff... I did the "mistake" a while ago to make my own holster for one of my Walthers and when the other guys in the local club saw it they of course asked if I could make more of them and for other models as well and that's where a 3D printer also comes in handy.

I got hooked too! I always tell my wife that a 3D printer is a solution waiting for a problem I have a buddy with a machine shop so a lot of times I'll build the file, then 3D print it to verify fitment then send to him to CNC it. So cool what we can do nowadays in our garage!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.