FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2023 3:22 PM  #1

Got a new tool today

My back is getting too fragile to wrestle fully assembled engines while rotating them on the stand. This thing was cheaper than even one doctor visit…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/18/2023 4:02 PM  #2

Re: Got a new tool today

That’s really nice.  Would love to have one but wouldn’t use it enough to justify it.

3/18/2023 4:07 PM  #3

MS wrote:

My back is getting too fragile to wrestle fully assembled engines while rotating them on the stand. This thing was cheaper than even one doctor visit…

Yeah, Thursday night my longblock almost took me over with it. Where did you get it and how much?

3/18/2023 6:04 PM  #4

NICE

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/18/2023 6:16 PM  #5

Harbor Freight had it on sale under $300.  They charged only $6.95 shipping. I chose to let them deliver it rather than driving 15 miles to HF to pick it up.  Took about an hour to assemble it.

Unfortunately, the first engine to assemble is the 4.3L GM V6 going in my boat.  Once that gets done, I have four 5.0 Ford engines to build.   Then maybe I can get rid of my five other engine stands.

3/18/2023 7:29 PM  #6

I recall reading on some Ford forum that somebody had a genuine vintage Ford/Rotunda version of that rotating engine stand. That would be a cool addition to my shop!

3/20/2023 6:06 AM  #7

Texas! wrote:

I recall reading on some Ford forum that somebody had a genuine vintage Ford/Rotunda version of that rotating engine stand. That would be a cool addition to my shop!

I bet that Ford stand is made alot better!

3/20/2023 11:12 AM  #8

They are building a Harbor Freight about 15 miles from me....previously it was 45 miles away.

3/20/2023 11:30 AM  #9

Nice 

3/20/2023 2:49 PM  #10

Looks good, if you haven't already, check the welds ... and do so periodically. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/20/2023 5:32 PM  #11

Now if only they didn't make one with a motor and a remote control you would be really stile n!!!!

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

3/21/2023 4:25 AM  #12

Quicksilver wrote:

Now if only they didn't make one with a motor and a remote control you would be really stile n!!!!

Send it out to DAZE to add rollerbearings.

3/21/2023 8:08 AM  #13

Thats a great idea!

3/22/2023 1:33 PM  #14

I just made two articulated arms for my one engine stand and got good at centering to get balance. Spent the $300 on good KentuckyBourbon!

3/22/2023 1:46 PM  #15

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Quicksilver wrote:

Funny you say that... I made my own. This is one of my first youtube videos so the quality is not there but the concept is sound and easy to copy for those of you wanting to make one.
https://youtu.be/C7qOrofD4Hs

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/22/2023 3:26 PM  #16

The advantage of a worm gear over a sprocket drive is the worm gear locks in position automatically as the engine is rotated.  No matter where you quit cranking, the engine is locked in that position.

3/22/2023 3:37 PM  #17

MS wrote:

The advantage of a worm gear over a sprocket drive is the worm gear locks in position automatically as the engine is rotated. No matter where you quit cranking, the engine is locked in that position.

Excellent point!! When I did this upgrade I thought about getting a worm gear hand wench for just that reason but decided to stick with what I already had for cost savings, I didn't like where the handle would have been with the worm gear wench, and the ratchet mechanism on the wench I have also locks it if I let go of the handle.  By the time you figure in materials and time... especially time because the materials I already had, it's not like I saved a bunch over the one you got but the project was fun 😁 

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/22/2023 6:40 PM  #18

Nice. Enjoy your new toy. 👍

3/22/2023 7:43 PM  #19

I’d be out in the garage with a glass of gin in hand giving my engine a fair ride round and round.  Cool toy!

3/22/2023 8:07 PM  #20

DC wrote:

I just made two articulated arms for my one engine stand and got good at centering to get balance. Spent the $300 on good KentuckyBourbon!

Yeah, but after you drink the bourbon, we know where it winds up.  I will, on the other hand, still have my fancy new toy in use for many years!

3/23/2023 5:08 AM  #21

Well, thanks for the post MS.  I picked one of these up yesterday at HF.  Yes, I have two engines stands already.  The issue I had, and why I decided to pick this up, is I have to build a heavy engine shortly (6.0 Diesel, every ounce of 1,000lbs) and my other stands are not rated for that kind of weight.  One is a 3 point stand too, and I've had it try to keel over on me before.  Nothing I couldn't handle with a small block on it, but with that big Diesel on it I see things going south in a hurry.  This will end up being one of the more expensive engine's I've built, so the cost of the new stand fell under the category of "cheap insurance". 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (3/23/2023 6:56 AM)

3/23/2023 6:21 AM  #22

MS wrote:

DC wrote:

Yeah, but after you drink the bourbon, we know where it winds up. I will, on the other hand, still have my fancy new toy in use for many years!

Yeah, If I were building another engine stand, I would start with a worm gear set up, makes it real easy!!
But, I'll keep the Bourbon handy!
When I built my heavy duty engine stand I made it to be the big end of my Rotisserie, so a couple thousand pounds on it alone is no problem.

3/25/2023 11:54 AM  #23

How do you like it so far?   I was wondering in particular what you think of the adjustable floor stops.   Seems like they would be a bit annoying on the front legs.   There used to be plastic drip catches for the old design of a single bar, but with this style of four legs in a "mini" shop crane design, I'd probably want to lay a piece of cardboard on it.  Either way those would interfere with something laying flat.  I looked at the one Eastwood offers; it doesn't have those and has locking wheels instead.  Then I noticed this one has locking wheels too.    So, pros and cons?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/25/2023 12:04 PM  #24

Daze wrote:

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Quicksilver wrote:

Funny you say that... I made my own. This is one of my first youtube videos so the quality is not there but the concept is sound and easy to copy for those of you wanting to make one.
https://youtu.be/C7qOrofD4Hs

I watched your video a while back thinking what a great modification.   

My design idea is to use a front wheel drive axle hub, with the CV axle hub, with an air brake manual slack adjuster and s cam.    The slack adjusters are relatively cheap for the worm gear assembly.  But I never could find a cost effective s cam or an old used one to get the splined shaft.  Then like half the things I think up, kind of just decided it wasn't worth it.   Rethinking the whole rotating stand now because, it gets harder to flip these things every year! 

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/25/2023 12:51 PM  #25

Usage report. 
The locking wheels are a total joke.  Like any other caster from HF, they roll if you grease them, otherwise not.  The locks are a joke.
I also thought the rubber jacks would be in the way and also probably a joke.  However, they are quite useful and position the stand like it was BOLTED TO THE FLOOR (sorry, couldn’t resist.).  They work well but you have to grease the threads or they bind up.  I don’t really find the rubber jacks that necessary for a small block, but this is a 1500 pound capacity stand and, if a really heavy engine was on it, they might come in handy.
Rotating a fully dressed engine is so effortless, I don’t know how they do it.
The legs do fold to use less storage space.

All in all, no complaints except the large footprint.   I plan to shorten and re-angle the legs so it is not so wide.  I will never have a Detroit Diesel on it, so I will make it so it fits more normal size engines.

Note: Jegs sells a 1,000 pound version with same rotating head and more conventional base design, but it does not have the huge ballbearing on the big shaft like this one does, and it costs $25.00 more.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.