FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2023 6:04 PM  #76

Re: Chasing that 80+mph vibration

Just googled up  "dynos"  There is a dyno machine at a place called Maximum Velocity Motors in the city of Leon TX.??? It might be time to put your car on a dyno and locate the vibration. Be nice to see what kind of HP she puts out at the same time.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

1/06/2023 8:16 PM  #77

HudginJ3 wrote:

A friend of mine bought a new T5  series for his vett. The installation instructions says how to measure center line at the input shaft and to measure and shim the bell housing to the engine and the transmission. I never to know that nore did I do it

Interesting since Corvette has fixed position differential

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/06/2023 8:17 PM  #78

There is a dyno day/car show this weekend, if I can spare the time to go. In Cuero, Tx I think

1/07/2023 11:28 AM  #79

MS wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

A friend of mine bought a new T5  series for his vett. The installation instructions says how to measure center line at the input shaft and to measure and shim the bell housing to the engine and the transmission. I never to know that nore did I do it

I would guess that on the vett the differential would be the place that you start from since it is bolted solid and then measure every thing from it forward instead of to the rear?n

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/07/2023 11:29 AM  #80

MS wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

I would guess that on the vett the differential would be the place that you start from since it is bolted solid and then measure every thing from it forward instead of to the rear?n

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/07/2023 10:14 PM  #81

I don’t know why this never occurred to me before, but all the retrofit crossmembers for T5 and TKO transmissions utilize the early style ribber mount between the tranny and crossmember. The foxbody, where all those T5 trannys come from, uses a different style rubber mount.

I might build a new crossmember that utilizes the foxbody mount.  Maybe they have some magic designed in from Ford to help eliminate the vibes.

Wouldn’t hurt if the crossmember was rubber-mounted to the frame rails like the foxbody, as well. It seems like Ford made a huge effort in those cars to eliminate vibes. All that, and weighted dampners, etc.

1/07/2023 10:30 PM  #82

MS wrote:

I don’t know why this never occurred to me before, but all the retrofit crossmembers for T5 and TKO transmissions utilize the early style ribber mount between the tranny and crossmember. The foxbody, where all those T5 trannys come from, uses a different style rubber mount.

I might build a new crossmember that utilizes the foxbody mount. Maybe they have some magic designed in from Ford to help eliminate the vibes.

Wouldn’t hurt if the crossmember was rubber-mounted to the frame rails like the foxbody, as well. It seems like Ford made a huge effort in those cars to eliminate vibes. All that, and weighted dampners, etc.

Sounds good I want one already.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/08/2023 2:10 PM  #83

Might be something to that Steve.i had an oscillating vibration with the FMX and 4R70W.  Because I just had to have a shaker in the 69, I had to lower the motor and trans for the shaker to fit the hood. Part of the way I kept them at the same 2.5° angle as the the rear end pinion was to use a shorter and much harder polyurethane cushion on the trans crossmember. When I  installed the toploader and went back to a stock trans mount, no more vibration. I'd forgotten about using the stock trans crossmember and the vibration going away at the same time until just now.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/08/2023 4:18 PM  #84

Steve, I can't remember if it's ever been mentioned, but have you ever considered CV joints on the driveshaft?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/08/2023 5:08 PM  #85

Yes, I would love to have CV type joints, or a rubber connection like BMW and Mercedes use. Just never wanted to tear it apart to test it.
It just feels like something is in a bind.
My neighbor brought over his go-pro camera. We will attach it and go for a high speed test next week.

I think the real cure will be to install cruise control.

1/08/2023 5:44 PM  #86

Trying CV joints are a drop in the bucket of all the effort and money you've already spent on this. 
Good luck with the camera.

Last edited by 50vert (1/08/2023 5:47 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/08/2023 7:25 PM  #87

Is it possible to mount Trans to where it has a little movement kinda like those strut rods and not be so stiff....roller bearings in a rubber bushing .

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/08/2023 9:30 PM  #88

50vert wrote:

Trying CV joints are a drop in the bucket of all the effort and money you've already spent on this. 
Good luck with the camera.

Amen brother.

1/09/2023 9:29 AM  #89

I helped my neighbor disassemble the driveline of his M3 BMW last night for a clutch swap.  Getting some ideas of how the pros design a driveshaft and tranny mount

3/20/2023 9:26 PM  #90

Have you always had an exhaust crossover?

Was wondering if a flex exhaust connector as the H-pipe might have an effect on your vibration issue.
Basically it is one set of tubes hanging on an engine with a rotating assembly, with only motor mounts and the rear exhaust hangars.

Have any pictures of the BMW cross member?

Last edited by Nos681 (3/20/2023 9:27 PM)

3/20/2023 9:40 PM  #91

Is this it Steve?

3/21/2023 3:44 PM  #92

I think you need a new approach to trouble shooting this because this logical, methodological, scientific approach isn't working. Just keep accelerating until whatever it is does finally come apart....then it will have revealed itself to you in broken parts that you can fix/replace and once the offending item(s) has been replaced you won't have to worry about it again!

3/21/2023 7:13 PM  #93

Chaplin wrote:

I think you need a new approach to trouble shooting this because this logical, methodological, scientific approach isn't working. Just keep accelerating until whatever it is does finally come apart....then it will have revealed itself to you in broken parts that you can fix/replace and once the offending item(s) has been replaced you won't have to worry about it again!

Wow - that is some really hard core troubleshooting. Reminds me of an aircraft (A-3 Skywarrior) I worked on in the Navy. Had an intermittent condition where it would blow a fuse, but we couldn't figure out why or where the problem was. Got fed up one day and jammed my #2 Phillips screwdriver into the fuse socket. Looked for smoke. We found the short.....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/21/2023 9:33 PM  #94

Ron68 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

Wow - that is some really hard core troubleshooting. Reminds me of an aircraft (A-3 Skywarrior) I worked on in the Navy. Had an intermittent condition where it would blow a fuse, but we couldn't figure out why or where the problem was. Got fed up one day and jammed my #2 Phillips screwdriver into the fuse socket. Looked for smoke. We found the short.....

🤣🤣🤣

Simple solution to a complex problem.

3/22/2023 1:09 PM  #95

I have had great success with my Go pro camera tapped/wired/glued to something underneath the car to watch the vibe happen! I did have one that had the tail housing of the tranny bouncing around that ended up being a half broken mount that made the the thing more torsional than up and down since only one side failed.

3/22/2023 3:20 PM  #96

Ron68 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

We used to call this “Neanderthal Troubleshooting”, when investigated intermittent issues, worked quite well.   

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/22/2023 4:43 PM  #97

MS........I would think with your 'bad-back' you would kinda enjoy the vibration!
Since I really didn't notice metal-to-metal contact and such on my hot rod.....the gentle vibration is very soothing to me and passengers!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/22/2023 4:54 PM  #98

I keep my speed at 79 or below and the car is smooth as glass.
Might invest in a cruise control.

3/22/2023 5:01 PM  #99

Every time I see a new post on this subject I rush to see if the problem was found.  Lol

3/22/2023 5:35 PM  #100

RTM wrote:

Every time I see a new post on this subject I rush to see if the problem was found.  Lol

Hopefully someday

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.