FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2023 12:46 PM  #26

Re: Four point bar or not?

I run 315/60/15's on my truck on a 15x10 rim, it is a really big tire. I run ET Drag Radials which sacrifice treadwear for much better traction after a decent burnout. Would not recommend them in the rain though!

3/02/2023 5:51 AM  #27

Raymond_B wrote:

I run 315/60/15's on my truck on a 15x10 rim, it is a really big tire. I run ET Drag Radials which sacrifice treadwear for much better traction after a decent burnout. Would not recommend them in the rain though!

I do live in Florida and during the summer months we get sudden rain storms.  I don’t plan on driving in the rain but I may get caught in a rain storm.

Last edited by RTM (3/10/2023 1:02 PM)

3/03/2023 10:52 AM  #28

free pic upload site

A good model of what NHRA wants for safety and roll bar positioning. (I suppose)

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/03/2023 10:53 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/10/2023 1:04 PM  #29

Looks like I’ll go with Rhodes for my four point bar.  They have the rear bent bars, called pro street bars.  Now I’m thinking of adding the pro street door bars. 

url sign

3/13/2023 5:13 PM  #30

I pulled the trigger and ordered the 6 point bar from Rhodes.  It was a couple bucks more than Jegs.  I felt Rhodes had spent a lot of time answering my questions, so I went with them.  I did order the pro street door bars and rear bars that allow the rear seat to remain untouched. 

I went with the door bars because the wife actually liked them.  She said it looks tougher. She never offers input on anything I work on.  I can not deny her the one thing she suggested.  lol

I was going to make the cross bar removable.  With the door bars being added, access to the back seat would be almost impossible.  I did not want to make both the door bars and cross bar removable.  It will all be welded in solid.

The plan for now is to land the main hoop on the rear torque box, if the rear seat allows it.  If not it will be on the convertible inner rocker as well as the door bars.  They will land on the inner rocker as well.

3/17/2023 1:43 PM  #31

The Rhodes six point roll bar arrived today.  I also stopped by Harbor Freight and bought their tube notching tool.   Now if I can get the painting done I can work on the roll bar.

3/17/2023 3:32 PM  #32

Nice. Did your heart rate increase a bit when the roll bar arrived? Fun times.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/18/2023 6:14 AM  #33

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nice. Did your heart rate increase a bit when the roll bar arrived? Fun times.

Yep.  Thankfully the wife was home and the delivery driver was kind enough to put it all in the garage.

3/23/2023 6:59 PM  #34

I have gotten the door bars cut, notched for final fit.  The rear bars will take a little more planning so I mocked it up and walked away to think it over.  I also have two extra straight bars.  I think they sent me these two bars by accident.  I did not order any X bracing. I’m thinking they may be straight door bars or straight rear bars. 

The more I work on the roll bar and see what it’s starting to look like.  The more I’m happy with the direction I had chosen.   It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but was afraid to do it. 

3/23/2023 8:43 PM  #35

Good use of  1,2,3 blocks

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/24/2023 6:41 AM  #36

Rudi wrote:

Used them to layout my cut line so it would keep the bar parallel to the rocker too.

3/24/2023 10:53 AM  #37

Here’s a picture showing how the main hoop is actually slightly above the headliner bow rod.   Lowering the main hoop will also decrease the drop angle of the top part of the rear bar. 

3/24/2023 11:20 AM  #38

Are you planning on using 6x6" .⅛" thick base plates where the tubes mount to the body? It spreads the forces if the roll bar is put to use. NHRA & SCCA requires them.

3/24/2023 11:24 AM  #39

Rudi wrote:

Is there a bad use for them?

3/24/2023 12:20 PM  #40

Bearing Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I’ve used my 1x2x3 blocks for everything.   I even have the ones I made when I was in school.   Even have my small vise I machined. 

The only place I can use the plates will be on the rear bars to the trunk floor.  The other points of contact are on top of the convertible inner rocker.  The main hoop will need a small platform made because part of the bar isn’t on the inner rocker.  This box will also tie into the rear torque box.  Pretty sure the points of contact will be far stronger than a plate over a sheet metal floor.

3/24/2023 3:12 PM  #41

Bearing Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

That is a great looking round cast iron  thingee and brake pad actuating devise, who is the maker?

3/24/2023 4:24 PM  #42

Rotor is a 13" 2001 Mustang Cobra, caliper is 2014 Mustang GT Brembo 4 piston.

3/25/2023 2:44 PM  #43

This is what Bearing Bob has for door bar front mount….used with permission.

3/25/2023 7:29 PM  #44

Nos681 wrote:

This is what Bearing Bob has for door bar front mount….used with permission.

And Bob's getting a little tired of having to slide his feet around that thang.

3/25/2023 7:38 PM  #45

My size 14’s would cause entry issues as well.

3/26/2023 4:49 AM  #46

Rudi wrote:

My size 14’s would cause entry issues as well.

Do they even fit under the dash?  Lol

3/26/2023 8:51 AM  #47

There have been many long trips in my stocking feet till I found a place that sold size 14 Puma driving shoes.
They are similar to the ones F1 racing shoes ,low cut and have a rounded heel and very light.

3/26/2023 5:04 PM  #48

Rudi wrote:

There have been many long trips in my stocking feet till I found a place that sold size 14 Puma driving shoes.
They are similar to the ones F1 racing shoes ,low cut and have a rounded heel and very light.

My father wore a 14 or 16, can’t remember now.  He was 6-2 as well and a big bone guy.  I got my mothers genes.  Only 5-8 at 170.  Only issue I have with shoe sizes is the width.   I think I would trip over my self if I wore a size 14.  Lol

3/26/2023 5:25 PM  #49

I'd take 5-8 170 in a heart beat.

4/23/2023 4:42 PM  #50

Took all day today to fit the rear bars.  Yesterday I got the lower boxed cut and tacked in for the main hoop.   The complete bar is cut and fitted.  The rear bars have a compound notch.   I almost nailed the angle with my tubing notcher but sadly I had to finish it by hand.   Then I traced the notches on cardboard from a cereal box, inverted it to transfer the compound angles to the other rear bar.
   Very happy with the choice I made.  Next is step is to sand the bars, weld them all in and prime it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.