FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2023 10:19 PM  #1

Hose Clamps

Looking for a new solution(more attractive) to a worm drive hose clamp. I think the worm drive clamp is ugly, damages the hose and usually has a tail out the back of unused stuff(threads?). I looked at T-bolt clamps and their range was very small and never matched the hose I was trying to clamp. I like the way they would look with the T-bolt section underneath, just seeing the smooth metal on top. I have a 5/8" heater hose that measures .9100" od. I looked at the wire clamps and they look better but am thinking they would damage the hose too.
What are you all using on your heater hoses?

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/29/2023 4:57 AM  #2

Re: Hose Clamps

All stainless worm drive hose clamps is what I use.  If there is a tail you can simply cut it off and dress the sharp edge.  You could use spring lock clamps if you can find them in the right size.  That's what most OEM hose clamps are.  They get removed and tossed in the trash by mechanics who don't want to mess with them.  I find if you have the right tool they aren't that big a deal to take on and off. 

3/29/2023 8:07 AM  #3

You may want to consider Gates “Power Grip Clamps”; it is a heat shrink tubing. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/29/2023 8:14 AM  #4

BobE wrote:

You may want to consider Gates “Power Grip Clamps”; it is a heat shrink tubing. 

I ran across those a while back.  Never knew they existed.  Anyone have fist hand experience using them?

3/29/2023 10:37 AM  #5

Check out “Earls” hose clamps from Speedway Motors, they have  worm clamps but are enclosed in an aluminum cover, various colours as well.
I use mostly t bolt clamps but they aren’t made in the small heater hose size, afaik.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/29/2023 10:44 AM  #6

I use the Gates power grip clamps on all hot hose connections. Simple installation: place over hose, hit with a heat gun, start the car, turn on the heater and let car reach full operating temperature. 

I was initially concerned because the lower radiator hose leaked a little until the car reached full operating temperature, then no more leaks.

Last edited by boss347convertible (3/29/2023 10:45 AM)

3/29/2023 11:04 AM  #7

The Patent was issued in 1992. So they have been around for a while. I looked at the Gates size chart and they have the size I need. Amazon has that size for $4.06 each.

3/29/2023 11:08 AM  #8

Man I've agonized over hose clamps a bit too much. Like you I hate the worm drive clamps the heat shrink Gates is an awesome idea, but I do not like the single use aspect. So I decided on these Gates "constant tension" clamps https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/hose-clamps-and-couplings.p.7408-000000-000002.html

Bad thing is I could only find them in box quantity and the smaller ones are pretty bulky. I've also had a look at McMaster Carr as they have all sorts of clamps, again though they want you to buy box quantity.

3/29/2023 12:03 PM  #9

I also used the heat shrink hose clamps. I got mine from an Electrical Supply House near me. They had all sizes and cut to your length. I used them 'in addition to' rubber cement glue (because I'm anal maybe) They worked great....no leaks.
I chickened out and put hose clamps over them because I was skeered I might have problems on long road trips.
Call be a weeny...butt they really did the job.
When I replaced the hoses years later I had to CUT the hose off it was adhered so well.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/29/2023 4:27 PM  #10

There are lots of versions of DIY wire clamp videos on YouTube.  Have you ever looked at any of these?  If so, what are your thoughts?  The video below is just an example I just pulled from YouTube.  It is interesting but I think there are better tools available.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/29/2023 7:32 PM  #11

Rufus68 wrote:

There are lots of versions of DIY wire clamp videos on YouTube.  Have you ever looked at any of these?  If so, what are your thoughts?  The video below is just an example I just pulled from YouTube.  It is interesting but I think there are better tools available.

I've got a different style of one of those wire clamps Rufus. I've used it a few times without issue, but prefer to use the worm drive clamp.

Norma is a German made clamp that offers several types of house clamps. They don't cut into hose, and have a higher strength than most others. They are available on Amazon.

https://www.normagroup.com/norma/en/home/

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/29/2023 8:16 PM  #12

I like the Ford original clamps, but the current reproduction available are a joke, prone to failure when torqued.

I would not find shrink type clamps very practical, as they do get removed and replaced over the years a lot more than you would think.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/29/2023 8:56 PM  #13

After a bit of searching I found some stainless steel “ T “ bolt clamps that are heater hose size I think I will order some.
They have a good selection of sizes starting at  .670” to .750”

3/29/2023 9:38 PM  #14

Rudi wrote:

After a bit of searching I found some stainless steel “ T “ bolt clamps that are heater hose size I think I will order some.
They have a good selection of sizes starting at .670” to .750”

My raw heater hose measures .900". I bought some t-bolt clamps but the adjusting range is very small. They would not work. I was not able to find an adjustment range that worked for me.

Last edited by KeithP (3/29/2023 9:49 PM)

3/30/2023 9:03 AM  #15

I vote on Norma Torro clamps also.
Like BB says..they are very well made, wont cut into the hose when tightened and last forever.
A little on the expensive side, but in this case you do get what you pay for.

3/30/2023 9:35 AM  #16

For your time wasting, viewing pleasure:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/30/2023 12:53 PM  #17

After watching that I changed my mind on the t bolt clamps.

3/30/2023 12:55 PM  #18

Rufus68 wrote:

For your time wasting, viewing pleasure:

Very interesting video. The Breeze clamps held up very well, as they are ones that I have used in many aviation applications over the years. They were used mainly in non pressurized ducting, such as cooling or heating air ducts and not in fluid pressure applications.

Last edited by Ron68 (3/30/2023 12:57 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/30/2023 2:08 PM  #19

I went to this website to see what was available: https://www.hoseclampkings.com/

3/31/2023 11:52 AM  #20

Very good video presentation.  I would say that for automotive coolant, and even EFI, hose applications any of these clamps would work just fine.  The worst performing clamp started leaking at like 250psi, which well above the pressure the coolant and EFI would be subjected.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/31/2023 5:05 PM  #21

When you get to high pressure clamps aren't going to get it anymore.  By that point everything has threaded fittings and some kind of seal using Teflon, Viton, or some kind of rubber.  The high pressure oil system in the 6.0 Powerstroke runs pressures from 500-3,500psi.  No hoses or clamps in sight. 

3/31/2023 9:39 PM  #22

Interesting points though I took his post to refer to the needs of our Mustangs so his remarks work.

4/01/2023 5:33 AM  #23

Well of course.  A cooling system operates at somewhere between 13 and 22 psi.  You could probably use a wide zip tie at pressure that low and it would work.  Even the fuel system, I've never seen an EFI system operate at system pressure over 100psi, and most of them are in the 40-60psi range.  Most any clamp is going to be sufficient for such needs, so it comes down to cost and aesthetics. 

4/01/2023 10:16 PM  #24

I ended up buying these clamps. Yes, the clamp on the right!

4/02/2023 2:51 PM  #25

I like those, also FYI I found a seller on eBay who sells them 2 at a time and as far as I can see is around .50 cents to a buck cheaper per clamp.

https://www.ebay.com/str/tyrodsautoparts

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.