FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2023 1:40 PM  #1

Who is running a sniper EFI or other TBI type setup?

I am wondering what manifold you are using.  My build is the type that you would normally put a dual plane intake on BUT I have gotten mixed reviews of the effectiveness with TBI.  I was thinking Edelbrock RPM performer but would love other opinions from those actually running a TBI setup.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/20/2023 2:25 PM  #2

Re: Who is running a sniper EFI or other TBI type setup?

Most every EFI intake I've ever seen is single plane.  I ran a couple different TBI setups on my K5 Blazer.  The stock setup was batch fire (also called bank to bank) where one injector fired, then the other.  I believe the stock intake was dual plane, but considering how the system worked that makes sense.

In a system where the injectors are all spraying at the same time I wold use a single plane.  If you did opt to use a dual plane make sure it has some of the plenum divider milled down (at least 1") or run at least a 1" carb spacer (might be hard with hood clearance being what it is in a Mustang). 

4/20/2023 2:45 PM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

might be hard with hood clearance being what it is in a Mustang

Thanks for the input.  I wish it was Mustang hood clerence.  Its the 393W in the Galaxie and the hood clerence is even worse.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/20/2023 3:35 PM  #4

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/intake-manifold-single-double-plane/

The above article from MotorTrend is an interesting read.
Basically, what I understood is that a single plane intake manifold suffers at low speed for adjacent firing cylinders with the second cylinder being robbed of fuel from the first cylinder due to low vacuum signal.  This issue goes away with higher engine speeds.  Also, since EFI does not depend on the vacuum signal, it does not have as big of a low speed issue with adjacent firing cylinders.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/20/2023 4:54 PM  #5

I don’t have throttle body injection…I have had factory CFI (84 Cougar) and TBI (95 Z71).

Most of my driving was well below 6000 rpms.

One of the things I noticed is the location of the fuel injector(s) in relation to the throttle blades.  Basically mimicking the carburetor spray location.

For a low rpm engine that may spin up occasionally for fun, I would go for a dual plane and as suggested a spacer or divider wall milled down.

Another option I looked at is to modify an existing dual plane into an open single plane(ish).  It wont be a true dual or single.  By doing this, you would have the smaller runners for low speed and have the open plenum where the fuel is sprayed and distributed.

You are still carrying fuel down each leg to the cylinders like a carb.

All of the single plane intakes for 351w are tall for high rpm use…at least what I have seen…unless some expensive custom made piece.

Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM (non air gap…RPM air gap is taller) will fit under stock Mustang hood according to Edelbrock installation instructions.

Just fuel for thought.

4/20/2023 5:09 PM  #6

Thanks for all the input.  Lets look at this another way.  Hood clearence is at a premium so a spacer is not an option so should I get the torker 2 and loose some low end torque but know it will work well for the EFI or go with the performer and mill out part of the divider?

4/20/2023 7:07 PM  #7

That MotorTrend article seemed to indicate that the loss of low end torque is small with EFI because it doesn't depend on a vacuum signal for fuel delivery.  So I think either choice would work.  The first manifold would not require any modification though.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/20/2023 8:56 PM  #8

I would use the single plane.  Another thing not mentioned is that dual plane intakes tend to have longer runners.  This is one of the reasons the EFI engines like the 5.0 and TPIs were so torquey down low.  It hurt them at higher RPM though.  I think you have enough low end grunt from that engine, so I don't think you really need the longer runners. 

4/20/2023 9:07 PM  #9

The Blueprint Engine I have on order with the Sniper EFI states it has a 'dual plane' intake.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/21/2023 6:48 AM  #10

I’m no expert on this subject and what little I have read is the the single plane is best. I think having a single plane intake that isn’t that tall will be better that a short dual intake.  I think a short dual causes poor map single but don’t quote me on that.  It’s been a while since I’ve read up on this when I was trying to decide on carb or EFI for my current build.  It’s carb.  Lol

4/21/2023 9:05 AM  #11

I’m in the process of switching to EFI (Holley/MSD “Atomic 2”, when it finally becomes available!).  I plan to use my existing Edelbrock “RPM Performer” intake, 351W.
Hood clearance is tight with the existing Holley 600CFM carb, I’m using a phenolic ½” spacer (4-hole).  The Atomic 2 throttle body is nearly the same height as the Holley, so I’m not expecting that issue change much.
I will update when the installation is completed.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/21/2023 11:01 AM  #12

Personally I think you'd sacrifice more performance on fuel delivery (even with milling) than you will on low RPM TQ with a single plane. I mean with street tires sometimes it's better to not have all that torque immediately anyway. Plus a quick tire or gear change could alleviate any perceived issues.

4/21/2023 1:50 PM  #13

On my 65 with a 298 Im using the Performer with Holley EFI and a stock air cleaner, I didnt think there was room for the RPM and I wanted as much low end torq as I can get with my 2;80 tall gears. From everything I have read single plane gives you top end torq and dual plane gives you low end torq. I run in the 25-3200 RPM  range

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/21/2023 1:54 PM  #14

RTM wrote:

I’m no expert on this subject and what little I have read is the the single plane is best. I think having a single plane intake that isn’t that tall will be better that a short dual intake. I think a short dual causes poor map single but don’t quote me on that. It’s been a while since I’ve read up on this when I was trying to decide on carb or EFI for my current build. It’s carb. Lol

I havent seen any out of range readings with my dual plane. After all Holley said it will work on anything. My 289 is 60 over, 9.5/1 with a 430 lift 108 LSA cam. Runs great on pump regular all day and 18mpg

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/21/2023 2:32 PM  #15

I'm running a Performer 351 w/Fitech EFI and Control Center. No spacer and 2" air filter. that's all I can fit under the hood.  I don't know about which manifold is better, but I get great response and hot/cold startup are perfect.  Much better than the carbs I have used in the past.  It pulls from 1200 RPM just fine.  No way a single plane manifold will fit under there.

And, thanks for getting me off my butt and look around the engine.  I noticed signs of age hardening on some of the rubber connections. I need to get new ones.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/21/2023 3:13 PM  #16

Cab4word67 wrote:

From everything I have read single plane gives you top end torque and dual plane gives you low end torque. I run in the 25-3200 RPM  range

That is 100% correct and why I would prefer to use a dual plane manifold, however there has been lots of reports of issues getting the TBI to function properly on a dual plane, without a spacer, even if the O2 sensor is giving good readings.  The problem is that it is an average across cylinders.  In reality often times some are a little rich and some are a little lean and the single plane manifold should help reduce that issue.  Thats exactly why I made this post because what I "should do" is different from what I "want to do" and I was looking for real world results before making a final decision.

4/21/2023 4:18 PM  #17

Can you run O2 sensor for each side?

I forgot about the Torquer II…perhaps lower the 4150 base as needed?

Last edited by Nos681 (4/21/2023 4:25 PM)

4/21/2023 7:15 PM  #18

Daze I am running Blueprint engines 306 with Sniper EFI, 6EFI, Edelbrock performer rpm, dual sync dist. and have seen no negative issues that others have had. I have very little seat time as the car is still not road worthy but it has run flawlessly so far. 

4/21/2023 7:16 PM  #19

Even with an O2 in each bank you're still only getting an average.  Possibly a slightly better average, but an average nonetheless.  In the end, TBIs have a lot of the same issues as carbs in terms of mixture distribution, etc.  Its why everything went to port EFI.  Give it another 20 years and everything will be direct injected like a Diesel. 

Compared to a carb, with TBI you get better fueling across a range of conditions because it can self adjust.  You get better mileage across those conditions.  You get better cold starts and don't wash the cylinder walls down as much with raw fuel.  They never need to be tuned or adjusted beyond initial calibration.  They are still pretty simple and therefore reliable. 

4/21/2023 7:19 PM  #20

4/21/2023 9:56 PM  #21

TKOPerformance wrote:

Even with an O2 in each bank you're still only getting an average.  Possibly a slightly better average, but an average nonetheless.  In the end, TBIs have a lot of the same issues as carbs in terms of mixture distribution, etc.  Its why everything went to port EFI.  Give it another 20 years and everything will be direct injected like a Diesel. 

Compared to a carb, with TBI you get better fueling across a range of conditions because it can self adjust.  You get better mileage across those conditions.  You get better cold starts and don't wash the cylinder walls down as much with raw fuel.  They never need to be tuned or adjusted beyond initial calibration.  They are still pretty simple and therefore reliable. 

I agree the TBI is much like a carb only it is opening all 4 all the time mixing fuel much better for the ports than a carb that could run lean on the back 4 while on low settings. I dont see the benefit of the spacer as it seams it would just be making it into a single plan. I have so much more throttle response with my sinper then I did with my eldie carb that was also new and dialed in.
As for the O2 sensor, one is enough as most dont even have 1 with a carb and its for the tuning that the EFI does on its own. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (4/21/2023 9:59 PM)

4/21/2023 10:19 PM  #22

On the O2 sensor thing, two O2s would verify if you had any bank to bank imbalance.  BUTT™ there's really no way to tune that so it's kind of a moot point. @Daze isn't your TBI custom? You're running 2 injectors right?

I should also add, pretty sure nobody is arguing single plane vs dual plane for RPM operation and low speed torque. The kicker in this discussion is fuel delivery and how it is affected by the manifold with the way the TBI is made. I think everyone knows that, but I just wanted to make it clear

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/21/2023 10:23 PM)

4/21/2023 10:31 PM  #23

Cab4word67 wrote:

As for the O2 sensor, one is enough as most don't even have 1 with a carb and its for the tuning that the EFI does on its own. 

The problem that we are talking about regarding o2 sensors is it is an average.  It is reading 4 cylinders and adjusting accordingly,  but if one is very lean and one is very rich the EFI thinks everything is okay but the cylinders are still out of wack.  That is what I am trying to avoid and the reason open plenum is recommended. Two O2 sensors might get a better read one on each side.  If you watch any dyno testing shows like engine masters where they put an o2 sensor in each header pipe you can see the disparity.

4/21/2023 11:29 PM  #24

Raymond_B wrote:

@Daze isn't your TBI custom? You're running 2 injectors right?

That was my custom EFI setup but it does not have enough air flow for the 393 only being a two barrel.  I am likely going to go with the sniper stealth and the basic sniper is kind of ugly IMHO.  This entire project took a shift when I made it a 393.  When it was just a freshened up 351W (not a full rebuild) I was going to go multiport injection with my 5.0 upper and truck lower setup.  Now that I am doing a complete rebuild, stroking this motor, using the better heads AND a better cam the 5.0 upper would be like trying to breath through a straw so I have shifted to a carb manifold and TBI due to the hood issues and not wanting to spend $1500 on an intake.

Raymond_B wrote:

I should also add, pretty sure nobody is arguing single plane vs dual plane for RPM operation and low speed torque. The kicker in this discussion is fuel delivery and how it is affected by the manifold with the way the TBI is made. I think everyone knows that, but I just wanted to make it clear

Exactly!! thanks for pointing that out because I think for some that was not as clear.

4/22/2023 4:56 AM  #25

Daze wrote:

Cab4word67 wrote:

As for the O2 sensor, one is enough as most don't even have 1 with a carb and its for the tuning that the EFI does on its own. 

The problem that we are talking about regarding o2 sensors is it is an average.  It is reading 4 cylinders and adjusting accordingly,  but if one is very lean and one is very rich the EFI thinks everything is okay but the cylinders are still out of wack.  That is what I am trying to avoid and the reason open plenum is recommended. Two O2 sensors might get a better read one on each side.  If you watch any dyno testing shows like engine masters where they put an o2 sensor in each header pipe you can see the disparity.

The issue with fuel distribution isn't so much single vs. dual plane, because you still have a runner length disparity.  The carb or TBI is located in the center of the manifold, so the runners to the center cylinders are shorter than to the cylinders on the ends.  It may not seem like much, but the issue is that the air and fuel is properly mixed right under the carb or TBI.  The farther the mixture has to travel the more likely that the fuel falls out of suspension.  Atomized fuel burns completely and efficiently.  Liquid fuel doesn't.  This is why port EFI was such an upgrade from TBI.  The runner length disparity has been more or less eliminated and its spraying fuel directly into the intake port at the back of the intake valve.  There may still be some port to port variation due to other factors (good port systems often have a fuel trim feature where you can adjust cylinders individually), but overall the variation is greatly reduced.  This is also why the next step is to go away from port and go to direct injection, which some gas engines already use. 

On a dyno technically those aren't O2 sensors they're pyro probes.  O2s are measuring resistance change relative to temperature.  Pyros are just reading temperature directly.  Pyros are cheaper than O2s and use a smaller bung, while still being very accurate.  The output is the same though, mixture determined by exhaust gas temperature. 

All kind of academic, but the point is that the runner length difference is typically less (shorter runners) and the flow runner to runner more balanced in a single plane.  With a TBI the closer you can get the TBI to the ports the closer it is to port EFI. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.