FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2023 9:20 PM  #1

Went to a classic car show today

What is this world coming to? 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2023 5:25 AM  #2

Re: Went to a classic car show today

I admire the work but it’s not for me.

4/30/2023 5:31 AM  #3

I think its awesome!  I bet it hauls a$$ for a short distance.   Exceptional thinking and adaptation.   Notice the Mustang took bag!  Lol.   Probably the smartest choice of a platform to do it.
I wonder what its specs are.   

Great car, but not for me.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/30/2023 6:12 AM  #4

Yawn.  Done, and done to death.  What's the matter, no one knows how to adapt a hydrogen fuel cell to a classic?

4/30/2023 6:18 AM  #5

TKOPerformance wrote:

Yawn.  Done, and done to death.  What's the matter, no one knows how to adapt a hydrogen fuel cell to a classic?

Agreed!  And if I ever have to consider an electric, I hope it can be fuel cell powered.  I see Toyota has released a "drop in" for semi's. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/30/2023 8:07 AM  #6

VW = Voltage Wagon

4/30/2023 8:37 AM  #7

Such a clean looking car too. Don't think it would do much more than a quick trig around town.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/30/2023 8:41 AM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

VW = Voltage Wagon

Lol

4/30/2023 10:22 AM  #9

I did the research on it, it's professional built.  A company called Flash drive motors outside Austin, Texas.  Very interesting company.  Those guys build and restore a bit of everything.  And to make this post Mustangs related, they have Mustangs!    The beetle was name Beetlejoost, and it has a range of 140 miles.   I know its easy to hate on, and I'm not saying I'd ever want one, but anyways, y'all ought to look at their website. 

https://flashdrivemotors.com/restoration-work/

https://flashdrivemotors.com/gallery/

Last edited by Greg B (4/30/2023 10:26 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/30/2023 12:05 PM  #10

I'm too old to change. I am a dinosaur. My motto is "Resist change at all costs!" And I am simply not interested in any electric powered vehicles, regardless of the design, workmanship, etc. Just not for me. My only experience with electric vehicles was at work. Baggage tugs, pushback tugs and small electric carts. Whenever the damned things would stop working, we always had the old reliable gas or diesel powered rigs to tow them out of the way or back to the hangar to recharge or repair.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/30/2023 6:59 PM  #11

I hope there are charging stations in the jungles & deserts because the US military is going all electric in OUR life time.
Brilliant .........
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/30/2023 7:06 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

I hope there are charging stations in the jungles & deserts because the US military is going all electric in OUR life time.
Brilliant .........
6sally6

Actually...that may help.  I would suspect that could force more $$$ being fed into hydrogen research which will find it's way into the private sector.  I don't have a big problem with electric drive train.  It's the power source (batteries) that I think is stupid.  Hydrogen JUST may be the answer, maybe. 

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/30/2023 7:07 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/01/2023 5:07 AM  #13

Hydrogen is the answer without a doubt.  Batteries may be okay for cars, but they will simply never be good enough to replace Diesel.  The only thing which has a prayer of that is hydrogen.  Think about cargo ships.  They could literally create their own fuel as they move through the water.

5/02/2023 4:30 PM  #14

Some reading I did on hydrogen says the technology is there for it to work.  The problem holding it up from widespread use is a reliable connection when fueling the vehicle. They haven’t quite gotten that figured out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/02/2023 5:04 PM  #15

My old company is partnering with ZeroAvia to develop a modified electric powered passenger aircraft fueled by hydrogen using a retired Alaska aircraft.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/alaska-airlines-and-zeroavia-developing-worlds-largest-zero-emission-aircraft-301812349.html

there ya go - electric and hydrogen powered stuff..........

5/03/2023 5:06 AM  #16

The real issue with hydrogen is that it cuts into the bottom line of people like Elon Musk.  Its also not going to benefit China, as we have plenty of water and can make our own hydrogen here.  EVs use lithium which comes in large part from China.  This is what happens when they play politics with technology.  The few benefit enormously at the expense of the many. 

5/03/2023 3:54 PM  #17

What I would really like to see in a classic Mustang is a Merlin v12, like The Beast over in the UK; 1972 custom built around a Spitfire engine.

5/04/2023 5:01 AM  #18

I've always been partial to the Allison V1710 myself.  In the US, contrary to popular belief, they never used actual Rolls Royce Merlin engines.  RR couldn't meet the production demands of US aircraft production, and the transportation risk and logistics precluded it anyway.  Therefore, US aircraft with the "Merlin" actually used a Packard V-1650, which was basically a Merlin built under contract.  However, Packard streamlined the design a bit, having extensive experience building V12 aircraft engines since the Liberator in WWI.  Packard also built the V-12 powerplants for the PT boats.  Sorry, I'm a bit of a WWII aircraft geek. 

5/04/2023 10:55 AM  #19

TKOPerformance wrote:

ISorry, I'm a bit of a WWII aircraft geek. 

I am too. I actually have an airspeed indicator from a WW2 vintage military plane installed on the passenger side of my '68, hooked up to a real pitot tube. I pulled a little vacuum from the engine to simulate high altitude (more sensitive ram air pressure), so when I cruise down the highway, it reads something like 500 MPH. I've been working on a mockup passenger-side vintage aviation gauge set as an homage to those old birds. It's pretty ugly right now, but it works.

5/04/2023 11:32 AM  #20

That's AWESOME!

5/04/2023 1:10 PM  #21

Airplanes were my first obsession long before cars ever entered into the picture.
I soloed at 15 yo and rode a bicycle to the local airfield every day for a month  for flight training under an air cadet grant from the RCAF.
My auto driver’s license didn’t come till 6 months after my pilot licence.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/04/2023 2:49 PM  #22

The first thing I ever restored was an AT6 Texan with my neighbor (who flew for United) starting when I was about 12.  We worked on it off and on for about 3 years until it was done.  That's where I learned how to take stuff apart, catalog it, take pictures (using real cameras), clean, blast, paint, and reassemble stuff.  Flying in that completed aircraft remains one of the most incredible experiences of my life.  I did get just a little stick time too (she was a trainer after all).

I never pursued a license, maybe when I retire.  Both my grandfathers were Navy pilots in the war, and my dad and both his brothers all flew.  We always had aircraft growing up, so I spent a lot of time in small airplanes and helicopters.  I could fly a fixed wing piston engine airplane in a pinch.  I never got the hang of the helicopter.  My dad had an incredible degree of hand/eye coordination that I simply lack.  He could fly, drive, or captain anything. 

5/04/2023 8:53 PM  #23

Rudi wrote:

Airplanes were my first obsession...

Mine too. I started down the road toward becoming a career pilot, but life happened and I ended up putting my training aside just short of earning my Private Pilot license back in 2005. I went back at it a couple of summers back, but found it too hard to schedule the trifecta - instructor, aircraft, and my own free time, all at the same time, but I'll get there eventually! I have my Student license, so I guess I technically qualify as a "certificated airman". Maybe.

5/05/2023 1:23 PM  #24

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Airplanes were my first obsession...

Mine too. I started down the road toward becoming a career pilot, but life happened and I ended up putting my training aside just short of earning my Private Pilot license back in 2005. I went back at it a couple of summers back, but found it too hard to schedule the trifecta - instructor, aircraft, and my own free time, all at the same time, but I'll get there eventually! I have my Student license, so I guess I technically qualify as a "certificated airman". Maybe.

As far back as I can remember, aircraft were always in my life. My dad was a WWII and Korean War pilot, and he flew for the airlines for 28 years. I joined the Navy and my rate was Aviation Electrician's Mate (later changed to Aviation Machinist's Mate in the reserves) I flew in the A-3 Skywarrior, P-2V Neptune and P-3 Orion aircraft. When I got out, I got my Private pilot's license and my A&P license. Flying became too expensive with a wife and kids, so I gave that up and spent then next 46 years turning wrenches on General aviation aircraft, helicopters, Boeing (747, 767) and 36 years at Alaska Airlines. I will admit I really loved helicopters. Got some of bootleg stick time on Hughes 300 and some Hughes 500 aircraft. A lot different than fixed wing aircraft for sure.

Last edited by Ron68 (5/05/2023 1:25 PM)

5/05/2023 3:09 PM  #25

My Dad's last one was a Hughes 500.  Fast and nimble.  The controls weren't as smooth as a Jet Ranger, but it was faster.  We shared a hanger with the State Police at NCC Airport and my Dad and the State pilots used to go back and forth about that.  Dad liked the smooth controls, but the Staties liked the speed.  The Jet Ranger was a considerably more expensive piece of equipment though. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.