FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2023 7:45 AM  #1

New Paint on my son's 68 Mustang

My son has been busting his butt on his 68 Mustang he picked out of the Junk Yard for $400 in 2017.  He took it to my Brother in law to show him how to do the body work and paint it.  He did all the the other work by himself including welding in the floor boards and frame rails.  He learned a lot and the car turned our great.  I even got into the fun sanding it down to bare metal...LOL   The color he picked was 2021 Porsche color- Sapphire Blue Metallic. Looks really nice in the Sun!

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (9/05/2023 7:57 AM)

9/05/2023 9:28 AM  #2

Re: New Paint on my son's 68 Mustang

Beautiful!  Did he do the final spray?
At this rate, I expect to see him at the bash this month!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/05/2023 9:33 AM  #3

MS wrote:

Beautiful!  Did he do the final spray?

Agree fully. Who thought your son would get his Mustang to a bash before you Steve? 😁

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/05/2023 11:20 AM  #4

MS wrote:

Beautiful! Did he do the final spray?

Thanks!  He did some of the primer coats and his uncle did the final spray.  He added some metal flake and did a clear coat.  Left that to the professionals...LOL     Had hight hopes of getting to the bash this year but just have to many irons in the fire.   

Steve69 

Last edited by Steve69 (9/05/2023 11:23 AM)

9/05/2023 11:22 AM  #5

Bearing Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

Beautiful! Did he do the final spray?

Agree fully. Who thought your son would get his Mustang to a bash before you Steve? 😁

lol.  Yes I've had mine for 31 years and its still not done...LOL   You can get a lot done quickly being single and no family obligations....LOL   

9/05/2023 3:25 PM  #6

Outstanding job!
Watch out that spade doesn’t fall on the door.😱

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/05/2023 4:19 PM  #7

Prettttty

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

9/05/2023 9:06 PM  #8

Very nice!

9/06/2023 6:36 AM  #9

Great job, Steve.  We can rest assured that the hobby is in good hands with young work like that been done.  You can be proud.  Love it!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/06/2023 7:34 AM  #10

Rudi wrote:

Outstanding job!

I better move that for sure!

9/06/2023 7:35 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Great job, Steve.  We can rest assured that the hobby is in good hands with young work like that been done.  You can be proud.  Love it!

Thanks BB!   We have a 69 Mustang Fastback in rough shape in the back 40 that will most likely be next. 

9/06/2023 8:30 AM  #12

That was a lot of work, congratulations to your son for sticking it out to the finish.
There are many who start a project (and not as big as this one) and give up part way into it for various reasons ... like, effort, time and expense. 
He is seeing the rewards now of sticking with it. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/06/2023 11:47 AM  #13

Very nice, another stang saved from the crusher!!

1968 Coupe 289 C-4 Dave

9/06/2023 12:57 PM  #14

Suuuuh-wheeeet !!
Purdy color fer sure.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/06/2023 12:59 PM  #15

Rudi wrote:

Outstanding job!

What 'shivel'! ??????
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/06/2023 3:21 PM  #16

The rear quarters and console appear to be 67, what’s the story?

9/07/2023 7:17 AM  #17

Rudi wrote:

The title is a 68 but I think he bought parts on sale or discounted that would work.   You have a good eye.  I really couldn't tell a 67 from 68 apart.

9/07/2023 7:37 AM  #18

Steve,  that looks really nice.  I would love to have a body & paint guy in our family.....

Tell me, what was the time span between taking the car to the body shop and taking it back home?

9/08/2023 7:53 AM  #19

Looks outstanding!

9/08/2023 8:42 AM  #20

Steve69 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

The title is a 68 but I think he bought parts on sale or discounted that would work.   You have a good eye.  I really couldn't tell a 67 from 68 apart.

The 67-68 rear quarters had at least three different configurations.
The 67 has a false grille at the “c” scoop which was stamped deeper than the 68 and no provisions for the rear reflective marker.
The 68’s quarter panel had a softer impression with a two piece “c” emblem which consisted of a body colour base and chrome ornament.
The 68 panel also differed with the rear marker reflector. The early stamping had a flush reflector which was replaced about mid year with a 68 Cougar reflector when the original type became unavailable due to supplier strike.
The 67 floor console is reproduced but unfortunately the padded 68 item is not.

9/08/2023 12:59 PM  #21

TimC wrote:

Steve,  that looks really nice.  I would love to have a body & paint guy in our family.....

Tell me, what was the time span between taking the car to the body shop and taking it back home?

My son took a week's vacation off work on August 14th to 18th to work on the Mustang at my Brother in laws shop.  He brought the car back that same day and we sanded the body and parts down to metal with 60 grit sandpaper that Monday night. He took it back that Tuesday and worked on it the rest of the week. He worked on it after that on Fridays and Saturdays at the shop and sanding parts at home on the weekday nights.  Id say it was probably a 3 week process back and forth to the shop which was about 1/2 hour from my place.  When I we were sanding it down to Metal there were so many dings and bumps I was like there's no way in hell this thing is going to look great.  Boy was I wrong....LOL  Id say a show quality paint job.  He painted my 69 back in 2005 and it still looks as good as it did back then.    

9/08/2023 1:00 PM  #22

Rudi wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

The 67 has a false grille at the “c” scoop which was stamped deeper than the 68 and no provisions for the rear reflective marker.
The 68’s quarter panel had a softer impression with a two piece “c” emblem which consisted of a body colour base and chrome ornament.
The 68 panel also differed with the rear marker reflector. The early stamping had a flush reflector which was replaced about mid year with a 68 Cougar reflector when the original type became unavailable due to supplier strike.

Thanks for explaining!

9/08/2023 2:02 PM  #23

Rudi wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Wow, learn something new every day! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.