FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2023 5:34 PM  #1

MAF placement

How close can MAF be to the throttle body?

11/19/2023 9:03 AM  #2

Re: MAF placement

I remember when I did the 5.0 on Cara’s 65, some stuff I read said if it was too close it would have problems with feedback or something in the airflow. Seems like it said 12” min but that was many years ago.  Maybe somebody else better versed in EFI will know for sure.

Interesting side comment:  when I typed in “versed” my phone made it “cursed” and I thought that was probably more appropriate. 🤠

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2023 4:33 PM  #3

I've never seen a hard ad fast rule about it, but considering the placement in the Mustangs the duct from the MAF to the TB is about 18" long and has a 90 degree bend in it.  I would suppose if it was too close to the TB it could pick up the turbulence from opening and closing the throttle blade. 

11/19/2023 4:42 PM  #4

There's two things I've always heard about MAF placement. #1 keep the air intake point away from turbulence (example: don't have it right by a fan). #2 try to give the MAF tubes on either end several inches of straight tube. How close to the TB are you thinking?

11/19/2023 6:23 PM  #5

Probably within inches on a straight run.

My thoughts are to use a 4150/4160 base as a throttle body with the MAF above it a couple of inches going into an air filter housing.

Or into a typical single blade throttle body with the MAF in same position as above.

This is to stay under a stock hood.

11/19/2023 6:59 PM  #6

What MAF are you going to run? I ASSumed a Fox body MAF, but wouldn't that be awfully tall stacked vertically?

11/19/2023 7:43 PM  #7

The Holley throttle blades are not going to seal off airflow as well as the machined butterfly of a factory throttle body, which may adversely affect idle speed motor operation.
Let us know how this works out. It is great to see experimentation.
I always wondered how a sidedraft weber would work on a 5.0 efi intake. Probably not well…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/20/2023 2:54 AM  #8

Something like an old MASS-Flo Efi, setup? Some pics in this link.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mass-flo-efi-system-induction-replacement/?galleryimageid=102bf688-cc62-4b06-9a7d-57eec9e35105
I know they used a trimmed down GM maf.

Last edited by 50vert (11/20/2023 2:57 AM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/20/2023 6:33 AM  #9

The BIG issue there is programming.  No idea what they did for the MAF transfer tables, etc.  IMO, if you are going that custom, and are going to need to tune it anyway why not just go SD and not have to worry about the MAF?  This is why almost every aftermarket system is SD. 

One thing I can say for certain is that you must keep the MAF away from turbulence.  I "fixed" a lot of idle problems on Fox bodies by simply shielding an exposed air filter from the air currents created by the fan.  The car would sound like it had a cam that 6sally6 would like before. 

11/20/2023 6:50 AM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

The BIG issue there is programming.  No idea what they did for the MAF transfer tables, etc.  IMO, if you are going that custom, and are going to need to tune it anyway why not just go SD and not have to worry about the MAF?  This is why almost every aftermarket system is SD. 

One thing I can say for certain is that you must keep the MAF away from turbulence.  I "fixed" a lot of idle problems on Fox bodies by simply shielding an exposed air filter from the air currents created by the fan.  The car would sound like it had a cam that 6sally6 would like before. 

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but doesn’t the MAF system have greater tuning abilities than the SD or has things changed over the years?  I recall on the ford SD systems you couldn’t run to big of a cam or it would run like crap.  More curious than anything.

11/20/2023 3:25 PM  #11

RTM wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but doesn’t the MAF system have greater tuning abilities than the SD or has things changed over the years? I recall on the ford SD systems you couldn’t run to big of a cam or it would run like crap. More curious than anything.

The idea is that an MAF based system self learns and self adjusts better than SD.  SD can't do much once you improve airflow in and out by more than 10%.  MAF in theory can adjust itself until you reach points which are outside the bounds of the lookup tables in the ECU.  In practice though there is still a lot of benefit to tuning via programming an MAF system.  So if you are already going to be doing that you lose nothing by simply ditching the MAF and going to SD, and you gain simplicity.  Properly dialed in there is no difference in power between MAF and SD.  I watched an episode of Engine Masters where they found no difference between batch fire and sequential EFI in terms of power.  From a lot of the testing I've seen I've come to think a lot of the "improvement" in EFI over the years was done for better fuel economy, emissions, and diagnostics.  Not that those are bad things, but in an application where emissions compliance is a non issue you should weigh the benefit of a couple percent better fuel economy and somewhat better diagnostics with the added complexity of the system. 

11/20/2023 4:59 PM  #12

Basically similar to the Mass Flo/Pro-M but actually using a factory EECIV.

Accufab and Edelbrock have EFI 4150 throttle bodies to bolt to carb style intakes with multi-port injection.

This led me to think about just using a regular carb base and a MAF and throw a regular air cleaner on top.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/20/2023 5:00 PM)

11/20/2023 6:01 PM  #13

Sump'in like this LT !??
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/20/2023 6:02 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2023 6:17 PM  #14

Sum ting lyke dis Sal.

11/20/2023 10:55 PM  #15

I have always subscribed to the KISS principle. Just give me a carb that works. All that EFI stuff is too compulcated for my old brain.....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/21/2023 5:26 AM  #16

Ron…I have considered that as well.
I’ve learned more about carbs after doing my factory efi install.
I like them both.

I have even considered using an LS ECM for future as well.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/21/2023 5:30 AM)

11/21/2023 7:18 AM  #17

In a non stock application I would avoid anything with OBD2.  IMO the benefit of the EECIV system is that its pretty bare bones, yet works extremely well.  I would call it the best factory EFI ever from a hot rodding standpoint. 

11/21/2023 12:15 PM  #18

This will have a non-Sally approved cam, so I’m not too concerned.

Besides, most aftermarket efi systems use GM sensors anyway.
Plenty of support for parts…even if I have to get them off an S10.

11/21/2023 12:42 PM  #19

If it don't 'cut-up' when itz idling ....you'll be destined to never smile when ya drive it !
( I still get "excited" when I pull up next to a bunch of cars at a traffic light...the 'echo' off the other cars never gets old !!sorry)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2023 2:41 PM  #20

RTM wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but doesn’t the MAF system have greater tuning abilities than the SD or has things changed over the years? I recall on the ford SD systems you couldn’t run to big of a cam or it would run like crap. More curious than anything.

There's more to it than what TKO shared. Ford Speed Density setups are very unforgiving when it comes to camshaft selection, engine size change, etc. Mainly due to the fact that it does not have the benefit of any sort of variation other than what was programmed in the OEM computer. Ford MAF systems benefitted because the MAF sensor reports back on the mass of air entering the engine rather than relying on some hard coded info. The MAF setups also use a baro sensor vs a MAP sensor so variance from stock on the vacuum signal does not play as much havoc with the programming.

Now all of this goes out the window when you talk about aftermarket EFI setups. Most aftermarket EFI setups are speed density and use MAP sensors. Why is this better than the stock SD system? Because you enter in the *exact* details of your engine, things like displacement, injector size, etc. The aftermarket EFI then makes a calculation for fueling which you then tune. 

Another item that people get hung up on is batch fire vs sequential (most people will relate to Ford MAF vs Ford SD). Sequential (firing one cylinder at a time vs batch that fires one bank of cylinders at a time) gives you better emissions and arguable slightly better idle for the most part. At WOT you really won't notice a difference. Modern stuff (both aftermarket EFI and newer cars) run full sequential. Now, where full sequential really shines is when you have a fast enough processor and individual cylinder feedback (think 1 O2 sensor or EGT per cylinder) that allows you to adjust fueling for each cylinder. For OEM's full sequential again helps them with emissions and drivability while also giving us the performance we want. Aftermarket EFI uses it mainly to extract the maximum amount of HP out of the engine as safe as possible.

11/22/2023 6:33 AM  #21

You still need to be somewhat careful on your cam selection with MAF, particularly when you look at the LSA and overlap.  EFI cams are always ground on a wider LSA (112-114), and they tend to favor higher lift numbers and lower duration to reduce overlap.

The biggest advantage to sequential EFI in a performance application comes when you are running nitrous or boost.  The ability to trim the fueling in each cylinder doesn't really make any more power, but you can keep 1 or 2 holes from going lean which may save the engine from a catastrophic failure. 

11/22/2023 7:59 AM  #22

Raymond…my understanding when I look at the wiring diagrams and schematics is the “injectors” fire in a batch not the ignition system.  Plugs fire one at a time just like points.

Ford also had two types of speed density.
Sequential and batch.
This controls the injectors and spark is distributed via the distributor as triggered by PIP.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/22/2023 8:00 AM)

11/22/2023 9:31 AM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

Raymond…my understanding when I look at the wiring diagrams and schematics is the “injectors” fire in a batch not the ignition system. Plugs fire one at a time just like points.

Ford also had two types of speed density.
Sequential and batch.
This controls the injectors and spark is distributed via the distributor as triggered by PIP.

You are 100% correct, the plugs definitely fire per cylinder and yes Ford did make the transition (if you're speaking about Fox Mustangs) to a sequential SD system then MAF. That's why swapping an SD Mustang to MAF is so darn easy. However their trucks remained batch fire until they went MAF and why you have to change an SD truck's injector harness if you're swapping to a MAF or aftermarket setup to be sequential. I am sure I am being pedantic, but it's worth pointing out.

With regards to sequential and fully sequential, I should have been more clear on when I was speaking about aftermarket or modern systems vs the 90's tech Fox stuff The PiP signal is OK for early model sequential, but you really need both a cam and a crank sensor to be truly full sequential. Holley kind of "cheats" with their dual sync distributors, but again you gain real precision with a proper crank and cam sensor.

I feel bad that I've contributed to a big time thread derail, I'll be quiet now!

11/22/2023 10:22 AM  #24

I appreciate your knowledge about all of this Raymond.
I appreciate it.

Speed density is like “serpentine belts”…many assume serpentine means CCW rotation.

What can factory speed density (sequential or batch) support?
Idle-5500 (6k max) would be my application in NA torm.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/22/2023 10:28 AM)

11/22/2023 4:48 PM  #25

The issue with a factory SD system is it is tuned for the engine it was on from the factory.  Its is highly reliant on lookup tables, which were created based on the airflow ability of the engine it came on.  Now, if you can tune it you just change the lookup tables to work with your new engine.  You would need a way to datalog A/F ratios and then adjust the tables accordingly.  They have some ability to learn, but its not great.  A decent performance cam, even an EFI grind is going to give it fits.  You'll be rich at idle and lean at WOT, basically a recipe for disaster. 

If you don't want to have to tune it, or don't know anyone who can I would steer you to an MAF system if the engine is going to be stockish, or an aftermarket system if its not. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.