FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2023 4:00 PM  #1

Second Skin

Anyone use Second Skin’s spray in thermal coating and sound deadener?  Been researching sound deadener the last few days and I’m leaning towards this product.

11/19/2023 8:57 AM  #2

Re: Second Skin

Not that one but I did see a Lizard Skin demo where they had a piece of flat aluminum sheetmetal that had 1/2 of it sprayed with the lizard skin and half with paint. They placed it atop a shrouded spotlight fixture. The painted side got really hot and the lizard skin side stayed cool. I was impressed. But around $400 for enough to do the inside of the truck cab.

Is Second Skin a similar product?  This stuff was only like 1/32” thick at most.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2023 9:38 AM  #3

MS wrote:

Not that one but I did see a Lizard Skin demo where they had a piece of flat aluminum sheetmetal that had 1/2 of it sprayed with the lizard skin and half with paint. They placed it atop a shrouded spotlight fixture. The painted side got really hot and the lizard skin side stayed cool. I was impressed. But around $400 for enough to do the inside of the truck cab.

Is Second Skin a similar product?  This stuff was only like 1/32” thick at most.

It appears to be a similar product.  I don’t recall the thickness off the top of my head.  I know the thermal coating has ceramic balls in it. The second skin is popping up more than lizard skin when I’ve searched for sound deadening.   Maybe it’s just the words I’m using to search.  I should read up lizard products.   Second Skin has 20% until Nov 27th.

11/19/2023 9:47 AM  #4

RTM wrote:

MS wrote:

Is Second Skin a similar product? This stuff was only like 1/32” thick at most.

It appears to be a similar product. I don’t recall the thickness off the top of my head. I know the thermal coating has ceramic balls in it. The second skin is popping up more than lizard skin when I’ve searched for sound deadening. Maybe it’s just the words I’m using to search. I should read up lizard products. Second Skin has 20% until Nov 27th.

I used Lizard Skin years ago on my floor boards. I used the ceramic insulation version. I tried rollering it on but I didn't think it went on thick enough. I ended up buying their spray gun and that worked a lot better. Didn't do any tests to see how well it worked, but it looked good.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

11/20/2023 6:59 AM  #5

I had some time yesterday after working on the mustang to research the difference between Lizard and Second Skin products. One thing that popped up was Lizard skin has several different products and most people fail to mention which Lizard skin product they used.  Some are not even close to being the as the Second Skin products.  This makes it very difficult to try and get a fair comparison when searching the net.  With what little I did find I’m leaning towards Second Skin and since they have a 20% off sale right now.   It’s a perfect time to buy.  I’ll buy 5 gallons of sound deadener and two gallons of Thermal barrier.

I would like to spray the roof with both products but need to find out if one has to applied before the other.   I’ll spray sound deadener in the doors, inside of the floor and I’m not sure if I should spray the truck and rear part of the quarter panels.  Thinking of spraying it all.  After all I plan to drive this thing a lot.  Not planning on winning any races or shows.

11/20/2023 5:38 PM  #6

I went El-cheap route ( who me ?!!) years ago and did the stick on stuff you get at Home Depot. I covered all the rear wheel wells(interior side)floor and bulkhead between the trunk and rear seat...even the rear package tray.
I was amazed at all the small holes and gaps in the interior of a 60 year old car. Anywho....I 'believe' it was worth the added expense and work to do it.
(don't forget to sound damp the inside of the door panels too)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2023 6:54 PM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

I went El-cheap route ( who me ?!!) years ago and did the stick on stuff you get at Home Depot. I covered all the rear wheel wells(interior side)floor and bulkhead between the trunk and rear seat...even the rear package tray.
I was amazed at all the small holes and gaps in the interior of a 60 year old car. Anywho....I 'believe' it was worth the added expense and work to do it.
(don't forget to sound damp the inside of the door panels too)
6sally6

Doors will be done too.

11/21/2023 7:14 PM  #8

I've heard nothing but good things about Lizard Skin, when/if I ever do another vehicle it will be with that.

11/24/2023 9:34 AM  #9

I used Lizard skin for sound and heat. Bought the spray gun to go with it. Seems to have done a pretty decent job.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/24/2023 12:11 PM  #10

The Second Skin products arrived the other day.  May be a couple of weeks before I can spray it on.   Need to finish welding a couple of brackets to floor.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.