FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2023 12:06 PM  #1

I have a fun new winter project.

Just came today.  I am totally upgrading and pimping out my mini mill.  They are a seig x2 clone that everyone sells.   Putting in the air spring kit, metal gears, and the fun part, dro all three axis.

I enjoy playing with this thing, and might as well make it better.

If anyone is interested there are great you tube videos on upgrading these machines.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/17/2023 7:31 PM  #2

Re: I have a fun new winter project.

C'mon Bullet, jump on in here!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/17/2023 8:30 PM  #3

I inherited a 1980 vintage Enco Drill-Mill couple of years ago.  Installed a 3-axis DRO from an Ebay source a few months ago...man, what a difference.  I had to custom make all the mounting hardware but the only real issue was, and still is, understanding the Won Hung Low instructions. 

Good on you Greg, you gonna love it!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/18/2023 9:58 AM  #4

Bullet Bob wrote:

I inherited a 1980 vintage Enco Drill-Mill couple of years ago.  Installed a 3-axis DRO from an Ebay source a few months ago...man, what a difference.  I had to custom make all the mounting hardware but the only real issue was, and still is, understanding the Won Hung Low instructions. 

Good on you Greg, you gonna love it!

Instructions?  We don't need no stinking instructions!   We got YouTube videos!

There are a bunch of different videos of what I want to do, and everyone one them did it a bit different way, of course.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/18/2023 11:01 AM  #5

Whats yo talken about willis? Dont unersatn man. Need some picktures please!

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

11/18/2023 12:07 PM  #6

Quicksilver wrote:

Whats yo talken about willis? Dont unersatn man. Need some picktures please!

Here is a video example of mod #1.  This should get you familiar with the machine and its capabilities on small parts.  When I bought it and a mini latge, I viewed them as learning tools.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVmgFnre-I&pp=ygUYTWluaSBtaWxsIGFpciBzcHJpbmcgbW9k

I bet Daze would've or could of made some great mod videos.  After all, he built his own mill!

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/lROp1eW3R5Y       he's the man!

Here is an example of the dro mod.  I also bought the light in this one too earlier this summer. Just a sewing machine light!  I may do what he did with the wiring.  Seems logical. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S4clHV4DkRo&pp=ygUPRHJvIGEgbWluaSBtaWxs

I also may add a spindle tach, but kind of seems overkill.  If I was making something production wise, I'd definitely do the power feed conversion on the x axis.   But its more of a learning and fun hobby thing for me.

Last edited by Greg B (11/18/2023 12:26 PM)

11/18/2023 3:59 PM  #7

That sounds like a fun project.  I use to be a cnc programmer.  I have an associates degree for it.  Been many years since I’ve programmed anything.

11/24/2023 10:21 AM  #8

We went shopping, tooling around a Menards.   I get a piece of aluminum L angle. Wife   "what's that for?".   It is for my mill project.  I am going to use it for a cover for one of the gauges (x axis) so metal chips deflect away.  It has to be non-ferrous.   Btw what happened to the boxes my stuff came in?   Wife. "I wrapped them both up for Christmas".   Me blank stare...lol

Life in the midwest.

11/24/2023 12:19 PM  #9

Greg B wrote:

We went shopping, tooling around a Menards.   I get a piece of aluminum L angle. Wife   "what's that for?".   It is for my mill project.  I am going to use it for a cover for one of the gauges (x axis) so metal chips deflect away.  It has to be non-ferrous.   Btw what happened to the boxes my stuff came in?   Wife. "I wrapped them both up for Christmas".   Me blank stare...lol

Life in the midwest.

You bought your own Xmas gift.   Lol

11/30/2023 4:27 AM  #10

You're gonna love the DRO. I decided at the get-go not to rely on the handwheels. The DRO simplifies everything! If you want some tips on mini-mill and lathe machining watch Blondihacks. She (yes I said SHE) is a software engineer that builds model steam engines as a hobby. This chick is very smart and articulate- a natural born teacher. The only down side is that if you watch her you will be buying a lot of new tools to make jobs go easier. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.