FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2023 11:32 PM  #1

What do you like oil pressure to read on a 5.0 roller cam engine?

I was thinking it should read 45-50 psi

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/22/2023 8:52 AM  #2

Re: What do you like oil pressure to read on a 5.0 roller cam engine?

Pretty sure it depends on the rpm. Not me, but the revs.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/22/2023 3:19 PM  #3

At idle ?(warm)...........20-ish maybe...sorta...enough to keep the oil light OFF ! (that always bugged me)

6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/22/2023 4:51 PM  #4

You only need 10psi of oil pressure per 1,000 RPM.  A SBF has a great oiling system.  No need for special pumps, etc.  I've always run a standard volume and pressure Melling pump.  I've checked several over the yeas and the clearances are already perfect from the factory (like they'd been blueprinted).

So, at idle 20psi is fine, so long as you've got 60psi or more at 6,000RPM. 

5.0s used 5W30 from the factory, and heavier oil will typically increase oil pressure IME. 

11/23/2023 4:11 PM  #5

I had put high volume oil pump in my 5.0 build  not sure what it is soon as I get the 3;55 gears in it is going to another buddys house to check the roller rockers and push rod length along with cam stuff.

11/24/2023 7:44 AM  #6

I would swap it for a standard volume pump.  All a high volume pump does is suck all the oil out of the pan and pump it into the top end, where with a roller cam you don't need as much of it anyway.  High volume pumps are one of those MORE = BETTER things.  A solution in search of a problem.  On the other hand, if the engine is already in the car and you siliconed the oil pan on I would probably just run it. 

11/24/2023 12:11 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would swap it for a standard volume pump.  All a high volume pump does is suck all the oil out of the pan and pump it into the top end,  

Since the top end gets its oil thru the push rods, I find it hard to believe it's possible  to drain the oil pan. The drain holes in the head are mucho bigger than the supply holes in the pushrods.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/24/2023 1:36 PM  #8

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would swap it for a standard volume pump.  All a high volume pump does is suck all the oil out of the pan and pump it into the top end,  

Since the top end gets its oil thru the push rods, I find it hard to believe it's possible to drain the oil pan. The drain holes in the head are mucho bigger than the supply holes in the pushrods.

Pressure vs. gravity.  Yes, the passages are smaller than the drainback holes, but the oil coming through them is under pump pressure.  On race engines with wide clearances where a HV pump is recommended it is also recommended to enlarge the drainback holes, go to edge orifice lifters, or install restrictors in the oil galleries.  There are quite a few threads about people who failed to do this and ended up with smoking caused by too much oil in the top end. 

Also when draining back the oil hits the cam, crank, rods, etc.  This tends to rope and aerate the oil, neither of which is good.  Then the pump sucks up that aerated oil at a faster rate than a standard volume pump would exacerbating the problem due to wash, rinse, repeat occurring more rapidly. 

In the end my thoughts are simply why take the chance?  Run the pump you need. 

11/25/2023 10:53 AM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Since the top end gets its oil thru the push rods, I find it hard to believe it's possible to drain the oil pan. The drain holes in the head are mucho bigger than the supply holes in the pushrods.

Pressure vs. gravity.  Yes, the passages are smaller than the drainback holes, but the oil coming through them is under pump pressure.  On race engines with wide clearances where a HV pump is recommended it is also recommended to enlarge the drainback holes, go to edge orifice lifters, or install restrictors in the oil galleries.  There are quite a few threads about people who failed to do this and ended up with smoking caused by too much oil in the top end. 

Also when draining back the oil hits the cam, crank, rods, etc.  This tends to rope and aerate the oil, neither of which is good.  Then the pump sucks up that aerated oil at a faster rate than a standard volume pump would exacerbating the problem due to wash, rinse, repeat occurring more rapidly. 

TKO – good explanation, one comment I’ll offer is that oil pumps are a “positive displacement” type pump.  Each rotation of the pump discharges a specific volume of fluid, pressure is regulated by a pressure relief spring mounted in the pump. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/25/2023 11:33 AM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would swap it for a standard volume pump.  All a high volume pump does is suck all the oil out of the pan and pump it into the top end, where with a roller cam you don't need as much of it anyway.  High volume pumps are one of those MORE = BETTER things.  A solution in search of a problem.  On the other hand, if the engine is already in the car and you siliconed the oil pan on I would probably just run it. 

Yes its already in there

11/25/2023 5:22 PM  #11

BobE wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

TKO – good explanation, one comment I’ll offer is that oil pumps are a “positive displacement” type pump.  Each rotation of the pump discharges a specific volume of fluid, pressure is regulated by a pressure relief spring mounted in the pump. 

Correct, and so long as you don't get a pump which is billed as being "high pressure".  You could always shim the pressure relief spring if you wanted more pressure, but I'm not sure why you would. 

11/25/2023 8:49 PM  #12

As oil pump can only pump as much as the clearances and bleedoff in the engine will allow. It bypasses the rest, whether high volume or regular volume.
I prefer the insurance of a high volume pump.
My 427 has a standard volume and suffers from lower pressures at idle.
My 331 has an HV and maintains good pressure at all times.  Every previous engine has had an HV pump. No problems. Just consistent pressure showing on the gauge.
I have never had a gauge go to zero because it pumped all the oil out of the pan. That is a laughable scenario to me.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/26/2023 7:20 AM  #13

What are the main and rod bearing clearances in the 427 vs. the 331?  I would posit that the 427, being a very high performance engine has wide clearances.  I also seem to remember the 427 is an aluminum block engine, and from what I've read the clearances in an aluminum block tend to open up as the engine comes up to operating temperature due to aluminum's higher coefficient of thermal expansion compared to cast iron.

No one ever said the gauge would go to zero because there was NO oil in the pan.  That scenario is indeed laughable.  However, you can absolutely over oil the top end leading to smoking, AND what's the quality of the oil in the pan?  Highly aerated oil will still show pressure, but isn't doing your engine any favors over oil that is less aerated. 

Again, neither I, nor anyone else ever said NO engine needs a HV pump, in fact exactly the opposite.  What I'm saying is that based on my experience, my discussions with engine builders and machinists, and the dozen or so books I've read on engine building is that a TYPICAL street engine doesn't need one.  An oil pump is like any other part.  It needs to be matched to the combination.

11/26/2023 4:53 PM  #14

I had to mess with the relief valve a bit (make a new spool for it) to get10 psi per thousand rpms on my race motor. It has a high flow pump because I ran a pass on the dyno with an extra half of a thousandth of clearence on the rods and mains which produced an amount of horsepower I could not pass up. With the stock spool in the relief valve I was good till 6000 rpms but then the pressure just sat steady up to my 8400 shift point. With the spool I made I now have full 85 psi at shift. I made a snout extension on the spool/poppet to get the right pressure drop. It helped to have worked in the hydraulics industry for ten years. Ane still have access to quite a development lab with all the test equipment.

11/27/2023 7:15 PM  #15

DC…do you have a picture of this?

Just curious…perhaps I can help someone in future…or myself.

11/28/2023 9:53 AM  #16

Years ago, for a very limited budget 351W street engine build, we put a couple of washers behind the relief spring of the stock oil pump, I believe it bumped the pressure up to 60-65psi. 

11/28/2023 6:06 PM  #17

One of my favorites at the South Eastern Gasser races is a 63 Fairlane  with a SBF engine....351 base. (IT'S A BAD 'UN !!!)
He leaves the line at 12,000RPM and shifts at 10,000 !!  YIKES!!      (thx RPM)
Wonder what kinda oil press he runs ?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/28/2023 6:18 PM  #18

crazy poems funny

Right he'ah !
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/28/2023 6:19 PM)

11/29/2023 6:55 AM  #19

I'm guessing that engine is destroked.  I used to see some guys run SBCs like that.  Big bore, short stroke, long rod. 

11/29/2023 7:15 AM  #20

6sally6 wrote:

One of my favorites at the South Eastern Gasser races is a 63 Fairlane  with a SBF engine....351 base. (IT'S A BAD 'UN !!!)
6sal6

That has to be a blast to drive and just hear.

11/29/2023 8:41 AM  #21

6sally6 wrote:

One of my favorites at the South Eastern Gasser races is a 63 Fairlane with a SBF engine....351 base. (IT'S A BAD 'UN !!!)
He leaves the line at 12,000RPM and shifts at 10,000 !! YIKES!! (thx RPM)
6sal6

At that RPM, I wonder how often he needs to replace valve springs!

11/29/2023 4:11 PM  #22

RTM wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

That has to be a blast to drive and just hear.

" It do sing!!"
6s6

11/30/2023 10:41 AM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

DC…do you have a picture of this?

Just curious…perhaps I can help someone in future…or myself.

I do not have a pic, but it was an extension on the end of the spool that created a slower pressure drop as you opened the valve more. it had an angle on it which took some playing to get correct.

12/01/2023 5:55 AM  #24

Did you have to change spring as well?

Just trying to understand what changes affect the pump output.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.