FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2023 1:13 PM  #1

Rechrome vent windows or buy new?

Since I’m finally getting to where things are going back on my build, I decided to look at my vent window frames.  Well they are not as nice as I was hoping so I looked at new ones and was shocked at the cost.  I’m trying to find a shop that can rechrome them here in Florida.   Just curious what others have done when it came to this point, new or rechrome?  I’m hoping the cost of the rechrome is cheaper than buying new, but my gut feeling says it won’t be.

12/18/2023 5:32 PM  #2

Re: Rechrome vent windows or buy new?

I completely disassembled my vent window assemblies and sent the frames out for re-chroming.  Never have regretted that decision, Bob.  I guess it's getting harder to find a chrome shop these days but if you can find a good one I think you'll be better off.  I used New Age in Houston but that was in 2015.  They did a nice job however, it seems that the plating scratches easily.  Something to ask about, I guess.  It does look way better than the "flash chrome" crap on most re-pop stuff.   Good luck, as nice as your car looks from the pix you have posted, I'd think you want the chrome work as nice as you can get.
Also, if you are planning to keep the stainless bright work, I recommend you ding it out and polish it yourself.  Took me about a week to do the parts for the Heap but, again, I'm not sorry I did it   And, I learned a lot.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/18/2023 5:49 PM  #3

I would always advocate rechroming over repop.  Its hard to find shops in the US due to all the environmental restrictions.  There's still a couple good ones out there though.  One thing to specify is that you want "show chrome".  Shops tend to take more time and provide a better result if you specify its for a show car.  The cost will likely go up as well, but the quality and durability will also be better.  Remember chrome is clear.  The shiny metal color is actually nickel.  The chrome just protects the nickel.  The cheap stuff I think uses a single dip in the chrome, but the good stuff is billed as "triple chrome plated". 

12/18/2023 7:13 PM  #4

Chrome is only one layer and spends a short dip in the tank, and not clear. Triple chrome plating is copper, nickel, and chrome.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/19/2023 6:13 AM  #5

https://www.arlingtonplating.com/capabilities/nickel-chrome-plating/

Explains the process a bit better.  The chrome layer isn't completely clear, but its not opaque either; its translucent.  It affects the way the nickle below is perceived, but most of what you see is still the nickel. 

12/19/2023 6:35 AM  #6

There's a shop in Brillion, Wis. can't remember the name right now but they did my frames on the 66 fifteen years ago and still look as good as new. they have seen a lot of time out on the road too. The owner also is a Mustang guy. 

2/05/2024 1:06 PM  #7

Contacted a chrome shop here in Florida.  They are $275 per cent window frame.   Sadly they have a four month turnaround time.   Door handles are $95 each.  I should have started this process a long time ago. I’ll check a few other places and see what other options I have.

2/05/2024 1:16 PM  #8

What about powder coating them in say "smoke chrome".

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/05/2024 4:03 PM  #9

Quicksilver wrote:

What about powder coating them in say "smoke chrome".

I’ve thought about doing that to all the trim.

2/05/2024 4:04 PM  #10

Anyone ever powder coat the window trim and drip rail trim?  Would it hold up while installing them.

2/06/2024 12:19 PM  #11

I would be most concerned about the drip rail.  The only thing I'd worry about on the vent frames would be the thickness of the powder coat v.s chrome.  I also don't know if powder coating would be cheaper than chrome depending on the amount of prep involved.  Pits, etc. need to be filled prior to coating and you can only use certain types of filler.  If it were me I'd just bite the bullet and get them rechromed.  Its a one time expense, and its a know quantity. 

2/07/2024 5:08 AM  #12

I’ve got another chrome place to call and it’s recommended by my uncle.  I’ll call them today. 

At this point I’m really just looking at having to buy the aftermarket frames and put them together, I already have the seals.   This would be the quickest way to start putting parts back on the car and allow me to take my time to rechrome the originals.

2/07/2024 6:08 AM  #13

I don't know about the earlier frames, but on the '67 ones there was one part that wasn't available, basically forcing you to buy the entire vent window assembly rather than piece them together (which was otherwise cheaper and allowed you to use the correct date coded glass).  Personally I'd just wait and use the rechromed originals.  I look at it this way: its taken how long to get the car to the point its at now?  What's another month?  I also really, really hate doing things twice.  Especially on a freshly painted car. 

2/16/2024 11:28 AM  #14

Sending my frames out to be rechromed.   Should be a two week turnaround plus shipping time. $400 to do both frames.

2/16/2024 1:30 PM  #15

Cool, let us know where you sent them and how they turn out.  Most of us can probably use a good chrome shop.

2/17/2024 7:27 AM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

Cool, let us know where you sent them and how they turn out.  Most of us can probably use a good chrome shop.

Yep, not to many around here anymore, due to environmental/chemical issues.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/01/2024 8:49 AM  #17

The shop is in CA.   My uncle gave me the shop owners cell phone number and that’s how I’ve been communicating with him.  Funny, but I don’t know the shop name, well not yet.

Parts finally got shipped out.  Work has been super busy but we always are this time of year with all the snow birds here in SWFL.   

Shop owner claims a two week turn around. Praying I’ll have them back in three weeks from now.  When I spoke to the owner he went into great detail on the challenges of rechroming that type of metal.  So it sounds like he has the experience to get the job done right.

4/03/2024 5:40 AM  #18

Window frames were shipped out yesterday.   The short video he sent looks great.  Can’t wait to see them and get it all back together.  Then I can return the robot tool I borrowed.

4/03/2024 3:44 PM  #19

Probably a good move. I look forward to hearing how the re-chrome process goes and the reassembly with the new rubbers.
I went with the reproductions on mine and they don't fit as well as the originals (see my post), but I will live with it.
I kept my original vent windows and put them away for future.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/03/2024 4:49 PM  #20

To clean up pot metal and such to powder coat of paint or rechrome, use solder and file. 

For powdercoating, going to need a high temp type solder like muggy weld.   

Doesn't anyone ever watch Bad Chad?

For everyone of his bad ideas or "shortcuts" there is a lot of great ideas for the everyman.

Hes my mind of beer league.  Lol

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/04/2024 3:33 AM  #21

I think I’m still below the cost of replacements in parts and chrome costs but if you add my time then one could say it cost more to go this route. But building them isn’t a cost factor.   I have $550 in chrome work and shipping fees.  That’s from FL to CA and back. 

I do need to replace one vent window.  I notice the little pivot piece is loose from its frame.

4/06/2024 11:43 AM  #22

Window frames have arrived.  I’ve never had anything rechromed before but they look really good. 

4/06/2024 2:40 PM  #23

I think you'll be glad you went to the trouble, Bob.  I know I am glad I did.  Now you can try out those rivet sets.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/06/2024 3:45 PM  #24

Bullet Bob wrote:

I think you'll be glad you went to the trouble, Bob.  I know I am glad I did.  Now you can try out those rivet sets.

Yes and return them.  It’s taken longer than I had planned. 

I do need to figure out how to install the longer piece that looked like it had two small tube type rivets. 

Going this route only cost maybe $100 more and that’s because of shipping.  I still need to find a replace vent window.

4/06/2024 10:51 PM  #25

RTM can you share the name and number of the chrome shop I want to get my bummpers done. I have 3 to do.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.