FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2023 7:33 PM  #1

I did a non traditional parts cleaning solution shootout

Seams like I am always needing to clean some engine part and I am not a fan of the more traditional chemical dips due to harshness and smell.  The internet is full of peoples "solutions" for dipping and for carbs Pine-sol kept coming up.  This summer at the bash I was visiting with MS and and he recommended Purple Power for cleaning part.  I decided to try them both and see which one worked better.  

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/30/2023 9:04 PM  #2

Re: I did a non traditional parts cleaning solution shootout

Great comparison, Daze. I do always dilute the Purple Power and have not experienced any foaming with it. Most of my cleaning this summer was closer to 90-100 degrees. Yes, cast pistons were discolored a little, but steel parts do get really clean.
Based on your unbiased study, I see no reason NOT to switch over to Pine-Sol, though. Thanks for performing the tests!

Could the Pine Sol also be diluted to reduce the cost?  I was using that cut 2.5 gallon container to do four pistons/rods at a time.

I have some old Holley carbs, too.  I will have to do the Pine-Sol soak on those, even though I have always felt soaking a carb was likely detrimental to small passages.  I am thinking clean with aerosol carb cleaner as usual, then a soak to clean up stained exterior.  Let us know how the throttle bodies come out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/31/2023 8:33 AM  #3

I wonder how it would work in an ultrasonic cleaner.   I was thinking of buying one and waited until HF came out with their new years 25%  off coupon.  This year it had the exception that it doesn't count.   .   So no ultrasonic cleaner for me.

I did soak some rubber stuff in pine sol once.  It really refreshed it.   AND it made the basement smell great!   Pine sol is good stuff.

Edit: I posted before watching your video.

Last edited by Greg B (12/31/2023 8:46 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/31/2023 8:43 AM  #4

Purple Power has been the cleaner I keep in my spray bottles for years now.  It does a great job at breaking up dirt.  I always rinse it off very well because it will attack many materials if left on.  Rinsing is important.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/31/2023 9:41 AM  #5

Interesting, I've found that straight kerosene to clean parts works pretty good.  However, many other available cleaners and de-greasers worked just as well.  Although they didn't leave a nice pine smell afterward!  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/31/2023 10:09 AM  #6

Of the spray stuff I find 2+2 works the best.  The problem with all of it is that they removed the trichloroethylene from it due to VOC regulations.  I've considered just going to straight Kero.  Diesel also works good, but leaves more of an oily film than Kero. 

12/31/2023 10:23 AM  #7

MS wrote:

Could the Pine Sol also be diluted to reduce the cost? I was using that cut 2.5 gallon container to do four pistons/rods at a time.

I do not know about diluting it.  Might work but all the research I did they were using it at full strength.  It is not that expensive and can be reused quite a few times.

Greg B wrote:

I wonder how it would work in an ultrasonic cleaner. I was thinking of buying one and waited until HF came out with their new years 25% off coupon. This year it had the exception that it doesn't count. . So no ultrasonic cleaner for me.

I did soak some rubber stuff in pine sol once. It really refreshed it. AND it made the basement smell great! Pine sol is good stuff.

You are stepping all over future videos 😂😂😂  I have an ultrasonic cleaner that is carb size, got it from Amazon.  I am going to do one throttle body in the cleaner and one in a non agitated soak.  I am also going to do a video on restoring rubber with pine-sol.  I have been doing that for years and it is a fantastic technique.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/31/2023 10:49 AM  #8

I used to use pine sol to remove paint on model cars. Just put it in a large jar to cover the whole car full strength for a couple of days and watch the old paint bubble off of the parts. Leave nothing butt clean plastic ready to paint again! Comes in different smells also.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

12/31/2023 3:04 PM  #9

Daze wrote:

MS wrote:

Could the Pine Sol also be diluted to reduce the cost? I was using that cut 2.5 gallon container to do four pistons/rods at a time.

I do not know about diluting it.  Might work but all the research I did they were using it at full strength.  It is not that expensive and can be reused quite a few times.

Greg B wrote:

I wonder how it would work in an ultrasonic cleaner. I was thinking of buying one and waited until HF came out with their new years 25% off coupon. This year it had the exception that it doesn't count. . So no ultrasonic cleaner for me.

I did soak some rubber stuff in pine sol once. It really refreshed it. AND it made the basement smell great! Pine sol is good stuff.

You are stepping all over future videos 😂😂😂  I have an ultrasonic cleaner that is carb size, got it from Amazon.  I am going to do one throttle body in the cleaner and one in a non agitated soak.  I am also going to do a video on restoring rubber with pine-sol.  I have been doing that for years and it is a fantastic technique.

It did wonders for my 63 Gal Hardtop wing rubbers.  Still pliable 15 years later.  And they probably still smell good to boot!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/31/2023 8:02 PM  #10

That rubber refurbishment trick is daddy O!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/31/2023 8:16 PM  #11

Over the years, I have had the joy of getting a handful of older Honda motorcycles back on the road (60's and 70's stuff).  I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use to clean the carbs.  I use diluted Simple green.  Works like magic, but it does discolor the cast aluminum.  Works great on curb picked snow blowers too, for those of you familiar with those machines.....

12/31/2023 9:26 PM  #12

TimC wrote:

I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use to clean the carbs.  I use diluted Simple green.  Works like magic, but it does discolor the cast aluminum.  

That is what is so amazing about Pine-sol it gets it clean with NO etching or discoloration.

1/01/2024 6:16 AM  #13

I used that purple cleaner on my bicycle chain while the chain was still on the bike.  It ruined the clear coat finish on my crank arms.

1/01/2024 8:07 AM  #14

That is why I rinse it really well.  Purple Power is a good cleaner and takes time to do any damage.  So cleaning and rinsing works for me.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/01/2024 9:16 AM  #15

TimC wrote:

Works great on curb picked snow blowers too, for those of you familiar with those machines.....

Oh, the different things people put out to the curb. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/01/2024 10:45 AM  #16

A coworker used Simple Green (50% solution) and ultrasonic cleaner on his Honda boat carburetors.
He is very particular about genuine Honda parts too.

I have used Oil Eater (50% solution) to clean residual oil baked on by the sun and freezing weather on equipment and transformers at work with mechanical assistance (nylon and brass brushes).  Didn’t have the option to soak.  Worked great for degreasing the foxbody oil pan exterior.  It is a surfactant and the use of water enhances the cleaning action from my small experiments.

The use of a 2 gallon garden spray bottle made it easy to apply in limited spaces too as well as for remote locations without running water available.

Both of these didn’t seem to affect paint or powder coating on short application time frame like oxygen displacing aerosol degreasers.

Doesn’t Purple Power have a warning about etching aluminum on the label?
Water might make it a more effective cleaner too without as much etching.

At least we know what to expect.

I enjoy your experiments like this.

What was the cost comparison?

1/04/2024 9:44 AM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

Doesn’t Purple Power have a warning about etching aluminum on the label?
Water might make it a more effective cleaner too without as much etching.

I would need to look again but I believe it said "use caution" around aluminum and not much more

Nos681 wrote:

I enjoy your experiments like this.

What was the cost comparison?

Thanks, I try to do it in a way that does a real apples to apples comparison.  I never thought to compare cost.  I just went to Walmart's website and it looks like the purple power is cheaper but neither are very expensive for the job they are doing.  Depending on the size bottle you get the Purple power is about half the cost of the Pine-Sol.

As promised I did another experiment and put one of my throttle bodies in a Pine-Sol  24 hour soak and the other throttle body went into a Pine-Sol filled ultrasonic cleaner.  That video will drop in a couple weeks.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.